Conquer Club

Three Kingdoms of Korea [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea v8

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:26 am

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby theBastard on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 am

it would be better with red junk in hwangsanbeol. for what have hwangsanbeol and aragaya connection over sea when they have land border?
I had broken my right hand (4-5 month ago) and now I have wrong adherent knucklebone of the thumb. therefore I have some problems with it and I must end my works on maps.sorry my english
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 am

The connection is not just between them. Both can also connect to Kyushu or Tamna.

Postby theBastard on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 am

natty_dread wrote:The connection is not just between them. Both can also connect to Kyushu or Tamna.

and why not to add red junk to hwangsanbeol? it will has connection with kyushu and honshu. four green junks give too mush assault possibilities. do not forgot that hwangsanbeol and aragaya have land border, so there will be short acess to green junk.

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:50 am

The green junk in hwangsanbeol is because Tamna gives bonus to Silla, so it gives Silla a reason to invade Baekje.

Also there are other historical reasons for the connections. If you want to know more ask IH, he's the one designing the gameplay.

Postby theBastard on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 am

natty_dread wrote:The green junk in hwangsanbeol is because Tamna gives bonus to Silla, so it gives Silla a reason to invade Baekje.

Also there are other historical reasons for the connections. If you want to know more ask IH, he's the one designing the gameplay.

then add red junk to aragaya...
and you will have historical connections between gaya and japan as IH mentioned.

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:58 am

Well, that might make sense, we'll have to see what IH thinks of it.

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 am

Well technically, the historical connections were between Kyushu and Gaya, not Honshu and Gaya... but that can be overlooked ;) I could be ok for a Red Junk there in Aragaya.

But here's a though... what about getting rid of the Red Junks and just making them green? I mean, all they do is serve a connection between the Japanese Islands. One could have just as sailed to Honshu rather than Kyushu. Plus, I'm starting to like this open sea that is developing in the region and connecting all the islands.

Thoughts?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 am

But here's a though... what about getting rid of the Red Junks and just making them green?

This could be a good solution. We could have one less Junk in Wa and make the whole southeast area easier to "read".

---

Anyway... me & IH have been discussing the starting territories by pm, and we have them mostly figured out...

The plan is to make capitals into neutral 2:s, and code all the territories that are adjacent to capitals as starting positions, so everyone has an equal chance to grab the capitals at the beginning. The only problem with this is that coding 9 starting positions would cause bad drops for 2-player games (they would start with 12 territories).

The solution for this would be making the territory bonus into 1 for every 4 territories, with a minimum of 3. This way the 12 territory drops wouldn't matter, and it would further highlight the importance of the capitals and castles as sources of troops.

Postby Riskismy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:50 pm

The legend has 6 bonus areas, but I can find only 5 capitals (bon-gaya, gyaongju, narig, pyon and qing). Wa is not supposed to have a capital, I gather? In that case, how would you gain the bonus for holding wa territories?

I don't like the idea of having the starts being adjacent to capitals. Narig and qing would have a ball, starting very far from any other player. Maybe it would be an idea to re-arrange the junks and have them work as starting territories. At least that way no players would be safe to take their associated capital right away.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm

You misunderstand the concept. All territories except for Wa, capitals or castles start with non-neutral troops. Territories adjacent to capitals are coded as starting positions to ensure everyone has a fair chance to grab a capital in the start.

Having junks as starting territories would be a terrible idea, seeing as they all assault each other.

Postby Riskismy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:00 pm

You're right, I don't get it at all. How are 'starting positions' and 'non-neutral' different concepts?

Having junks as starting territories would be a terrible idea, seeing as they all assault each other.

Now you're the one misunderstanding, and intentionally so I suspect. I did say 're-arrange the junks', did I not? I'm not saying it's a good idea 'as is' - just trying to give you an alternative perspective on the problem you're having. And you're welcome. ;)
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:41 pm

How are 'starting positions' and 'non-neutral' different concepts?

You can see a combination of starting positions and regular starting territories on eg. Third Crusade map, where capitals start with 6 each, each player getting an equal amount of capitals, and other territories starting normally with 3:s.

Postby theBastard on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

when you do red junks green and the south sea become so open, it would be huge change to the concept of junks. but it could works. but, will be then others junks as they are - so the rest of sea will be more "closed"?

about starting points. if bordering regions with capitals will be starting points there could be any disadvantages. there are few capitals with only one/two bordering regions what gives to some players hue advantage from the start.

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 am

Again, the starting points wouldn't be the only starting territories. Without these starting positions someone could still drop in those territories. With them, at least everyone gets a chance at some capital.

Yeah, only red junks will be changed. Other junks stay as they are.

What I'm really looking feedback on though, is the 1 troop for every 4 idea. I think this is the only thing that needs to be questioned at this point.

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 am

Junk situation updated.

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea v8.1

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:20 am

Ok, we have another option now, which is to get rid of the regular territory bonus alltogether. So you would get +3 no matter how many territories you hold.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby theBastard on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok, we have another option now, which is to get rid of the regular territory bonus alltogether. So you would get +3 no matter how many territories you hold.

this sounds fine to me. maybe one more ecru junk could be in lelang? also "isle" where is gingdao has just one acess - teng-chou...

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 am

theBastard wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Ok, we have another option now, which is to get rid of the regular territory bonus alltogether. So you would get +3 no matter how many territories you hold.

this sounds fine to me. maybe one more ecru junk could be in lelang? also "isle" where is gingdao has just one acess - teng-chou...

Yes, it only has one access. I don't know about adding junks, but if we're to add a yellow junk somewhere, I think Shabei should be it - Tang invaded Goguryeo by ship, landing right there on Liaodong peninsula, where Shabei was one of the first cities they took.

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm ok with the Shabei junk, use a tan one I think?

This is a grapahical quibble, but could we get a different color than green for all those junks in the Tsushima straits? It's hard on my eyes as its just blends in with baekje.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Yep for both. Hold on...

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea v9

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Here.

Click image to enlarge.

Can we get a gameplay mod here sometime soon, to iron out any flaws we may have missed?

Postby theBastard on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 am

looking good. just the river cross/bridge betwen hanju and ungjin I do not like...

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 am

Yes, that's a temporary bridge which will be replaced in graphics.

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:31 am

Did you change the color of the junks? I find them to be particularly hard to see in that corner of the map. What about using different styles of Junks as well as different colors? Four different junks, that can't be hard to pull off right? And I'll nag my comrades to give this the once over.
Cook Industrial Helix

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas