Conquer Club

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V2 p1

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:28 am

lol, i thnk R&C inspired you to do this one?

nice one.

P.S. could you use a brighter color for attack lines. i feel the red on black is a little hard to see sometimes. might be me, but i'd probably prefer something more standing out.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:36 am

DiM wrote:
1. hold the whole tech 3 for any race - this should be possible
2. take all alien labs if you started as a human base or all human silos if you started as an alien
3. hold all nukes if you started as a human or hold all labs if you started as an alien

3 is possible, but only if it's impossable to take each others base (with taking mean assaulting and conquering)
because there is currently no way to make winning conditions or continents that accept starting positions as a component.

however if there is no way to 'acquire' another base there is a way to work around that issue by using normal continents for this purpose. and using bombardments, it's still possible to eliminate someone's base.

say for example someone would start as an alien, but takes a human base, he now holds both bases, there's no way to 'tell' the xml if a player started as human or as alien, so that would make 2 impossible. 3 however is possible, as someone with an alien base would then not be able to ever acquire a human base, so any player holding an alien base must have had started with one, or he'd never be able to have one, so if he holds an alien base and all labs, he has the #3 victory condition.

Victor Sullivan wrote:EDIT: Can I do the XML for this one if zimmah hasn't already called dibs? 8-[

nope, i only saw this tread just now, so you're first to call. i liked to work with DiM on steamworks, so i'd like to do the XML for him on other maps as well, but i'll let DiM decide if he likes you or me to write the XML.

i also have some more maps in mind i'd like to make, but i need artists, can't find anyone to help me tho :(
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 am

Cool map, very nice graphics.

I'm not too fond of the name though. AYBABTU is an old joke by now, it's been overused ad nauseum... It's not really funny anymore. I'm sure you can come up with a better name for the map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 am

i added neutrals on the map.
the gameplay is basically like this. each player gets a base and a few non important terits.
from there each player can either expand on earth or focus on technologies. but watch out. tech slots are limited not all people will have theirs and fighting will occur. tech lvl 1 not only gives a bonus but it also allows bombardment of non important terits from the second row (1.4-1.5-.16)
to get to texh level 2 you need either an alien dna lab or a human nuke silo. this time you battle more neutrals but also get a heftier bonus and the chance to bombard the opponents' dna/nukes from the second row (2.4-2.5-2.6)
and once you have mastered the tech lvl 2 by conquering its second row you can access the first row of tech lvl 3. from there you can either attack enemy bases or you can go for the second row and master the tech to win the game.
now i'd like to add 2 more winning conditions:
1. hold a human base and all alien dna labs
2. hold an alien base and all human nuke silos
would this be too easy to do? on one hand they might seem easier to take than those 6 terits from tech lvl 3. but then again all those nukes/labs are very exposed to attacks from the land as well as bombardments from the tech tree, while the tech lvl 3 is not that hard to defend. thoughts?

V3.
added neutrals
finalized the legend and included all attack rules and all bonuses.
Click image to enlarge.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:52 am

zimmah wrote:lol, i thnk R&C inspired you to do this one?

partially

zimmah wrote:P.S. could you use a brighter color for attack lines. i feel the red on black is a little hard to see sometimes. might be me, but i'd probably prefer something more standing out.

as soon as i finish the gameplay area and decide on the final number of terits and their position i will make sure i have perfectly visible connections.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:56 am

natty_dread wrote:Cool map, very nice graphics.

I'm not too fond of the name though. AYBABTU is an old joke by now, it's been overused ad nauseum... It's not really funny anymore. I'm sure you can come up with a better name for the map.

i resent that. i actually played that game back in the early nineties. if that's an old joke than that means i'm also old... and i'm not :cry:
with all the human bases and alien bases on the map it was only natural to think of that name. :lol:
i'm not saying that i will change it or not but i am open for suggestions. if more people think aybabtu is a bad name and i get a good suggestion i'll probably do it.
Major DiM

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:03 am

well if no one else is gonna say it...

What you say?!

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 am

The Bison King wrote:well if no one else is gonna say it...

What you say?!

Someone set up us the bomb :lol:
Major DiM

Postby mr. CD on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am

Looking terribly well, I love it.
Keep up the good work, DiM.
I find the HT to AT part of the legend in the middle (bottom) rather hard to read though.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:47 am

Well I have a few suggestions... not sure how good they are.

"Alien War"
"Invaders of Space"
"Space Invasion"

You could still use AYBABTU as a subtitle, if you want... to give the map some flavour.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am

mr. CD wrote:Looking terribly well, I love it.
Keep up the good work, DiM.

thanks

mr. CD wrote:I find the HT to AT part of the legend in the middle (bottom) rather hard to read though.

perhaps it would look better if i spread it a bit more like this:
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

This almost reminds me of the overview world map of the old game X-Com: UFO Defense.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby mr. CD on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 am

DiM wrote:
mr. CD wrote:I find the HT to AT part of the legend in the middle (bottom) rather hard to read though.

perhaps it would look better if i spread it a bit more like this:

Yeap, that's better to read. :)
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am

what happen?
we get signal.

name should stay as it is.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

AndyDufresne wrote:This almost reminds me of the overview world map of the old game X-Com: UFO Defense.

--Andy

so basically you just admited you're an old monkey :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

mr. CD wrote:Yeap, that's better to read. :)

perfect. it will be like that in the next version.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

zimmah wrote:name should stay as it is.

i think i'll have to change it or at least shorten it to AYBABTU because last i remember there was a character limit for a map's name. perhaps a CA could shed more light on this...
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 pm

DiM wrote:
zimmah wrote:name should stay as it is.

i think i'll have to change it or at least shorten it to AYBABTU because last i remember there was a character limit for a map's name. perhaps a CA could shed more light on this...

you can shortern the official name to either AYBABTU or ALL YOUR BASE. but keep the map title on the map itself.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&2

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 pm

i received some complains in chat that the text is too bright and it makes reading difficult so here's a toned down version.

V4:
improved text readability
better spaced legend

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm

What about holding TL1.1 - 1.3 be a +2 also?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:22 pm

i was bored so i did a whole bunch of little graphical changes (the flames light the surroundings, the top display frames have been changed a bit, changed the texture of the main display, etc) and i animated the map because i wanted to change my sig :)

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm thinking that perhaps each tech tree should have 4 columns, so each silo and lab has a column, and, more importantly, so each player has a column.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm

The title is a nice effect DiM, but after 5 seconds it becomes quite annoying flickering on and off like that...very distracting even to see what changes have been made.
sorry to be a poop :(
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:01 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:I'm thinking that perhaps each tech tree should have 4 columns, so each silo and lab has a column, and, more importantly, so each player has a column.

-Sully

i specifically wanted it like this so that fighting occurs.
i actually wanted at some point to have 3 columns in lvl 1, 2 in lvl 2 and 1 in lvl 3. like an upside down pyramid to force more and more fighting but that would have reduced the number of terits by quite a lot.
also having more columns means going even larger. right now the large is at 900*800 and the small at 800*711. if i add more columns i'd probably have to go to 1000*800 for the large

if more people want more columns i can easily do it as long as the mods give me the ok for the even bigger size.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 am

cairnswk wrote:The title is a nice effect DiM, but after 5 seconds it becomes quite annoying flickering on and off like that...very distracting even to see what changes have been made.
sorry to be a poop :(

lol cairns, it's not staying, as i said i was bored. that's why it's not even marked as an updated. i just didn't have anything to do and animated it. it definitely won't stay.
Major DiM

Next

Return to The Atlas