Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:19 pm

i started working on the map but the pc crashed and i had no save. the good part is i decided todo another approach on the subject and got this result.
give me your suggestions.
and BTW it will be called Age of Merchants or something like that, not TTD.

edit// the mountains in the lower continent are impassable. i forgot to add that in the map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:52 pm

added a pirate hideout. owning it gives a negative bonus to the other players :twisted:
i'm waiting for suggestions.

edit// i still forgot to add the mountains are impassable :oops:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby Jack0827 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 pm

I liked the origanal thought. I think that now you are maby making it a bit to confusing but it could be just me
Private Jack0827

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Jack0827 wrote:I liked the origanal thought. I think that now you are maby making it a bit to confusing but it could be just me

this one is exactly like the original TTD the only thing is that instead of having a trains and airplanes we have ships and pirates :)
it's the same principle. get the resources and transport them to the market.
Major DiM

Postby Molacole on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:02 am

I'm not a big fan of the current text. I had to get real close to read it.

How would that -1 work in team games? I like the different type of bonus rewards though and I hope you stay with it. I think it will bring a lot of strategy to the game and will require a lot of team work for team games. If you could darken the pictures a bit more I think that would help too.
Sergeant 1st Class Molacole

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:44 am

Molacole wrote:I'm not a big fan of the current text. I had to get real close to read it.

How would that -1 work in team games? I like the different type of bonus rewards though and I hope you stay with it. I think it will bring a lot of strategy to the game and will require a lot of team work for team games. If you could darken the pictures a bit more I think that would help too.

The pirate cove idea won't work - it's a nice idea but impossible to code into the XML...

Having said that - once you have a finished map - give me a shout and I'll code you up some XML - or alternatively if you wanna learn I can teach you how to code it up. (You've picked up photoshop quickly - XML is a breeze in comparison)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Samus on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Molacole wrote:I'm not a big fan of the current text. I had to get real close to read it.

The pirate cove idea won't work - it's a nice idea but impossible to code into the XML...

Having said that - once you have a finished map - give me a shout and I'll code you up some XML - or alternatively if you wanna learn I can teach you how to code it up. (You've picked up photoshop quickly - XML is a breeze in comparison)

C.

Well my question is, what constitutes "holding" it? If you take it your turn, does the next player get -1? That doesn't seem fair at all.
Major Samus

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:28 pm

THIS IS GREAT. Owning different parts of each island and still getting bonus. Great. As everyone has said, this changes the gameplay alot. I like where this is heading.

One thing. Basically most everyone else already said this. It is too hard to read. Making the text and markings darker would help. maybe instead of having a pirate cove, you could have 3 or 4 "X" marks the spots. These would be places that treasure was buried. You only get bonus for owning them all (by owning them all you know where the treasure is).

I would not even have connecting lines across the water. You already stated that all harbors can attack all harbors. There are your connecting lines. The map can be made more compact or expanded now because you have no need to connect the islands.
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby GreecePwns on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

This map has a great concept, but as i stated in the other thread (with a couple more problems i found):

1. Symbols on the land could be made a little more clear, or a lot more actually
2. I agree with the text. Either make it bigger or change the font.
3. Is there a way in the XML to give negative bonuses if other players own a country?
Corporal GreecePwns

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:23 pm

thanks guys for the feedback.
1. symbols can be made clearer. it no problem.
2. text can also be changed.
3. since there can be no negative bonus, i'll do something else. owning the pirate cove and one of the X's gives you +2 bonus. there will be 4 Xs and only one pirate cove. the explanation is that you have a bunch of pirates that work for you and stash gold in a treasure chest.
4. the connections are there because just the ports don't provide enough mobility and somebody could build up a lot of forces in the 2 ports and simply own a continent. this way you can infiltrate on the coast line and conquer a mine or a cattle farm.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm

yeti_c wrote:The pirate cove idea won't work - it's a nice idea but impossible to code into the XML...

C.

thanks man. i'll give you a shout for help when i get to the xml part.
Major DiM

Postby johloh on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:27 pm

interesting idea...

id give each resource on the map its own different color...so you can easily spot the other resources of the type youre looking for.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:55 pm

johloh wrote:interesting idea...

id give each resource on the map its own different color...so you can easily spot the other resources of the type youre looking for.

if i put other colours it messes the overall aspect of an old map. :wink:

i'll toy with the shades too see what i can do.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:00 pm

here is the new version. i added some shades. the bonuses should be very clear.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:19 pm

i added region names (with larger font) and modified the borders (they were a bit edgy).
and this is pretty much all i can think of. i'm waiting for suggestions.

Last edited by DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas