Conquer Club

Patch Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Quilt Wars [27.Nov.11] - V6 - p1&5

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 pm

natty_dread wrote:OH LOOK, here's a map that is chock-full of imaginary borders and territories, and I'm pretty sure those buttons are a product of fantasy.

Why don't you just bin this piece of crap shit.

Wheeee, look everyone. I'm giving feedback! Now you have to do everything I say or you're an asshole!

:roll:

You are not helping your cause...

And Patch War sounds neat! :D

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 pm

please don't quote him sully. i have him on ignore to avoid reading his megalomaniac insulting nonsense. quoting him does not help.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 pm

DiM wrote:please don't quote him sully. i have him on ignore to avoid reading his megalomaniac insulting nonsense. quoting him does not help.

Let's not be petty now, DiM. You and natty are both men of the Foundry. At least act like it in this forum and we might be able to get some kickass maps through this thing (faster).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
DiM wrote:please don't quote him sully. i have him on ignore to avoid reading his megalomaniac insulting nonsense. quoting him does not help.

Let's not be petty now, DiM. You and natty are both men of the Foundry. At least act like it in this forum and we might be able to get some kickass maps through this thing (faster).

-Sully

i'm not being petty, i got tired of his attitude so i've put him on ignore for a few months. it's working great if people don't quote him and it saves me a lot of time because i don't have to read or answer to his obnoxious posts. the ignore feature exists there for a reason and i'm glad i'm using it especially after reading that latest sample of idiocy that you quoted :roll:

now, let's forget about this subject. he's an insignificant internet troll and i don't want my thread jacked.
PS: you haven't answered my xml pm :P
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:44 pm

It's all gravy, baby.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Flapcake on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 am

A quick comment:

In my opinion is "Zorg" too dark, Suggestion, swap places with "Casper" then will both be more toned up, not that "Casper" need it, but "Zorg" almost disappears.

All for now
Flap
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 am

I could live with Patchwar or Patch Wars.

I also think Flapcake might be right about swapping the places of Casper and Zorg.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:31 pm

V7:
*tweaked teddy patch texture for more visibility
*switched casper with zorg
*changed name to Patch Wars

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Patch Wars [10.Dec.11] - V7 - p1&8

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Well, I have no problems with the gameplay on this so, go ahead and quilt this in!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:17 pm

woohoo :)
Major DiM

Postby Flapcake on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Congrats Dim =D>
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby gimil on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 pm

These textures are far far far to strong for me mate. I try to look at the map and by synapse start throbbing with mild pain. I can't look at it more that a few seconds at a time. do the textures needs to be so prominent?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:47 pm

gimil wrote:These textures are far far far to strong for me mate. I try to look at the map and by synapse start throbbing with mild pain. I can't look at it more that a few seconds at a time. do the textures needs to be so prominent?

kids like vibrant colours.
their toys are bright red, blue or green, not earth brown or pastel cream.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:59 pm

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:These textures are far far far to strong for me mate. I try to look at the map and by synapse start throbbing with mild pain. I can't look at it more that a few seconds at a time. do the textures needs to be so prominent?

kids like vibrant colours.
their toys are bright red, blue or green, not earth brown or pastel cream.

Well gimil likes his eyes unstrained and his maps readable. I suspect that those heavy textures and vibrant colours will make for a difficult playing experience. Not to sound like a dick...but for anyone out there with epilepsy this map is one step down from a strobe light in the face.

No offence intended mate but I may have to palm the stamping of this one off to someone else. Seems people are interested enough in the idea but I really do find it uncomfortably unpleasant to look at for more than a few seconds. I don't really want to be giving myself sore heads just to review it...hope you understand ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm

p.s. thats not to say the quality of this maps graphics are poor. I just don't like it in any way, shape or form ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Yeah, the colour scheme is a bit out there, but in this case I think it fits the style & theme of the map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:37 pm

not all maps can have pastel colours and soothing textures. sometimes the theme calls for something else. it's a matter of taste afterall.
but look at monsters. it has much stronger colours and there's a lot more clutter going on. or look at clandemonium which has very strong textures. or what about conquerman's colours? or midkemdil orgy of bevel and strong textures?

as natty pointed the theme asks for such textures and colours.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am

DiM wrote:not all maps can have pastel colours and soothing textures. sometimes the theme calls for something else. it's a matter of taste afterall.
but look at monsters. it has much stronger colours and there's a lot more clutter going on. or look at clandemonium which has very strong textures. or what about conquerman's colours? or midkemdil orgy of bevel and strong textures?

Hey! I'm not telling you to change it...I am telling you it gives me a sore head (really it does) to look at. How can I review a map that I can't look at? Hence why I am being honest and letting you know that I will palm it off to someone that CAN look at it ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 am

It would be good to somehow increase the contrast between the buttons and the background, to make them stand out a bit better. Right now they seem to kind of blend in when you look at the whole picture...

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:26 am

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:not all maps can have pastel colours and soothing textures. sometimes the theme calls for something else. it's a matter of taste afterall.

Hey! I'm not telling you to change it...I am telling you it gives me a sore head (really it does) to look at. How can I review a map that I can't look at? Hence why I am being honest and letting you know that I will palm it off to someone that CAN look at it ;)

yeah i understand, i was just explaining why the colours and textures were chosen to be like that.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 am

natty_dread wrote:It would be good to somehow increase the contrast between the buttons and the background, to make them stand out a bit better. Right now they seem to kind of blend in when you look at the whole picture...

i don't know. i actually tried to make them blend to make the image look more realistic.
i can surely make them pop out as much as you want but i doubt that would help the image.
i mean if i add a neon green glow to them they'll be visible from a mile away (and gimil's throbbing veins will burst) but would that really help the map?
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:41 am

DiM wrote:i mean if i add a neon green glow to them they'll be visible from a mile away (and gimil's throbbing veins will burst) but would that really help the map?

Well no, it wouldn't, and obviously I'm not asking you to do anything like that. I'm talking about something subtle, barely noticeable, that will simply create a slightly higher contrast between the impassables & rest of the map.

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 am

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:i mean if i add a neon green glow to them they'll be visible from a mile away (and gimil's throbbing veins will burst) but would that really help the map?

Well no, it wouldn't, and obviously I'm not asking you to do anything like that. I'm talking about something subtle, barely noticeable, that will simply create a slightly higher contrast between the impassables & rest of the map.

well something subtle that doesn't look out of place and adds more depth to the buttons is the shadow so i tweaked that and i think it looks ok.

now...................with tweaked shadow
ImageImage
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 am

Yeah I think that would be fine.

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am

I do like the tweaked shadows much better. Perfect!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas