Knights

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Knights [BETA]

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Can you make a life size version of the map and mail it to AoN so that he can make sweet love to it?
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

chapcrap wrote:Can you make a life size version of the map and mail it to AoN so that he can make sweet love to it?

:lol:
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby Fazeem on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 am

so far loving it please do not change it...
Lieutenant Fazeem

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

chapcrap wrote:Can you make a life size version of the map and mail it to AoN so that he can make sweet love to it?

you so funny!

Id play it in real life though

and in the next version if you skipped the chess idea (except for army movement) and add kingdoms with 10 starting points I can pretty much fucking promise you that you could sell this as a board game in rl.

that is truth
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby BrigitteBardot on Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Love to find out who's the best 1vs1 player on this map so I've just started up a 1vs1 Knights tournament. Feel free to join:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=170777

BB
Lieutenant BrigitteBardot

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby chapcrap on Sun May 13, 2012 2:56 am

After playing, I think that the bonus men shouldn't be given for half of the board. Usually in a 1v1, it will be pretty even and someone could have 32 terts vs 28 terts and get a large bonus which would essentially decide the game. Maybe 40 terts could give the bonus. That would be 5 rows.
Captain chapcrap

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 am

chapcrap wrote:After playing, I think that the bonus men shouldn't be given for half of the board. Usually in a 1v1, it will be pretty even and someone could have 32 terts vs 28 terts and get a large bonus which would essentially decide the game. Maybe 40 terts could give the bonus. That would be 5 rows.

Played one game and found the guy who went first managed to get the 32 territs (very lucky dice). Could not do anything as it was trench. Going to increase but thinking about numbers. 40 sounds high, but half way (36) sounds a tad better. Let me think.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 13, 2012 9:11 am

Map images and xml to holding 40 squares before getting the extra 5.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/27/3255536/KNIGHTS.xml

Postby swimmerdude99 on Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Could you make it so that if you hold 25 or maybe 26 you also get +2 then it goes to +5 at 40? :)

High Score: 2992
Major swimmerdude99

Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 14, 2012 11:06 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:Could you make it so that if you hold 25 or maybe 26 you also get +2 then it goes to +5 at 40? :)

No, as that would just mean players would attack on mass. I raised it to forty to stop this happening. Even though the odds of someone getting 16 territs first go are small, it just happened to me in a trench game. I lost round 3.

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I just want to say again.... the map is darn near perfect.

This is a Oaktown sort of map.. that guy is smiling somewhere just from the karma this map is sending hom.

Its simple BUT friggin deep.

Its graphics are within the threshold of what you would expect of a chessboard.

Gameplay A+

and finally what makes it great is that it is different.

dude you didnt make another europe map or a state map. I know you borrowed from the chess Idea that was floated around here for 6 years, but you are the one that did it.

I dig it. I predict as people play it, and realize that in a way it is as strategic and slow as waterloo, it is going to become a favorite.

I might be wrong though... but at least from me, thanks
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Sent to the turtle

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby The Cheat on Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 am

The current language: "You will receive 5 troops per round and 5 extra troops when you control 40 squares" is awkward ...

Perhaps it should read: "You will receive 5 troops per round." ... and then list the 5 bonus troops for controlling 40 squares under the bonuses ... with the rest of the bonuses ...
"SPARTANS, What is your profession?"
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6sARmxEuc&feature=related[/YouTube]
Sergeant 1st Class The Cheat

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 am

The Cheat wrote:The current language: "You will receive 5 troops per round and 5 extra troops when you control 40 squares" is awkward ...

Perhaps it should read: "You will receive 5 troops per round." ... and then list the 5 bonus troops for controlling 40 squares under the bonuses ... with the rest of the bonuses ...

That is the thing though, it is not a bonus. It might not be the best English, but I have not found a better way of saying it.

Postby ender516 on Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Based on what I read in the XML, it is a bonus, as it is awarded for holding a continent. The game log will describe it that way, so why not put it on the map that way?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 pm

It might be in the xml as a bonus, but it is not a bonus as such. I do not want to describe it as such. If they was a way to do it as reinforcements within the xml then I would. I could change the name of that bonus continent to Extra Reinforcements though.

Postby ender516 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:16 pm

koontz1973 wrote:It might be in the xml as a bonus, but it is not a bonus as such. I do not want to describe it as such. If they was a way to do it as reinforcements within the xml then I would. I could change the name of that bonus continent to Extra Reinforcements though.

Just to back up a bit, I am not sure I see what TheCheat sees as awkward, so maybe there is nothing more to be said about this, but if others do not like the current wording, I propose "You will receive 5 troops per turn if you hold 39 squares or less, but 10 troops per turn if you hold at least 40 squares."

As far as your stand on whether it is a bonus or not, it seems like you are making a distinction without a difference. I don't understand your reluctance to call it a bonus. I do agree that more flexibility in the XML would be welcome: the ability to specify a multiplier as well as a divisor would be very handy.

Finally, I think that name change would be counter productive. "Player received 5 troops for holding Extra Reinforcements" is not as informative as "Player received 5 troops for holding At least 40 squares".
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 pm

ender516 wrote:I don't understand your reluctance to call it a bonus.

I had a long debate with natty about bonuses. I never wanted them on the map in the first place, so after about 4 pages of to and fro with him, I put them on. You know how persuasive he can be sometimes. ;)

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm

no bonus would have been better

but as it is, I like it
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby chapcrap on Fri May 25, 2012 5:39 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:no bonus would have been better

but as it is, I like it

With the win condition, I'm not sure a bonus is really necessary any longer. But, I don't have a problem with it at 40, because the game is decided by then anyway.
Captain chapcrap

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Here is some feedback I stumbled across while looking at a game chat. It is older and may be a moot point now, but just in case:

Game 10969421

show

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gilligan on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't understand the confusion, because it says "shields", not "squares".
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 200
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (31)

Postby nippersean on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Neither do I - I thought it was v clear - but I'm not sure about the gameplay tho - maybe bitter 0-1 result but that's a tough tert bonus and a tough shield bonus not to make it a dicefest in 1v1 games
Colonel nippersean

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (15)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm

That game chat was written before one of the updates when the map did say squares. It was confusing as that chat shows, which is why it was changed. As for he tough shield bonus and region count, it is the best way to make all sides equal over the short run. Only strategy will will allow you the upper hand. That or play noobs. ;)

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 am

koontz1973 wrote:.. will will ...you ... play noobs
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas