Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:09 pm

maybe if the icons were slightly clearer it would be easier to follow?
also, for a trade type game, is the prate map look still the right way to go?
maybe it should look more like a modern map with coloured sea & land?
Fancy fonts are great for one-off stuff, like continent names, but a simpler font will work best for the territories, because there are so many of them all piled up next to each other........... er, IMHO!
I definitely think it might be time to take the look away from the faded parchment, anyway. It doesn't need to look like that anymore, it's just a throwback to when this was a different idea! And anyway, Mid east & Bill of Rights have the parchment look sewn up, yeah?

but I do actuallylike that font... hmmm
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:50 pm

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:i was thinking of adding army numbers (without circles) but i have no idea how to do this.
is it a special tool? or i just simply write some numbers? do thay have to be a certain size and font?

Adding numbers is done via creating your XML and then running it through the map tester and screenshotting it... (Well that was how I did it!)

C.

some time ago you offerd to help me with the xml.
i think i want to accept your offer. so if you have time please do the xml or if you don't give me some advice on where to start and do it myself.
thanks.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:56 pm

here are 2 more versions.

the same fancy font but less darker and in a shade of brown (i think this looks the best so far)

and a simpler font
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:58 pm

fluffybunnykins wrote:maybe if the icons were slightly clearer it would be easier to follow?
also, for a trade type game, is the prate map look still the right way to go?
maybe it should look more like a modern map with coloured sea & land?
Fancy fonts are great for one-off stuff, like continent names, but a simpler font will work best for the territories, because there are so many of them all piled up next to each other........... er, IMHO!
I definitely think it might be time to take the look away from the faded parchment, anyway. It doesn't need to look like that anymore, it's just a throwback to when this was a different idea! And anyway, Mid east & Bill of Rights have the parchment look sewn up, yeah?

but I do actuallylike that font... hmmm

the bill of rights map is currently suspended. not abbandoned just suspended. i have hundreds of layers that need to be organized in that map and i don't have the time and willpower to do it now.
after i finish with this one i'll move back to the bill of rights and see what happens.
Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:01 pm

first version looks great! Also, could you turn the text in the top right to ths same shade of brown, as well as the legend text?
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Bad Speler wrote:first version looks great! Also, could you turn the text in the top right to ths same shade of brown, as well as the legend text?

yes ofcourse i left that so the difference can be clear

edit// here you go. sorry for the delay but i had to eat :D

Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:32 am

DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:i was thinking of adding army numbers (without circles) but i have no idea how to do this.
is it a special tool? or i just simply write some numbers? do thay have to be a certain size and font?

Adding numbers is done via creating your XML and then running it through the map tester and screenshotting it... (Well that was how I did it!)

C.

i think i want to accept your offer. so if you have time please do the xml or if you don't give me some advice on where to start and do it myself.
thanks.

I'll knock you up some countries & co-ords to work on - we can do the continents later...

PM me your email address so I can send it to you - it won't be til later though as I'm busy at work today!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:26 am

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

thanks.

I'll knock you up some countries & co-ords to work on - we can do the continents later...

PM me your email address so I can send it to you - it won't be til later though as I'm busy at work today!

C.

thanks. you have a PM.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:51 pm

the lack of suggestions can mean only 2 things

* the map has no appeal and i should abbandon it (hopefully not)
* the map is perfect and does not need any improvement (i wish)

i think there's a lot of room for improovements so i'm waiting for feedback.
Major DiM

Postby JCRuffino on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:53 pm

I like the idea of the map, just not that keen on the look so much.
Corporal JCRuffino

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:56 pm

JCRuffino wrote:I like the idea of the map, just not that keen on the look so much.

what's the problem with the look, tell me what you don't like and maybe there's something i can do about it.
Major DiM

Postby JCRuffino on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Not sure if I can put my finger exactly on it, I think it's just that it's too busy and cluttered. I'd say try making the icons a little smaller perhaps, or taking a few of them out. Maybe mess around with a few different icon designs.

Just so I'm not completely negative, I like the new fonts.
Corporal JCRuffino

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:18 pm

here are some smaller icons

Major DiM

Postby JCRuffino on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:27 pm

I do prefer that, although you should probably get feedback from someone who isn't me if you can otherwise you'll just end up doing it how I want it, which probably won't coincide with anyone elses opinions.

Now I think where possible you should move the icons out from under the country names, mostly Puerto Ventura (it could easily sit to the top left of the text) and Huaretas (could be moved above the text).

But like I said, wait for someone else's input as well.
Corporal JCRuffino

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:32 pm

here you go:

ofcourse i'll wait for other opinions but i try to do each modification i'm asked because this way everybody can see it and give me feedback.

Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:44 pm

unfortuantly the essay in the top right hand corner puts me off also i like the style of the font but could it be slightly less elaborate to keep th appeal
Cadet boberz

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm

boberz wrote:unfortuantly the essay in the top right hand corner puts me off also i like the style of the font but could it be slightly less elaborate to keep th appeal

yes that part also bothers me but i could not find another way to make the text shorter :(

i'm open for any suggestions :shock:
Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm

how about put a background around it, have small but elaborate bullet points and write the points in note form.
Cadet boberz

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:53 pm

boberz wrote:how about put a background around it, have small but elaborate bullet points and write the points in note form.

i told you i can't think of another way of expressing the same ideas but in fewer words :(

if you know hot to say the same thing in fewer words post the text here and i'll also add a background or a frame or something.
Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:59 pm

kk rather than saying "all harbours connect to each other" say harbours connect with each other rather than "owning a resource and market in same continent gives a bonus of two" say "a resource and a market in same continent gives bonus of 2" something along these lines (not a major change) throw in a plain background with fancy bullet points becomes more readable, just a suggestion though
Cadet boberz

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

here you go:

Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:15 pm

beautiful why not put the same backgorund on the key at the bottom then that is more clear as well thanx for the quick responses and updates
Cadet boberz

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

boberz wrote:beautiful why not put the same backgorund on the key at the bottom then that is more clear as well thanx for the quick responses and updates

here is the new one. and thanks for the feedback. i think the resource icons in the legend are very clear now.

Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:29 pm

bbbbrrrriiiillliiiiaaaannntttt i love u

maybe that is too far but i think its great
Cadet boberz

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 pm

i'll be upt for 1 or 2 more hours then i'll go to bed. post anything else you want modified.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas