Conquer Club

Kingdom of Denmark [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Denmark v9 [28 Aug 2011] pg1

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Okay first things first. When you post an update, you need to put it in your current post as well as the first post. This way we don't have to click on the first page to see the new update and then come back here to the last page and post our comments.

Secondly, what happened to the color in Nord Jylland? it looks as if someone spilled some water on it. On the mini-map you will need to place the bonus names on it as well. I think you need to place another bridge between Thisted/Holstebro. I know there isn't a bride there, but for gameplay reasons I believe there should be one there.

I understand the significance of Bornholm, But I think you can remove it and just have that attack route go directly from Kobenhavn to Mon. In this way you can crop the map down some more width wise, because you have too much empty space in the top right.

I would suggest reorganizing the legend area a bit by placing everything going down the page. Something like this:
Click image to enlarge.

As you see there isn't a lot of wasted space, as it is used effectively.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Denmark v9 [28 Aug 2011] pg1

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 am

isaiah40 wrote:Okay first things first. When you post an update, you need to put it in your current post as well as the first post. This way we don't have to click on the first page to see the new update and then come back here to the last page and post our comments.

Secondly, what happened to the color in Nord Jylland? it looks as if someone spilled some water on it. On the mini-map you will need to place the bonus names on it as well. I think you need to place another bridge between Thisted/Holstebro. I know there isn't a bride there, but for gameplay reasons I believe there should be one there.

I understand the significance of Bornholm, But I think you can remove it and just have that attack route go directly from Kobenhavn to Mon. In this way you can crop the map down some more width wise, because you have too much empty space in the top right.

I would suggest reorganizing the legend area a bit by placing everything going down the page. Something like this:
Click image to enlarge.

As you see there isn't a lot of wasted space, as it is used effectively.

There will certainly be a part natives would hang me for cutting off their island, :? but we understand nothing of their language which is closer to Sweden (sure a couple of Swedes who are offended now) It could probably work well that way.

There are actually (in the real world) a bridge between Thisted and Holstebro, I left out it to make a bonus area that was "easy" to keep and not generated so many troops, but a bridge would probably turn up a bit of difficulty degree, which is fine for me.

Colors in North Jutland and the rest of the map has just gotten a little effect to give a little landscape conjecture.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Re: Denmark v10 [29 Aug 2011] pg6

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:01 am

Latest updated map: V10 - 29/08-2011
changes: Bridge between Holstebro and Thisted. island of Bornholm is gone. The size is changed to 700x800

I do not know quite how to get the names on bonus areas in the legend, I'm not sure if it is necessary to have them, colors indicate where and what they generate.
It could be done like the San Morino map, where bonus areas names are writen in respective colors at the side.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:14 am

Yes you need the bonus names on the min-map. I think you can use the previous bonus legend for this, but that is your call. Either way is fine, just make sure you have the bonus names in the legend with their associated bonus amount.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:14 am

New update: V11 - 30/08-2011 Names on legend

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Denmark v11 [30 Aug 2011] pg6

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Why do you have 2 legends that say the same, give the same info but in different styles? If you want the mini map, then take a look at natty_dreads map in final forge for the style that works with map and names. With some many long names though, you would probably be best off with the list version.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Denmark v11 [30 Aug 2011] pg6

Postby Flapcake on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Why do you have 2 legends that say the same, give the same info but in different styles? If you want the mini map, then take a look at natty_dreads map in final forge for the style that works with map and names. With some many long names though, you would probably be best off with the list version.

yes I can see that it looks significant strange, but I like the mini map, its kind of cool, but as you also points out, the long names is exactly also what I have struggled a bit with, and i dont want to put them into the territories because there will be a lot of text on top of each other, course many of the areas are very small

Re: Denmark v12 [30 Aug 2011] pg6

Postby Flapcake on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:21 pm

New update v12 [30 Aug 2011]

New Legend

Iam goin to change the colour on Fyn or Vest jylland, they are to similar

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm

This is looking good, so I' going to go ahead and stamp this. Graphics are going to get some work, so let's get this rolling, and remember us CA's are here if you ever have any questions!

Congratulations flapcake!! =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby QoH on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I'll be the first to throw out the graphics suggestions. All the boarders look really thick and pixilated. Maybe that's just me. Also, the bridges need some work. They don't have to be as detailed as they are, because that takes away from them.I would make the circle-lines smaller, just so they don't stand out so much. And I know people have made comments about the sea texture, and I agree. I think the right sea texture will be found through trial and error.

Lookin great so far!
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:16 am

isaiah40 wrote:This is looking good, so I' going to go ahead and stamp this. Graphics are going to get some work, so let's get this rolling, and remember us CA's are here if you ever have any questions!

Congratulations flapcake!! =D> =D>

Thank you :-P

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:27 am

QoH wrote:I'll be the first to throw out the graphics suggestions. All the boarders look really thick and pixilated. Maybe that's just me. Also, the bridges need some work. They don't have to be as detailed as they are, because that takes away from them.I would make the circle-lines smaller, just so they don't stand out so much. And I know people have made comments about the sea texture, and I agree. I think the right sea texture will be found through trial and error.

Lookin great so far!

Thank you for your comment

About boundaries, I have thought about giving them a thin white line on the outside so that looks more like the country lies in the water and not on top.

The bridges, I think they are cool, but yes they may well suffer for details to the rest of the map.

I am open to suggestions about sea texture for how else it could be done.

I'm not quite on what you mean by "circle-lines" it would be nice if could you explain it further

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 am

I like the bright colors, it's a lovely reverse of the typical "cold=dark=Denmark" equation shown in a lot of other maps. Also, they're unlikely to cause color-blind issues with their large variance.

However, the bridges don't match the map's style at all. I would be more in favor of More Dots like your two long sea routes. Also, the Denmark border is TOO accurate, especially in the north. Smooth it a little, as right now it looks muddled and incorrect, even if the coastline DOES look like that.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I like the bright colors, it's a lovely reverse of the typical "cold=dark=Denmark" equation shown in a lot of other maps. Also, they're unlikely to cause color-blind issues with their large variance.

However, the bridges don't match the map's style at all. I would be more in favor of More Dots like your two long sea routes. Also, the Denmark border is TOO accurate, especially in the north. Smooth it a little, as right now it looks muddled and incorrect, even if the coastline DOES look like that.

Thanks for your comment.

map is plotted from a real map, just to get the right probation of islands between.

I like the colours to, but im not sure that fyn and vest jylland are to close together.

some of the distances are too short to make dots in between, so it will probably be needed bridges of some sort, but I am open to suggestions for alternatives.

Re: Denmark v13 [02 Sep 2011] pg6

Postby Flapcake on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 pm

New Update: I have worked on a sulotion for the background, its not easy but i realy like the kind of natural image, edges/borders have been straiten out and smooted, for atack routes and briges i have made an more natural solution with solid conections.

I really have my doubts with water background, I do it as it is on the V14, but if it does not work in terms of visuals, I will be happy for all the help I can get :D

V13
Click image to enlarge.

V14: background darkend and border added white edges for lookalike sea ​​foam
Click image to enlarge.

Re: Denmark v14 [02 Sep 2011] pg6

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 am

The white glow around the edges is a nice touch. Is there a reason why it is thicker in places than others?
Odense banner is under a territ line.
Alborg banner is under the name.
Are these banners or shields? They look more like shields to me. Why are they all the same, is there a reason for this or can you find different ones for each city.
Falster looks like it has been cropped at the bottom?

Game play.
Are you going to add any impassables apart from the water?
Is there a reason for these cities to have the banners (I do not know the region) as a lucky drop in the south can give you over half of the winning condition.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Denmark v15 [03 Sep 2011] pg7

Postby Flapcake on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 am

Thanks for your input koontz1973.

It is Denmark's national shield, I could find the various city shield and I tried them also in some earlier verisioner, I did not think it looked good, it looked very messy.
It is a shield and no banners, it is corrected in the text now.

These cities are the 5 biggest cities in Denmark, it is an alternative way to victory, it could give players more desire to attack bonuses, to try to prevent others from taking victory in that way.

Falster had been cut a little at the bottom, I have joined the ends within the frame.
Sea foam around the edges had moved a little, I was not aware of it, but now they are 100% correct.

I've added a navigation route between Korsør and Langeland, Haderslev and Faaborg, Ribe and Varde, not to isolate Syd Sjælland and Sønder Jylland.

About barriers, I do considering makeing a river between Herning and Skjern, but I think i need some Iders to the gameplay.

Denmark v15 [03 Sep 2011]
Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 am

Impassables are easyish to find, just look at a map and find ones that suit your needs. If you want a river where you said then place one in. It will be on its own layer so it is easy enough to take out.
It will affect bonuses though but that is easily changed.

Does Varde connect to Herning?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 am

koontz1973 wrote:Impassables are easyish to find, just look at a map and find ones that suit your needs. If you want a river where you said then place one in. It will be on its own layer so it is easy enough to take out.
It will affect bonuses though but that is easily changed.

Does Varde connect to Herning?

Your rigth, il take a look at it ;)

Yes,Varde are connected to Herning.

Re: Denmark v16 [03 Sep 2011] pg7

Postby Flapcake on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 am

New: v16 [03 Sep 2011]

Trees as impassable passage, Herning-Skjern, Bryrup-Billund. River as natural implanted at the map Viborg-Randers

Click image to enlarge.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:47 am

HI Flapcake
A couple of things have occured here for me to show improvement in your map but others aspects have been removed and entered the map into the boring realm of every other standard map out there in CC land (since that version on page 3)
Pros
1. the sea texture has improved
2. You're having a go at tree impassable (good), but make some of them different...at present they all look like clones of each other and are possible a fraction too large.
3. you appear to have some bonus legend sorted.
4. your land borders appear to have improved
Cons
1. That unique monarchical flavour you had when your Queen was on the legend has been lost.
2. I am disappointed to see that you've also lost all of those unique bridges you had to be replaced by boring old dotted lines. Dotted lines have there place but each mapmaker should try to retain some individuality/uniqueness of graphics that sets it aside from other maps.

I'd like to see both aspect re-instated, personally.
I'd also say that re-instating the queen in some sort of royal border system (as ytou had previously in a frame) would tie the elements of your monarchy together in the map as a whole, since you have the city shields and the coat of arms of Denmark (plus flag) represented.

Nice work so far but elements need tying together. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flapcake on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:HI Flapcake
A couple of things have occured here for me to show improvement in your map but others aspects have been removed and entered the map into the boring realm of every other standard map out there in CC land (since that version on page 3)
Pros
1. the sea texture has improved
2. You're having a go at tree impassable (good), but make some of them different...at present they all look like clones of each other and are possible a fraction too large.
3. you appear to have some bonus legend sorted.
4. your land borders appear to have improved
Cons
1. That unique monarchical flavour you had when your Queen was on the legend has been lost.
2. I am disappointed to see that you've also lost all of those unique bridges you had to be replaced by boring old dotted lines. Dotted lines have there place but each mapmaker should try to retain some individuality/uniqueness of graphics that sets it aside from other maps.

I'd like to see both aspect re-instated, personally.
I'd also say that re-instating the queen in some sort of royal border system (as ytou had previously in a frame) would tie the elements of your monarchy together in the map as a whole, since you have the city shields and the coat of arms of Denmark (plus flag) represented.

Nice work so far but elements need tying together. :)

Hi Cairnswk, Thanks for your comment.

Yes much has changed since ver. 3 and there have been many differing views on how the legend would look like, and it ended up with that there was no room for the queen, but I have thought to exploit the space that has come to the right of the legend whit some royal touch, and perhaps the queen could fit in there.
The trees need a little help, they need some refinement.

For bridges, I also liked them, but there was actually no other than you who thought they were cool.
Maybe they could find their way back, let's see ;)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Flapcake wrote:...
For bridges, I also liked them, but there was actually no other than you who thought they were cool.
Maybe they could find their way back, let's see ;)

If you like something in your map, then don't be frightened to stick up for it, and justify for its inclusion.
You don't have to please everybody 100% of the time. The objective is for the elements of the map to tie together, and that is part of the graphics challenge.
Remember this is your map :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby QoH on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Flapcake wrote:I'm not quite on what you mean by "circle-lines" it would be nice if could you explain it further

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.

I meant the dotted lines. My mistake. Don't know what I was thinking there.

But it looks awesome so far!
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 am

QoH wrote:
Flapcake wrote:I'm not quite on what you mean by "circle-lines" it would be nice if could you explain it further

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.

I meant the dotted lines. My mistake. Don't know what I was thinking there.

But it looks awesome so far!

Thanks NP :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas