Knights

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: KNIGHTS [15/10] Version 5 Page 3.

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 am

koontz1973 wrote:Gillipig, you have made you feelings known towards this map, loud and clear. :(

Don't take it personal koontz. I try to be honest, when I say I like something I really do like it and I have to let you know when I don't like something. Especially when I like some parts of of the map. I actually only want to help.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 am

I know Gillipig, just been a bad day. Buggered up the Falklands map which did not put me in a good mood, then RL popped its ugly head up.

You know what I am like, always happy to try and get in the ideas of the community but this one is a little more personal.

With the larger board and the bonuses, I am more than happy to produce the images as long as everyone is happy to allow this to go through without till Beta stage. Then, as I said, if needed, it will all be done so n rush jobs.

As for the larger board, I really like the idea so if this one works, a second one may come around but with a different graphical style. Been playing around with the idea of a map where you can only attack 3 territs away. Thus making it even harder to get to the man you want.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:54 pm

As promised, here are the versions with the bonuses added to the map. Top image is what I would like but the other two are the sequence of maps that would go in if the main map proves to be faulty. No changes have been made to the map apart from adding the bonuses.
Main map.
Second version.
This has the column bonus. Hold all territs in a column to claim.
Third version.
This one has dots on to show where the bonuses are. This is my least favourite one as the dots spoil the board image. But as a map that would have the bonuses, it is better than version 2.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Re: KNIGHTS [15/10] Version 5 Page 1 & 5.

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm

If you were doing the bonus route than I like the dots and utilisation of the chess concept of the importance of the centre. Still not convinced it is necessary but it certainly adds another element. I will think for a bit before voting.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Re: KNIGHTS [15/10] Version 5 Page 1 & 5.

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

1. no bonuses - in my opinion will lead to boring games predisposed to stalemates, especially in 1v1.
2. column bonus - virtually impossible to hold so not a good idea
3. dot bonuses - while i'm not perfectly satisfied with this either, i do think it is a great leap forward especially because of the placement in the center of the map. this way in 1v1 people will have an incentive to attack instead of sitting back stacking and waiting for the other to break the neutrals.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: KNIGHTS [15/10] Version 5 Page 1 & 5. Bonus Poll.

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:00 pm

This is why I hate polls. A week has passed in trying to give the community a choice and only 2 votes. :( Not voted myself so I could break a tie. ;) Come on guys, get your choice in.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 pm

I think the dot idea is the way to go. Instead of dots you could outline each square with the colors - stay away from the yellow as it is hard to see in the legend.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:11 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I think the dot idea is the way to go. Instead of dots you could outline each square with the colors - stay away from the yellow as it is hard to see in the legend.

Another vote, wow. :lol: And just think, my mum always told me not to complain. The dots where there to illustrate the bonuses, but a outline might be better. If that is the way to go, then a great suggestion.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Nah it's just a tad bit slow in the foundry right now.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Everyone is off looking for differences in Italy right now.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Gillipig on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 pm

AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby danfrank on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 pm

this map is great for its originality.. i love chess and cant wait to see this thing get beta.. keep up the goodwork koontz :P
Sergeant danfrank

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 pm

danfrank wrote:this map is great for its originality.. i love chess and cant wait to see this thing get beta.. keep up the goodwork koontz :P

Thanks dan, only a few more days to get in your vote for spoils or not. :?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby danfrank on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:58 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
danfrank wrote:this map is great for its originality.. i love chess and cant wait to see this thing get beta.. keep up the goodwork koontz :P

Thanks dan, only a few more days to get in your vote for spoils or not. :?

i voted .. i chose option 3 ... :P
Sergeant danfrank

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:01 pm

After 3 weeks off poll and 16 votes cast, the time has come for a decision to be made.

8 without bonus. =D>
8 with normal continent bonuses. ;)
0 votes for the column bonuses. :(

As the map maker, I am going to break the tie and go with my original idea of no bonuses. I will though produce the two different maps incase when we get to beta, it proves faulty.

Now that that is sorted, lets get on with this one.

Anything else before a GP stamp mods?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas