Battle For Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Gemineye on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:09 pm

holy hell, that is so much better. well done

I hate truces, and I hate people that truce. If you can't win on your own, DON'T PLAY!
Major Gemineye

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:41 pm

Addition of extra component - airfields can attack each other.

What does everyone think? Good idea. I think it is for this map - adds that extra element.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Gemineye on Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:48 pm

i like the airfields, but they are a little to "crisp" for the rest of the map. maybe dull them or blur them. just my opinion.

I hate truces, and I hate people that truce. If you can't win on your own, DON'T PLAY!
Major Gemineye

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:33 am

Gemineye wrote:i like the airfields, but they are a little to "crisp" for the rest of the map. maybe dull them or blur them. just my opinion.

Airfields widened and blur gaussian .5
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby boberz on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:51 am

too dark cantwork it out without looking very hard something i do not do
Cadet boberz

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby nagerous on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:41 am

I can't read the green text on the left very well
Captain nagerous

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Font change

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:33 pm

nagerous wrote:I can't read the green text on the left very well

Thanks nagerous....Here is a font re-work...i kinda new it would have to happen....

Boberz...is this any better?

Private cairnswk

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:01 pm

actually i love it but its complicated with the jn navy, but id play it cause its nice and hectic and i like hectic
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:15 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:actually i love it but its complicated with the jn navy, but id play it cause its nice and hectic and i like hectic

Thanks Sam_levi_11....complicated yes...and perhaps this is one continent that would be really hard to hold because it is split up....perhaps needs a higher bonus package....glad to hear however that you'd still play it.

Upon reflection, now that you have pointed this out, I have just come up with a solution that will join the entire japanese navy red together to make it easier to play this as one continent. Posting somehting shortly.
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:21 pm

What is off the east coast of nullhunnby? Is that just an island?

Map is looking nice! The black background give the map a very dark, ominous, "war" feel. A much different feel from the Cairns map, which is much more light and "summery" as someone said.

Keep up the nice work!

Cheers,

Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 pm

cool, glad to be of service
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Gozar wrote:What is off the east coast of nullhunnby? Is that just an island?

Map is looking nice! The black background give the map a very dark, ominous, "war" feel. A much different feel from the Cairns map, which is much more light and "summery" as someone said.

Keep up the nice work!

Cheers,

Gozar

Gozar, Thanks for that....that is an island off Nhullunby (pronounced nulunbi)...i agree with the black background but had to change it as it was too dark for a player....so i hope this dark green retains the "war feel"
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:44 pm

I think it does :D.

It reminds me of the kind of map that generals use to update the movements of the enemy and their own men. Very nice style.

Are Palau and Truk part of the Japanese navy? Maybe this will be more clear after you move thier boats, as you mentioned in your previous post.

Cheers
Lieutenant Gozar

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (1)

Japanese Navy joins

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:45 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:cool, glad to be of service

This is the result that joins the Japanese Navy together...what do you think?

Private cairnswk

Postby Crowley on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I like the look of this map. Good work.
Sergeant 1st Class Crowley

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Gozar on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Much better!

No connection between boats in the east?

Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Gozar wrote:I think it does :D.

It reminds me of the kind of map that generals use to update the movements of the enemy and their own men. Very nice style.

Are Palau and Truk part of the Japanese navy? Maybe this will be more clear after you move thier boats, as you mentioned in your previous post.

Cheers

Palau and Truk are islands that the Japanese launched their attacks on New Guinea, Rabaul and the Coral Sea from. In reality they are much further up latitudinally than what is shown - so I have had to have artistic license in that respect, but the effect it still the same. Perhaps I shoul,d rename this Navy simply to Imperial Japan....yes I think I'll do that!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Gozar wrote:Much better!

No connection between boats in the east?

Gozar

Gozar...you're a GEM...thanks...attending to that now in previous map.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:52 pm

:oops:
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:55 pm

Crowley wrote:I like the look of this map. Good work.

Thanks Crowley!
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Hm, well lets see:

This map has a general feel I like. A good basis to build upon to make it better and better.

One thing you might want to consider, making the names slightly darker in shade compared to the land color counterpart. I think it'd help it stand out a little more, and perhaps make them easier to read overall.

Not a big fan of the medal in the corner, it just seems a little out place. But I like the ship, it feels alright. The plane not so much.

The airstrip icon also seems a little cartoony for the map. Perhaps because it's so sharp and not faded or something?

As for the legend, the title area is a little distracting. It might be the background behind it. The flags also seem a little stiff, and just pasted on.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

2Apr V13

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, well lets see:

This map has a general feel I like. A good basis to build upon to make it better and better.

Andy...thank you for these challenges and your liking.

One thing you might want to consider, making the names slightly darker in shade compared to the land color counterpart. I think it'd help it stand out a little more, and perhaps make them easier to read overall.

I changed some brighter and some lighter where i thought warranted.

Not a big fan of the medal in the corner, it just seems a little out place. But I like the ship, it feels alright. The plane not so much.

Medal is gone but I replaced it in the background by a smaller version of the plane which i though is very appropriate for this map - it is a Betty Bomber that Japan attacked with.

The airstrip icon also seems a little cartoony for the map. Perhaps because it's so sharp and not faded or something?

This has not been sharpened or faded but skewed and I think this has given xtra appeal and blur slightly.

As for the legend, the title area is a little distracting. It might be the background behind it. The flags also seem a little stiff, and just pasted on.

Background changed but I am after a combination of slate/granite/metal almost like it is laid in stone as a memorial. Flags have been covered by what looks like perspex i.e. mounted. I think this helps.

Private cairnswk

Postby spinwizard on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:18 am

how did u put the ship/plane pic in?
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Skittles! on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:24 am

I like how you took the plane out of Australia, it just took too much room, I think..

The colours are great, it's good that you actually could use all those islands too. I thought they would of been too small.

Plus, 12 is a huge bonus! Even if they're all spread it, I still think it's too big. They are all connected too..

Why does West PNG have such a big bonus too? 7 territories, with 6 borders.. I still think 11 is too much.

Texture is good.. It just suits somehow.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Corporal Skittles!

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:28 am

spinwizard wrote:how did u put the ship/plane pic in?

Hi SpinWizard...create two layers, in my case there is two layers under the entire map. The rear layer is the dark background, the images have been erased around and placed on the rear background, and then the top layer applied over the images at certain transparency. You have to experiment with layers and transprancies to get hte colour combination correct and the ghosting. Also, if i can say be patient with it. Do something and go away and leave for a while and come back to it and view again and then get critical.
There are possibly other ways to do it, but this is the method i use.
Do you like it?
Hope this helps.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas