Island of Doom

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Island of Doom [17.Oct.11] - V3 - p1

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:The Military Base and Volcano don't serve much purpose other than for their respective objectives. Maybe include some nice one-way attacks, like Volcano ---> Netiro, Volcano ---> Polt, Volcano ---> Vuner, Secret Base ---> Jurib. Also, the dark, "gritty" metal background for the legend doesn't really work well with the font. I'd suggest picking a different font for the legend. You should make the map overall darker and "grittier" to give it more worthy of the descriptor, "DOOM" ;)

-Sully

the legend is still a work in progress. in fact the background is taken from the steamworks map :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:30 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Where the hell are the polar bears? And the smoke monster?

maybe in the next one :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah, and the DHARMA stations and giant stone foot? The hell is wrong with you, DiM??!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby grifftron on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:

Yeah, and the DHARMA stations and giant stone foot? The hell is wrong with you, DiM??!

-Sully

Please don't go towards LOST because that would be silly... but I do agree with lostatlimbo.. this is the f'ing "Island of Doom!"... you gotta make it dark, scary.. have monsters, fires, blood and whatever else makes things scary!... looking at your past maps, you obviously could do something like that, its just not living up to its name atm IMO

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:56 am

grifftron wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully

Please don't go towards LOST because that would be silly... but I do agree with lostatlimbo.. this is the f'ing "Island of Doom!"... you gotta make it dark, scary.. have monsters, fires, blood and whatever else makes things scary!... looking at your past maps, you obviously could do something like that, its just not living up to its name atm IMO

-griff

Lol, griff, I was JKing.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 am

ok so despite what people might think my inspiration source is not LOST. in fact i have never seen a single episode of LOST. maybe they had a dark scary place there but that's not really what i'm aiming for.
in fact my inspiration source is DEAD ISLAND, for those that played the game they surely know it was a bright lush nice place with gorgeous scenery and yet any time you heard a screamer you'd shit your pants not knowing where the freaking zombies would attack from. point is it doesn't have to be dark to be scary.
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 am

I like the overall aesthetic of this map, and knights and warlocks. I'd probably play this a lot more than knights and warlocks though, since K&W feels like some of your other maps dressed up a little differently.

Best of luck.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am

Reminds me very much of your other map Knights and Warlocks. Are you planning to go ahead with both of them or just trying two ideas out and then choosing one to go ahead with?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Gillipig wrote:Reminds me very much of your other map Knights and Warlocks. Are you planning to go ahead with both of them or just trying two ideas out and then choosing one to go ahead with?

aside from some graphic resemblances the rest is completely different. both the theme and the gameplay are completely different than Knights and Warlocks.

so obviously i'm going forward with both.
Major DiM

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 pm

DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Reminds me very much of your other map Knights and Warlocks. Are you planning to go ahead with both of them or just trying two ideas out and then choosing one to go ahead with?

aside from some graphic resemblances the rest is completely different. both the theme and the gameplay are completely different than Knights and Warlocks.

Graphics is the first second and third thing I look at. Takes me a long time before I even start looking at the gameplay. Just how my eyes work I guess.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

DiM wrote:ok so despite what people might think my inspiration source is not LOST. in fact i have never seen a single episode of LOST. maybe they had a dark scary place there but that's not really what i'm aiming for.
in fact my inspiration source is DEAD ISLAND, for those that played the game they surely know it was a bright lush nice place with gorgeous scenery and yet any time you heard a screamer you'd shit your pants not knowing where the freaking zombies would attack from. point is it doesn't have to be dark to be scary.

I was just teasing you, but this actually surprises me. There are so many elements of LOST here, and especially with the winning condition being All temples + Volcano... that's almost the plot. Plus the military base, the antennas, etc.

Perhaps the creators of LOST were also inspired by the Dead Island game.

At any rate, I don't think any semblance to the show is a bad thing. Someone suggested a LOST map in the melting pot a while back and I thought it was a great idea and I like the look of this one on its own too.
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

so, what else needs to be done here?

hit me with feedback people :)
what do you think of the neutrals? the bonuses?

VS said i should "include some nice one-way attacks, like Volcano ---> Netiro, Volcano ---> Polt, Volcano ---> Vuner, Secret Base ---> Jurib"
thoughts?
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 am

DiM wrote:so, what else needs to be done here?

hit me with feedback people :)
what do you think of the neutrals? the bonuses?

VS said i should "include some nice one-way attacks, like Volcano ---> Netiro, Volcano ---> Polt, Volcano ---> Vuner, Secret Base ---> Jurib"
thoughts?

in the legend you're reffering to military base, however on the map it's named secret base.

also, i like the fact that you have no classic continents in this one. I'd suggest removing the territory count bonus as well (like get 4 armies for 12 territories and 5 for 15) and instead just have everyone get 4 armies regartless of how many territories one has. (or maybe just the standard 3). Also i'd like to have some kind of system like in the England map where you get bonus armies for holding x amount of territories in a certain region, however unlike the england map it would be nice if those regions overlap. so in essense you'd be able to craft your own little continent.

not sure if it fits the theme and style of the map, if it does, implement it, if it doesn't use it in a future map.
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Lieutenant zimmah

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 am

zimmah wrote:in the legend you're reffering to military base, however on the map it's named secret base.

will change

zimmah wrote:also, i like the fact that you have no classic continents in this one. I'd suggest removing the territory count bonus as well (like get 4 armies for 12 territories and 5 for 15) and instead just have everyone get 4 armies regartless of how many territories one has. (or maybe just the standard 3).

this can be done.

zimmah wrote:Also i'd like to have some kind of system like in the England map where you get bonus armies for holding x amount of territories in a certain region, however unlike the england map it would be nice if those regions overlap. so in essense you'd be able to craft your own little continent.

not sure if it fits the theme and style of the map, if it does, implement it, if it doesn't use it in a future map.

it doesn't quite really fit this style. however i coult try and implement this into knights and warlocks. i'll see.
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm

This here is your stamp of Doom!
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas