Page 2 of 22

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am
by DiM
mr. CD wrote:Looking terribly well, I love it.
Keep up the good work, DiM.


thanks

mr. CD wrote:I find the HT to AT part of the legend in the middle (bottom) rather hard to read though.


perhaps it would look better if i spread it a bit more like this:
Image

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am
by AndyDufresne
This almost reminds me of the overview world map of the old game X-Com: UFO Defense.


--Andy

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 am
by mr. CD
DiM wrote:
mr. CD wrote:I find the HT to AT part of the legend in the middle (bottom) rather hard to read though.


perhaps it would look better if i spread it a bit more like this:
Image


Yeap, that's better to read. :)

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am
by zimmah
what happen?
we get signal.

name should stay as it is.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am
by DiM
AndyDufresne wrote:This almost reminds me of the overview world map of the old game X-Com: UFO Defense.


--Andy


so basically you just admited you're an old monkey :lol:

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am
by DiM
mr. CD wrote:Yeap, that's better to read. :)


perfect. it will be like that in the next version.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am
by DiM
zimmah wrote:name should stay as it is.


i think i'll have to change it or at least shorten it to AYBABTU because last i remember there was a character limit for a map's name. perhaps a CA could shed more light on this...

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 pm
by zimmah
DiM wrote:
zimmah wrote:name should stay as it is.


i think i'll have to change it or at least shorten it to AYBABTU because last i remember there was a character limit for a map's name. perhaps a CA could shed more light on this...


you can shortern the official name to either AYBABTU or ALL YOUR BASE. but keep the map title on the map itself.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V3 p1&2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 pm
by DiM
i received some complains in chat that the text is too bright and it makes reading difficult so here's a toned down version.

V4:
improved text readability
better spaced legend

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm
by Nola_Lifer
What about holding TL1.1 - 1.3 be a +2 also?

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:22 pm
by DiM
i was bored so i did a whole bunch of little graphical changes (the flames light the surroundings, the top display frames have been changed a bit, changed the texture of the main display, etc) and i animated the map because i wanted to change my sig :)

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm
by Victor Sullivan
I'm thinking that perhaps each tech tree should have 4 columns, so each silo and lab has a column, and, more importantly, so each player has a column.

-Sully

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm
by cairnswk
The title is a nice effect DiM, but after 5 seconds it becomes quite annoying flickering on and off like that...very distracting even to see what changes have been made.
sorry to be a poop :(

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:01 am
by DiM
Victor Sullivan wrote:I'm thinking that perhaps each tech tree should have 4 columns, so each silo and lab has a column, and, more importantly, so each player has a column.

-Sully


i specifically wanted it like this so that fighting occurs.
i actually wanted at some point to have 3 columns in lvl 1, 2 in lvl 2 and 1 in lvl 3. like an upside down pyramid to force more and more fighting but that would have reduced the number of terits by quite a lot.
also having more columns means going even larger. right now the large is at 900*800 and the small at 800*711. if i add more columns i'd probably have to go to 1000*800 for the large

if more people want more columns i can easily do it as long as the mods give me the ok for the even bigger size.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 am
by DiM
cairnswk wrote:The title is a nice effect DiM, but after 5 seconds it becomes quite annoying flickering on and off like that...very distracting even to see what changes have been made.
sorry to be a poop :(



lol cairns, it's not staying, as i said i was bored. that's why it's not even marked as an updated. i just didn't have anything to do and animated it. it definitely won't stay.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:26 pm
by DiM
i would like to apply for a supersize but before i do that i need to decide weather i should have 3 or 4 columns of tech for alien/human.
so any thoughts?

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [11.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 pm
by DiM
V5:
added a 4th column to each tech tree
increased font size in some places
rearranged the bottom legend to better fit the explanations
changed the text to reflect the addition of a 4th tech column
the flames light the surroundings
the world display has a new texture
moved the flames towards the sides a bit to make room for a bigger central legend
added some graphic touches to the top legend boxes as well as the bottom one (some cuts in the frame and some wires)
placed some rivets
added sully's name on the map
there might be other stuff that i changed and forgot to mention.

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 am
by Nola_Lifer
I liked the brighter green on those numbers and Research, Fight, Survive. Also, the Alien Base symbol on the map blends in too much on the background. :)

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:10 am
by Victor Sullivan
You have a lot of text on there. Try to shorten things, or include visual aids instead. One thing I thought of that you could do is define a "tech pair" as a certain 'box', then box each pair of tech territories, then say "Any one LVL 1 tech pair: +2" and "Any one LVL 2 tech pair: +3". Also, I think it would be more helpful if you put the relevant information to each tech level right by each tech level. It would be a lot easier to follow.

-Sully

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:31 am
by mr. CD
Is there a bonus for amount of regions on this map?
When playing 1v1 or 1v1v1, would everyone get both an alien and a human base? Since if both players in 1v1 have the same base(s) it'd get a bit silly and in 1v1v1 if one player has a human base and two players an alien base, the player with the human base would most likely win. So I'd say yes, make it 1 each.
Might still make it a bit tricky with 5 players though.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:37 am
by Victor Sullivan
mr. CD wrote:Is there a bonus for amount of regions on this map?
When playing 1v1 or 1v1v1, would everyone get both an alien and a human base? Since if both players in 1v1 have the same base(s) it'd get a bit silly and in 1v1v1 if one player has a human base and two players an alien base, the player with the human base would most likely win. So I'd say yes, make it 1 each.
Might still make it a bit tricky with 5 players though.

I'm not so sure one can code it such that each person starts out specifically with one human and one alien base, but I can code it such that each person gets two bases maximum.

I figure for the regions that I would nix the standard region bonus and code a continent equivalent to the region bonus for all of the non-tech regions, though I'm not sure how DiM feels about this.

-Sully

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:10 am
by DiM
Nola_Lifer wrote:I liked the brighter green on those numbers and Research, Fight, Survive.


it felt too bright to me and too distracting from the actual map.

Nola_Lifer wrote:Also, the Alien Base symbol on the map blends in too much on the background. :)


i'll tweak the background to make it better.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 am
by DiM
Victor Sullivan wrote:You have a lot of text on there. Try to shorten things, or include visual aids instead. One thing I thought of that you could do is define a "tech pair" as a certain 'box', then box each pair of tech territories, then say "Any one LVL 1 tech pair: +2" and "Any one LVL 2 tech pair: +3". Also, I think it would be more helpful if you put the relevant information to each tech level right by each tech level. It would be a lot easier to follow.

-Sully



that is actually a good idea and if it works it could save some space. however i'm not sure how i could go around making those "boxes" without cluttering the tech tree like hell. tonight while i'm at work i'll try to come up with a solution.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 am
by DiM
mr. CD wrote:Is there a bonus for amount of regions on this map?


i'm not planning on any bonus at all for the amount of regions. it will be zero regardless of how many you have.

Victor Sullivan wrote:
mr. CD wrote:When playing 1v1 or 1v1v1, would everyone get both an alien and a human base? Since if both players in 1v1 have the same base(s) it'd get a bit silly and in 1v1v1 if one player has a human base and two players an alien base, the player with the human base would most likely win. So I'd say yes, make it 1 each.
Might still make it a bit tricky with 5 players though.

I'm not so sure one can code it such that each person starts out specifically with one human and one alien base, but I can code it such that each person gets two bases maximum.

I figure for the regions that I would nix the standard region bonus and code a continent equivalent to the region bonus for all of the non-tech regions, though I'm not sure how DiM feels about this.

-Sully


i don't see it as a big problem if 1 player starts as human and 2 others start as alien simply because the tech trees connect to eachother via the nukes and dna labs.
so even if i start with an alien base i can go for a nuke silo (+1) and from there go to the human tech lvl 2.
yes, indeed the human will be the only one to access human tech lvl 1 so you might regard that as an advantage. however it could also be a disadvantage because if he focuses just on that then he battles neutrals and stretches himself thin allowing the other players to get the bonuses on the map. i think the map is very open when it comes to connections and it has lots of bonus options to avoid giving any player a clear advantage.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V4 p1&3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 am
by Coleman
DiM wrote:the world display has a new texture


I really really don't like the new texture. It made everything a lot harder to read for me. You may need to brighten the text to compensate or just go back to the v1 texture/brightness which I liked much more.

Victor Sullivan wrote:I'm not so sure one can code it such that each person starts out specifically with one human and one alien base, but I can code it such that each person gets two bases maximum.


You could but they would always have the same human and alien base combo which takes away from the intrigue/randomness of the map. Which, IMO, would suck.