Conquer Club

Baltic States [3/10] V33 P34 Beta!!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V22 P22 What is next?

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 am

Version 22:

What is new:

• Fixed the map border so it is all even now
  • Fixed the impassable river color
  • Swamped around the legend to match the map more
  • Other Minor Fixes

What is left besides the small map?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States [6/19] V21 P22 What is next?

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 am

on the legend, the 3 for the 2nd last region looks out of line to the rest.

the names of states looks good but which is which? i'm guessing they are listed bottom to top but should i be guessing? is it relevant to know?

this is a cosmetic thing so decline if you like - i would prefer to see the place names more central in their regions. places like Utena, Panevezys & Siauliai are labeled to the side and could be moved left or right to look more like Vilnius, Saldus and Druskininkai. with that said i'd like to see Marijampole moved up and a little to the right, Liepaja up a little and a fraction right to get it away from the borders, and Jurbarkas moved a little right.

Version 21
ok back to the legend, going down 2, 5, 2, 5, 3 are straight, then 4, 3, 4, 2, 2 are a pixel right, with the following 3 a pixel left (aligned with top group) and the final '2' a pixel right (aligned with middle group) - or is that just my eyes :D
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby lanyards on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:37 am

greenoaks wrote:the legend use to say North/South Estonia, etc. now there is no mention of the countries anywhere on the map that are the Baltic States. i'm not suggesting a return to South West Latvia or some other such thing in the legend. but those countries should have their name somewhere. maybe on the map, maybe somehow on the legend. i don't know how, just throwing that out there for your consideration.
Again, I think you should figure out a way to do this with the names of the countries you put under the title. There are many ways to do this: stroke, glow, or mess around with darker blues or different color all together.

ManBungalow wrote:One thing while I'm here:
The grid you have on top of everything looks a little uncomfortable. Like it needs to be a darker colour (near black) and set the layer mode to overlay or something.
Something needs to be done. ;)

Bruceswar wrote:Point 2: Which regions and or numbers?
LOOOOOTS. In the Auks Tatia area for example, every single region's name is shoved in a corner.

Bruceswar wrote:And the border should be thinker and I will leave them that way. :)
I think the thicker borders looks kinda dumb in some of the detailed areas and the islands. (Klaipeda & Tallinn + islands)

Trees and mountains are pretty bad currently - need work.

The only river I found on a geographical map of the area looked like this (I stretched in over your map,) which doesn't really help your current gameplay as it splits everything in half, but are the other 2 rivers made up entirely? I feel like the map needs more impassables, but I did not see any mountain ranges you could throw in either. Maybe when you fix the trees you could find some more places for them.

Not fond of how you erased borders to make region names clear. :P
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Aleena on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 am

you still could use the river if you want the cuts everything in half - just add 2 or 3 bridges - only if you want to go that route - else trash the river...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 am

greenoaks wrote:on the legend, the 3 for the 2nd last region looks out of line to the rest.

the names of states looks good but which is which? i'm guessing they are listed bottom to top but should i be guessing? is it relevant to know?

this is a cosmetic thing so decline if you like - i would prefer to see the place names more central in their regions. places like Utena, Panevezys & Siauliai are labeled to the side and could be moved left or right to look more like Vilnius, Saldus and Druskininkai. with that said i'd like to see Marijampole moved up and a little to the right, Liepaja up a little and a fraction right to get it away from the borders, and Jurbarkas moved a little right.

Version 21
ok back to the legend, going down 2, 5, 2, 5, 3 are straight, then 4, 3, 4, 2, 2 are a pixel right, with the following 3 a pixel left (aligned with top group) and the final '2' a pixel right (aligned with middle group) - or is that just my eyes :D

Fixed the legend.

Moved names around. I will look into the title. Personally I do not think it is a big issue.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 am

Aleena wrote:you still could use the river if you want the cuts everything in half - just add 2 or 3 bridges - only if you want to go that route - else trash the river...

Not gonna use it.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 am

lanyards wrote:
greenoaks wrote:the legend use to say North/South Estonia, etc. now there is no mention of the countries anywhere on the map that are the Baltic States. i'm not suggesting a return to South West Latvia or some other such thing in the legend. but those countries should have their name somewhere. maybe on the map, maybe somehow on the legend. i don't know how, just throwing that out there for your consideration.
Again, I think you should figure out a way to do this with the names of the countries you put under the title. There are many ways to do this: stroke, glow, or mess around with darker blues or different color all together.

The grid you have on top of everything looks a little uncomfortable. Like it needs to be a darker colour (near black) and set the layer mode to overlay or something.

Bruceswar wrote:Point 2: Which regions and or numbers?
LOOOOOTS. In the Auks Tatia area for example, every single region's name is shoved in a corner.

Bruceswar wrote:And the border should be thinker and I will leave them that way. :)
I think the thicker borders looks kinda dumb in some of the detailed areas and the islands. (Klaipeda & Tallinn + islands)

Trees and mountains are pretty bad currently - need work.

The only river I found on a geographical map of the area looked like this (I stretched in over your map,) which doesn't really help your current gameplay as it splits everything in half, but are the other 2 rivers made up entirely? I feel like the map needs more impassables, but I did not see any mountain ranges you could throw in either. Maybe when you fix the trees you could find some more places for them.

Not fond of how you erased borders to make region names clear. :P

The rivers I picked are indeed semi made up, but also better for the game play rather than the one major river that is there.

At your other issues most all of them have been fixed.

Title has also been fixed to show the countries better. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States [6/26] V23 P23 What is next?

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am

Version 23:

What is new:
  • New Title to show the countries better
  • New Special Thanks font
  • Moved around a good bit of the names and numbers.
  • Other minor fixes.

What is left besides the small map?
Last edited by Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

lanyards wrote: Make Estonia first and Lituania last.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Both from North to South and alphabetically, Estonia comes first and Lithuanian last. It would make sense if their respective zones in the legend were grouped that way also.

Also, I'm wondering if there should be a blank line or some kind of divider between the groupings in the legend?
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 am

How opposed would you be to just making the legend a mini-map? I'm colorblind, and have issues making out the different bonuses. It wouldn't be a big problem for me, since BOB has the Continent Overview, but it could be prohibitive for others who might have the same problem and don't use BOB.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 am

nolefan5311 wrote:How opposed would you be to just making the legend a mini-map? I'm colorblind, and have issues making out the different bonuses. It wouldn't be a big problem for me, since BOB has the Continent Overview, but it could be prohibitive for others who might have the same problem and don't use BOB.

I tried a mini map. It was utter fail. What about the current one can you not see well?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:
lanyards wrote: Make Estonia first and Lituania last.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Both from North to South and alphabetically, Estonia comes first and Lithuanian last. It would make sense if their respective zones in the legend were grouped that way also.

Also, I'm wondering if there should be a blank line or some kind of divider between the groupings in the legend?

Fixed!

I tested the legend part out, but it looked funky.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am

Bruceswar wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:How opposed would you be to just making the legend a mini-map? I'm colorblind, and have issues making out the different bonuses. It wouldn't be a big problem for me, since BOB has the Continent Overview, but it could be prohibitive for others who might have the same problem and don't use BOB.

I tried a mini map. It was utter fail. What about the current one can you not see well?

It's just the colors are very similar.

It's not going to be a problem for me, because I always use the Continents Overview, so if it passes the colorblind tests I don't see it being too big of an issue.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

It's not going to be a problem for me, because I always use the Continents Overview, so if it passes the colorblind tests I don't see it being too big of an issue.

It passed the test when I tried it. Which version are you?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

It passed the test when I tried it. Which version are you?

I have no idea, lol.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Let me show you some test images. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby lanyards on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Bruceswar wrote:The rivers I picked are indeed semi made up, but also better for the game play rather than the one major river that is there.

I like the new title btw :) About the made-up rivers, are you sure that's okay to do? May want to check with a cartographer before on that one.

I had a feeling the color differentiation would be a problem. Surely someone who is actually colorblind would know about about this issue than whatever test there is?

lanyards wrote:

Sigs and special thanks can go in the bottom left corner inside of the border.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Type 1

Type 2

Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm

lanyards wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:The rivers I picked are indeed semi made up, but also better for the game play rather than the one major river that is there.

I like the new title btw :) About the made-up rivers, are you sure that's okay to do? May want to check with a cartographer before on that one.

I had a feeling the color differentiation would be a problem. Surely someone who is actually colorblind would know about about this issue than whatever test there is?

lanyards wrote:

Sigs and special thanks can go in the bottom left corner inside of the border.

The rivers are 100% OK. Many people looked at them during the game play part and were ok with them. In fact it was a Cart who suggested them.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 pm

the two 5's in the legend look closer to the left edge than the other numbers
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm

I don't like these new colours.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm

lanyards wrote:

GIMP has a layer mode called Multiply which is good for grid overlay type things. Does photoshop/whatever you're using (Bruce) have this?

Also, I'm looking forward to playing this map.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm

waauw wrote:I don't like these new colours.

You are looking at the color blind images.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
lanyards wrote:

GIMP has a layer mode called Multiply which is good for grid overlay type things. Does photoshop/whatever you're using (Bruce) have this?

Also, I'm looking forward to playing this map.

Photoshop does have it. .. I will test it out
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:the two 5's in the legend look closer to the left edge than the other numbers

Optical illusion. . They are all the same distance.
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas