Conquer Club

King's Court 2 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: King's Court 2 - BETA (Live now)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 pm

can I vote "please for the love of god do not make a kings court 3"?

thanx
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby J_Indr on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:18 am

ViperOverLord wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:Is the 2 knights to 1 castle plus one bonus working?

I took 2 knights on my first turn and my deploy did not increase.

Game 10980603

I'm still having this issue in another game. Can someone please explain to me why 2 knights and a castle is not adding up to the plus one bonus? It does it in KC1 and says it does it in the key on kc2 but it's not giving me the bonus. What am I missing?

It's not working. I think Kabanellas mentioned it before. He also asked whether there is any point in that sort of bonus since we all play the map now without it (and it seems to work well?)
Corporal 1st Class J_Indr

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

Genaraln7 wrote:Kabanellas about the port problem isent it an idea to just remove the bonus to the ports? There are aready enough bonus lands on the map and the ports are only there for transport right? And if i see correctly you aready get a bounis for connecting your villages to your port...

It's an option.... I can go with that if the majority feels like it.

ViperOverLord wrote:Is the 2 knights to 1 castle plus one bonus working?
I took 2 knights on my first turn and my deploy did not increase.
]

Waiting on lack to update the XML. ;)

J_Indr wrote:Is there any point in village 10? I can't imagine it being used in any game :D
(I mean, you don't need to remove or change it, but in order to make it useful, the archers around the nearby castle would have to be arranged differently)

just for the fun of it :) ...

Halmir wrote:Sorry to be picky (although I'm good at it :D) but "Chamberlain" has been mis-spelt with an "n"?

Looks great otherwise !

Thanks! Totally missed that! I'll correct it. :)

army of nobunaga wrote:can I vote "please for the love of god do not make a kings court 3"?

thanx

uhhhh?!!! (I wasn't thinking about it, but now that you mentioned it....)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Genaraln7 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 am

army of nobunaga wrote:can I vote "please for the love of god do not make a kings court 3"?

thanx

uhhhh?!!! (I wasn't thinking about it, but now that you mentioned it....)[/quote]

XD why not?:P
Once these were fertile farmlands, soon your blood will make them fertile again.
Lieutenant Genaraln7

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 am

thanx

Go Back and comment about loving Knights again ;) leave this map to us who like them :D I vote yes to kings court 3!!! :D
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 am

Thanks Swimmer :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:14 am

updating the 'to-do' list:

-Darken the hex borders a bit (Image files)
-Correct 'Chamberlain' spelling (Image files)
-Correct S17 archer, it should be A17 archer (Image files)
-Correct HB2 knight to NOT border Beoren castle (XML)

Considering:
-Remove the auto-deploy ability on Ports ? (XML and Image files)
-Decrease killer-neutrals on the College of Cardinals from 6 to 5 (XML and Image files)

-Admiral is the only Counselor that can drop troops from the Court to a non-bombard region, which makes him especially powerful over the others - considering to add a negative effect (-1) for owning the admiral and a port, or maybe -1 for every 2 ports (XML and Image files)
Last edited by Kabanellas on Tue May 15, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Genaraln7 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Sry if i ask but why do you have that negative affect on the king? I mean you could always make his bounus less instead of having a negative affect with him?

I havent tryed him out yet but as the map now is you could go for the king and all the bounus you get with him and then just start bombarding the enemy castels with archers and/or trebuchets and thereby dodging the negative affects of the king....

But i dont know your idea(s) behind this so ill start by advising you to lower the kings bounus with counselers, kights and villages from 2 to 1.

Genaraln7
Once these were fertile farmlands, soon your blood will make them fertile again.
Lieutenant Genaraln7

Postby M.K.C88-90 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 am

wwell the fact is you start with 2 castle's so your already at negative 10, which means you need 5 of the +2 to get back to even.

I personnaly dont think the negative effect needs to be raised, i like it the way it is, your bonous for holding him is just about right mid game, i will actually use the king here, where in KC1 i never go through the king first, unless its trench and nobody else is on a noble
Cook M.K.C88-90

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am

Kabanellas wrote:Thanks Swimmer :)

But just because you like me so much... make it a bit smaller map size ;)
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am

Kabanellas wrote:ok, going to compile a to-do list:

Considering:
-Decrease killer-neutrals on the College of Cardinals from 6 to 5 ? (XML and Image files)
-Increase the negative effect from owning each Castle and the King from -5 to -6 or -7 ? (XML and Image files)

I really don't think that any of those game changes need to be made. I almost think that the College of Cardinals could be higher instead of lower.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Culs De Sac on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:06 pm

chapcrap wrote:

Considering:
-Decrease killer-neutrals on the College of Cardinals from 6 to 5 ? (XML and Image files)
-Increase the negative effect from owning each Castle and the King from -5 to -6 or -7 ? (XML and Image files)

I really don't think that any of those game changes need to be made. I almost think that the College of Cardinals could be higher instead of lower.

College of cardinals resets as is.. to increase it would almost guarantee the non use of it.. Especially knowing that you have to bomb Nobles and their stacks can vary
Major Culs De Sac

Postby aad0906 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:44 pm

S17 archer should be A17 archer. In the game chat it says I dropped 17 troops on A17 archer but there is no A17 archer. Instead the troops landed on S17 archer which is inbetween A16 and A18.
Major aad0906

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Culs De Sac wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Considering:

College of cardinals resets as is.. to increase it would almost guarantee the non use of it.. Especially knowing that you have to bomb Nobles and their stacks can vary

Yes, but with 10 castles, there will almost always be empty castles (unless you play a 5 player game). So, it's very good for recon without getting caught. That's why I think it could be increased.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Genaraln7 on Tue May 01, 2012 3:43 pm

chapcrap wrote:Yes, but with 10 castles, there will almost always be empty castles (unless you play a 5 player game). So, it's very good for recon without getting caught. That's why I think it could be increased.

But now your only talking about fog of war games but alot op people dont even play that mode... without fog of war noone will use the collage of cardinals. I also think its good as it is.

I think i have found another bug or at least the road bounus wont seem to work...
With BOB all i see is this (its fog of war so i have to blank out the names with ***) :

1 Village (0)2 Villages (0)1 Knight (0)2 Knights (0)1 Castle (0)1 Castle + 2 Knights (1)*** Village (1)**** Village (1*** -**** (1)**** - **** (1)House ***** [2]***** Noble [1]*** Knight [1]*** Knight [1]*** Port [1]

Kabanellas if you want i can always send a PM with more details seeing your not part of the game...
Lieutenant Genaraln7

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Some may play without fog of war, but I think largely on conquest maps, people play with fog of war. And it should be larger so that people can't lose their nobles quite so easily. I mean, it's fine with me if it stays where it's at, I'll be sure to take advantage in every game I play.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Kabanellas on Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 am

chapcrap wrote:

Considering:

Ok, I'm leaving the negative effect on the king as it is.
But what about the Ports? They already are part of a bonus when you connect them to the nearest village so maybe they should lose the auto-deploy feature. As for the College of Cardinals, I really think that those neutral killers should be reduced. Just for comparison: on KC1 the King has 7 neutral killers but is incomparably more useful/important than the College of Cardinal on KC2
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Wed May 02, 2012 4:28 am

aad0906 wrote:S17 archer should be A17 archer. In the game chat it says I dropped 17 troops on A17 archer but there is no A17 archer. Instead the troops landed on S17 archer which is inbetween A16 and A18.

I'll correct it on the next update
Major Kabanellas

Postby chapcrap on Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 am

Kabanellas wrote:As for the College of Cardinals, I really think that those neutral killers should be reduced. Just for comparison: on KC1 the King has 7 neutral killers but is incomparably more useful/important than the College of Cardinal on KC2

I disagree. in KC1, someone can follow you through the King or at least know that you've taken it. In KC2, you can take the College of Cardinals in secret if it's FOW and even if someone knows you took it, they can't just follow you through. And, with the number of castles being 10 instead of 8, reconnaissance is even more important.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Seamus76 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:47 am

First let me say well done Kab! More often than not the sequels to things are a big disappointment, but here you have truly taken Kings Court 1 to a new level, and evolved it to be a more challenging and thoughtful game play map. Great work. This has been one of my new favorites and have played 13 games so far, here's a couple thoughts:

- While I don't like the negative effect of the king, it does certainly add a higher level of strategy so as not to screw yourself, and at the same time give your opponent a way to trap you (much like on antarctica), which has happened to me. So long story short on this one, even though I don't like it, I would say keep it how it is for now.
- Personally I don't think the ports should be an auto deploy. Like you mentioned they are currently part of the road bonus, and since they are a major through-way to the rest of the map there is more of a challenge to move off of them, or to leave a certain number behind that you think your opponent will have trouble with. Thus keeping the stack from growing automatically will force a player to keep them more front of mind.
- I wasn't able to go back through the entire thread, so I'm not sure if it was discussed, but I don't like how there is no Knight in the House of Finwe. There's not even one close by, but there are 4 Archers in a 3-4 hex radius. I would like to see one of those, maybe A11 Archer be a Knight. I'm more of a Knight than an Archer player so the two Knights in the House of Doriath I like. Some could argue one should be an Archer, etc. I guess it's personal play strategy, but I'm not a fan of Finwe because of that reason.
- Two Catapults in the House of Hareth seems a bit much. I might take one, but two probably never. Especially since they both basically bombard the same terits.
- It might be just my eyes, but it does seem the hexs on the right side are a little darker than the left. For example HB5 and HB6 are a little light.

That's all I have for now, but again great work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Kabanellas on Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot Seamus!!

It's part of the concept on KC2 to have some differences between Houses/Castles unlike what happens on KC1 where all Castles are pretty much the same. This spices up game play because you have to adjust the game play accordingly to where you start. You can also take some hints from that diversity, as to where players are starting, when you play in fog.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

There is something bothering me concerning the Admiral. I'm having the feeling that people will choose 90% of time the Admiral over the other counselors, having that useful feature of taking any port from there... Basically the Admiral is far more useful than any of the other Counselors.

I'm proposing a negative effect to balance things and make it a bit less appealing and less powerful. Maybe a -2 per Port?
Major Kabanellas

Postby chapcrap on Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Kabanellas wrote:There is something bothering me concerning the Admiral. I'm having the feeling that people will choose 90% of time the Admiral over the other counselors, having that useful feature of taking any port from there... Basically the Admiral is far more useful than any of the other Counselors.

I'm proposing a negative effect to balance things and make it a bit less appealing and less powerful. Maybe a -2 per Port?

How about instead it bombards the ports instead of attacking them?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Kabanellas on Thu May 03, 2012 3:07 pm

I thought of that initially - but that would probably make it a bit redundant on the great scheme of things... The bombard ability of the Duke and his bonus capability make him much more appealing over the Admiral.

Maybe a -1 (or-2) per port for the Admiral? Taking ports with him might be useful, but comes with a cost...
Major Kabanellas

Postby Seamus76 on Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:There is something bothering me concerning the Admiral. I'm having the feeling that people will choose 90% of time the Admiral over the other counselors, having that useful feature of taking any port from there... Basically the Admiral is far more useful than any of the other Counselors.

How about instead it bombards the ports instead of attacking them?

This was my thought too. Just make it bombard instead of attack. I see what you're going for by having that difference, but to me the redundancness (not sure that's a word, but it is now) would be a good thing for the Admiral. I'm not sure if you've seen a lot of Admirals being taken in other games, but in the ones I have played it's been more often Lord Chamberlain. Not sure why, maybe it's because you get +2 (most of the time if you still have your 2 nobles) and another +1 auto deploy, so basically +3. To me that's better than the Admiral, maybe not as "useful", but +3 is pretty useful as well.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas