SteamWorks

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V8 - pg.1&6 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:35 am

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, I can understand DiM's viewpoint on why he has Oxford the way it is. At the same time I can understand OliverFA's concerns about it being WAY too powerful. I see it as if you have a good number of men on the steam and engines and you take Oxford, you probably won't need to bombard any of your opponents (sunny setting). Now could we have a compromise? Have Oxford only bombard the balloons and ports, or have them bombard the engines, balloons, and ports? In this way Oxford is still strong but not overpowering. Just my couple of pennies for my thoughts.


what if you make oxford bombard engines and balloons, while balloons can attack oxford, docks and other balloons, and docks can just attack oxford and each other?

after all, balloons can fly. (or maybe make balloons only able to bombard docks and not assault them)

if oxford can bombard balloons will somewhat balance the fact that balloons can bombard docks then.

however i'm not sure how it will make sense that oxford can bombard them, but maybe Dr. Dim has some kind of weird anti-flyingmachine prototypes at his lab, who knows.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Captain zimmah
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:54 am

DiM wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:The steam icon should be more in line with the other icons, perhaps stylized like Image


actually i like it like it is now because it fits nicely with the steam in the right side of the map. however if others feel the same way i guess i could change it.




i agree with andy on this one, look at the balloon, look at the dock, look at the engine. now look at the steam. it looks completely different. i think it would look better if it's a black icon like the other 3 symbols.

no offense to your judgement or anything, i just think it looks a bit out of place.

something like this: (in black)
Click image to enlarge.
image

or this
Click image to enlarge.
image
would seem appropiate.

just try to play around with it a little, and see if you can come up with something that matches more with the other symbols.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Captain zimmah
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 am

As an Englander, I have no idea why the "age of steam" or "steamworks" correlates to a divided map of England?
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7071
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V5 - pg.1&4 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 am

zimmah wrote:to be honest tho, i think the names are fine like they are now. (i mean on the latest verion not on the one i quoted).


on the version you quoted the names were on top of continents that's why i didn't like them but on the latest version i think they fit perfectly.

zimmah wrote:also, could you clarify how the bonus system works at this point? it understand the continents and the 1 for every steam+engine but i'm not sure if i understand the too much steam damages you engine part.

Let's say i have 2 steam and 1 engine, since i have the bonus for +1 steam and +1 engine, i'd expect +1 bonnus, but since i have more steam then engines i'd get a negative bonus, is this bonus going to make me get +0 or -1?


here are all the combinations:

6S + 6E = +6
5S + 6E = +5
4S + 6E = +4
3S + 6E = +3
2S + 6E = +2
1S + 6E = +1

6S + 5E = -1
5S + 5E = +5
4S + 5E = +4
3S + 5E = +3
2S + 5E = +2
1S + 5E = +1

6S + 4E = -2
5S + 4E = -1
4S + 4E = +4
3S + 4E = +3
2S + 4E = +2
1S + 4E = +1

6S + 3E = -3
5S + 3E = -2
4S + 3E = -1
3S + 3E = +3
2S + 3E = +2
1S + 3E = +1

6S + 2E = -4
5S + 2E = -3
4S + 2E = -2
3S + 2E = -1
2S + 2E = +2
1S + 2E = +1

6S + 1E = -5
5S + 1E = -4
4S + 1E = -3
3S + 1E = -2
2S + 1E = -1
1S + 1E = +1

zimmah wrote:P.S. try doing the poem in darkblue (or maybe dark violet), you know like the dark blue inks. i'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, but it's probably worth a shot.


will give it a shot to see how it looks

zimmah wrote:P.P.S. i'd make the name Oxford slighty bigger then the text 'Isle of Dr. Dim'


will do

zimmah wrote:(yes. i'm nitpicking but since you're also a perfectionist i guess you don't mind.)


of course i don't mind.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10400
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V8 - pg.1&6 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 am

zimmah wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Okay, I can understand DiM's viewpoint on why he has Oxford the way it is. At the same time I can understand OliverFA's concerns about it being WAY too powerful. I see it as if you have a good number of men on the steam and engines and you take Oxford, you probably won't need to bombard any of your opponents (sunny setting). Now could we have a compromise? Have Oxford only bombard the balloons and ports, or have them bombard the engines, balloons, and ports? In this way Oxford is still strong but not overpowering. Just my couple of pennies for my thoughts.


what if you make oxford bombard engines and balloons, while balloons can attack oxford, docks and other balloons, and docks can just attack oxford and each other?

after all, balloons can fly. (or maybe make balloons only able to bombard docks and not assault them)

if oxford can bombard balloons will somewhat balance the fact that balloons can bombard docks then.

however i'm not sure how it will make sense that oxford can bombard them, but maybe Dr. Dim has some kind of weird anti-flyingmachine prototypes at his lab, who knows.


to be honest it would overcomplicate the map if balloons could attack other balloons and also docks but docks could not attack back.
i honestly like the current version with balloons attacking other balloons and oxford and with ports attacking other ports and oxford. it's very clear for anybody to comprehend, while still giving plenty of movement options around the map.
and oxford bombarding just the engines is also logical as well as fitting the gameplay since it can cripple an enemy's bonus but not destroy him completely an leave him with no chance to come back.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10400
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am

zimmah wrote:
DiM wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:The steam icon should be more in line with the other icons, perhaps stylized like Image


actually i like it like it is now because it fits nicely with the steam in the right side of the map. however if others feel the same way i guess i could change it.




i agree with andy on this one, look at the balloon, look at the dock, look at the engine. now look at the steam. it looks completely different. i think it would look better if it's a black icon like the other 3 symbols.

no offense to your judgement or anything, i just think it looks a bit out of place.

something like this: (in black)
Click image to enlarge.
image

or this
Click image to enlarge.
image
would seem appropiate.

just try to play around with it a little, and see if you can come up with something that matches more with the other symbols.


will try and make an icon. not sure if i'll use something that stylized though. i mean all the other icons appear to be drawn on the map but still preserve a lot of detail. i'll try doing the same with the steam.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10400
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 am

MrBenn wrote:As an Englander, I have no idea why the "age of steam" or "steamworks" correlates to a divided map of England?


steampunk is often associated with a 19th century victorian england with industrialization overusing steam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10400
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 pm

DiM wrote:
MrBenn wrote:As an Englander, I have no idea why the "age of steam" or "steamworks" correlates to a divided map of England?


steampunk is often associated with a 19th century victorian england with industrialization overusing steam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Yeah yeah... but how does that connect to chopping England into little bits (using modern 21st century boundaries)? Where are the crazy steam inventions?

To be honest I'd much rather you revived the old Age of Dungeons / Quest map you started a couple of years ago...
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7071
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:06 pm

MrBenn wrote:
DiM wrote:
MrBenn wrote:As an Englander, I have no idea why the "age of steam" or "steamworks" correlates to a divided map of England?


steampunk is often associated with a 19th century victorian england with industrialization overusing steam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Yeah yeah... but how does that connect to chopping England into little bits (using modern 21st century boundaries)? Where are the crazy steam inventions?

To be honest I'd much rather you revived the old Age of Dungeons / Quest map you started a couple of years ago...


You're probablt the only one who doesn't lke the idea of this map, it's ok tho, not everyone has the same taste. i like it, like most of dim's maps, and most of the maps that were created 2~4 years ago.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Captain zimmah
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:23 pm

MrBenn wrote:Where are the crazy steam inventions?


Well arguably, a device that chops up england into pieces using steam engines is a crazy steam invention, by definition...
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13258
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:27 pm

natty_dread wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Where are the crazy steam inventions?


Well arguably, a device that chops up england into pieces using steam engines is a crazy steam invention, by definition...


i thought that was called justice?
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Captain zimmah
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Meh, semantics.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13258
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V5 - pg.1&4 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:And why did you choose areas of England for the territory names? It seems awkward.

I'm not the only one... nobody else has really said anything overtly positive about having chosen England as the basis for the map. I personally think it';s a bit random, and that the map would benefit from being set in some fictional steam-utopia.
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7071
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V9 - pg.1&7 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm

i believe that steampunk is in close relationship with england hence the choice of map. as for the borders being modern ones, to be honest i have no idea when exactly these borders were created as i'm not a big english history/geography buff. but i wanted them to be like this because:
1. those that actually live in england could easily make a mental connection when watching the map and they can better immerse in a fantasy world
2. it's fantasy so i can basically take 21st century england tear it in pieces and make it a steampunk setting where i play the role of an Evil Doctor that plans to destroy the whole country. if it would have fitted the theme i could have created armies of pink unicorns fighting mechanized sharks. afterall it's FANTASY.

as for age of dungeons, that map is dead for 2 reasons:
1. the xml is more or less in the same stage as it was 3 years ago so some ideas i had for that map are still impossible
2. i no longer have the psd file (but this could be started from scratch in case the xml is improved)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10400
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: [IDEA] SteamWorks - V5 - pg.1&4 - The Island of Dr.DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:23 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:And why did you choose areas of England for the territory names? It seems awkward.

I'm not the only one... nobody else has really said anything overtly positive about having chosen England as the basis for the map. I personally think it';s a bit random, and that the map would benefit from being set in some fictional steam-utopia.


I don't think I'm in favor of a fictional land, but for a few visits to this topic, I really had no idea England was part of the map's theme. The names wrung a bell, but I really didn't put it together because it was broken up and there was nothing England about it at all.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25067
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login