Conquer Club

Knights

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: KNIGHTS [07/01] Page 1 & 13 Graphics look over please :)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

territs to regions.

show: small map with 888
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: KNIGHTS [08/01] Page 1 & 14 Graphics look over please :)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:13 am

Regions to squares. Might not be in the game log but it is a better word for the map. Also ties it to the bonus part of the legend.

Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:16 am

Small Map:

- I'd suggest improving the quality of the knight picture, the knight piece picture in the movement example, and the explanation/bonuses text. All are blurred or fuzzy in some way.

- The E looks like an F, since the knights helmet overlaps under it.

Both Maps:

- The coat of arms above England is rather pixelated. This, in my opinion, detracts from the overall graphics.

- The knight playing piece in the movement example is somewhat harder to see. Could this be made to stand out a bit more? Maybe a slight drop shadow of some sort? Inner shadow? Something to set it off from the similar colored background.

Just what I see at a quick glance at 1 am.
Corporal bryguy

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 am

bryguy wrote:Small Map:

- I'd suggest improving the quality of the knight picture, the knight piece picture in the movement example, and the explanation/bonuses text. All are blurred or fuzzy in some way.

The piece will look at and make sharper/stand out more. The text is not blurred but will look at a different font.
- The E looks like an F, since the knights helmet overlaps under it.

No, the E looks like an E. :?
Both Maps:

- The coat of arms above England is rather pixelated. This, in my opinion, detracts from the overall graphics.

It is not pixelated. I know what you are talking about - the black and white part of the shield is made of squares.
- The knight playing piece in the movement example is somewhat harder to see. Could this be made to stand out a bit more? Maybe a slight drop shadow of some sort? Inner shadow? Something to set it off from the similar colored background.

Will get it to stand out some.
Just what I see at a quick glance at 1 am.

Thanks for popping in at 1am.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 am

Small map.
Sorted glow on text so less crappy looking.
Removed the knights piece (never really liked it as it was to small) and replaced with a 2D version.
New arrows.
Large map.
Same as small map.
Large.
Small.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I must say that this knight piece is a large improvement over the previous. I must apologize though, in my fatigue I forgot that I had zoomed out on my internet window earlier on and hadn't zoomed back in. There are, in actuality, no issues with the text.

Although still fatigued, I can see nothing significant that needs changing
Corporal bryguy

Re: Knights [08/01] Page 1 & 14 Graphics look over please :)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 am

Another 1am visit. ;)

Glad you like it . Lets hope the mods look soonish O:)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Sorry for the delay koontz,

Don't know if you heard but the weather disconnected me for a few days.

Anyway...there seems to be two distinct aspects of this map that I like...the problem is I don't feel the two go together. Firstly the actual chess board and the title I like. They are simplistic and easy on the eyes. Then there is your detail/texture background outline and coat of arms that have the potential to be something interesting. The problem is...the simplistic foreground and detailed heavy background don't fit together. They clash aesthetically.

I suggest you scrap everything that isn't simplistic and easy going. Try and fit the map around your beautiful chess board. I know this may not be what you want to hear at this point (especially since it has been a while since I last visited). But at the moment I simply don't feel this is up to standard yet.

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 pm

gimil wrote:Sorry for the delay koontz,

Don't know if you heard but the weather disconnected me for a few days.

Anyway...there seems to be two distinct aspects of this map that I like...the problem is I don't feel the two go together. Firstly the actual chess board and the title I like. They are simplistic and easy on the eyes. Then there is your detail/texture background outline and coat of arms that have the potential to be something interesting. The problem is...the simplistic foreground and detailed heavy background don't fit together. They clash aesthetically.

I suggest you scrap everything that isn't simplistic and easy going. Try and fit the map around your beautiful chess board. I know this may not be what you want to hear at this point (especially since it has been a while since I last visited). But at the moment I simply don't feel this is up to standard yet.

Cheers,
gimil

Are your referring to the marching ants around the outside (which could go easily) or the whole grey bit altogether (which I like and think does go with the theme)?
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh, forgot to add, on this screen the text on your name "koontz1973" in your banner is hard to read, it is readable but only because I know what it is supposed to say - the letters are thin and fade out, particularly the "k", "t" and "3".

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:04 pm

i don't know what to make of the graphics. on one hand i love some elements and on the other i really loathe some.

you have some very different styles going on here and that doesn't quite go well.

i really like the whole courtyard surrounded by walls with the little knights on top. that's very neat. keep that and refine it. the grass needs to be lower than the walls. right now they look on the same level, so add volume to the walls.
once you do that make the chessboard like it's rock. dark granite and light granite. it will fit better with the rock in the walls and it will make sense in the context of that whole area being a castle yard. like it's all a huge chessboard made of stones laid down in a castle court.
get this right and it will look amazing.

now to the part i don't like. the knight looks like it was hand drawn by somebody with very little talent. the lines are wobbly, the proportions are skewed and it looks more like a 2 minute doodle than something serious. compare it to the 2 crests that have very little details and you'll see what i mean. the knight isn't even aligned with the miniboard under him.
the crests, while nice on their own don't really fit with the other elements that you have.

so what i'd do is make the chessboard like stones. for maximum effect draw each stone by hand and don't worry about perfection. it will look like they're worn and old with bits of grass cracking between them. make a more realistic looking grass background. and you're set.
take out the knight and crests at the bottom and put a simple legend encased in a simple curly frame like i have on clash of kings and you're set.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:33 am

So gimil says to go the more simplistic look as he likes the title and DiM says to go the other way. Let me have a look at it, but right now I need to get Rorke's Drift sorted this weekend. As soon as I get that sorted, I will take another look at this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:11 pm

koontz1973 wrote:So gimil says to go the more simplistic look as he likes the title and DiM says to go the other way. Let me have a look at it, but right now I need to get Rorke's Drift sorted this weekend. As soon as I get that sorted, I will take another look at this.

Actually I am interested by what DiM has suggested. I think a stone chess board would work.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm

gimil wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:So gimil says to go the more simplistic look as he likes the title and DiM says to go the other way. Let me have a look at it, but right now I need to get Rorke's Drift sorted this weekend. As soon as I get that sorted, I will take another look at this.

Actually I am interested by what DiM has suggested. I think a stone chess board would work.

I like both ideas so am planning on getting a mock up for both ways done next week. I will then let the community decide. If for some reason inspiration fails me, I can ask for some suggestions. But with the current map, a stone chess board would work really well. Sort of like flag stones. then remove the large knight or replace him with something more aggressive or realistic.

Glad you are back gimil. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 am

A stone playing board.
Hows this looking? because I am starting to like this idea from DiM.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Knights [08/01] Page 1 & 14 Stone board and title:) [15]

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 am

Could you put the legend on the top or the side? This will make scrolling less necessary.

Maybe a clock can be integrated in the legend?

Major sannemanrobinson

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:Could you put the legend on the top or the side? This will make scrolling less necessary.

Maybe a clock can be integrated in the legend?

Will see about the legend going onto the side.
As for the clock, with the old style map that I started with, it may of worked, but not with the current theme. Will see about a sun dial though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 am

The text is a bit distracting...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 am

natty_dread wrote:The text is a bit distracting...

Not to worry, removed it. If I make this any smaller, the large map will be the normal size of a small map. At least the scrolling will be reduced. ;)
Now this I love.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:18 pm

looking good!

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:38 pm

And here is the small. Thanks hippo, glad to see you back form you looooooooooooooooooooooooooong holiday.
Large(ish)
Click image to enlarge.

Small(ish)
Click image to enlarge.

With the 888's on the small only to see if they show and fit.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Knights [14/01] Page 1 & 15 Graphics look over.

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:59 pm

"Two forward and one to the side" could be confusing for some people (yes there are airheads in this world). Maybe "two straight then one to the left or right" might be better? I can just picture some moron thinking that "forward" means "away from your starting position" and any direction meaning "two possible directions". If you don't think people are that stupid then leave it as it is as I prefer the sound of your wording!!

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

thehippo8 wrote:"Two forward and one to the side" could be confusing for some people (yes there are airheads in this world). Maybe "two straight then one to the left or right" might be better? I can just picture some moron thinking that "forward" means "away from your starting position" and any direction meaning "two possible directions". If you don't think people are that stupid then leave it as it is as I prefer the sound of your wording!!

You are having a laugh. :lol: If anyone was that dumb, I doubt they could fill in the registration form on the home page to even get to play. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 pm

There's already a drawn diagram on the map for the illiterate... the wording is fine.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:06 pm

natty_dread wrote:There's already a drawn diagram on the map for the illiterate... the wording is fine.

Yes, but the dumb might not be able to read a diagram. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas