Conquer Club

Extreme Global Warming [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby jacobh on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 pm

(but not Moscow?)
Major jacobh

Postby Lt. Valerian on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Wait, floating cities? What is this, Water World? Also, who would expend the resources in this post-apocalyptic world to build these things especially in the South Indian Ocean?
Major Lt. Valerian

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:47 am

Lt. Valerian wrote:Wait, floating cities? What is this, Water World? Also, who would expend the resources in this post-apocalyptic world to build these things especially in the South Indian Ocean?

first of all, its not a post-apocalyptic world. this amount of global warming would take place over hundreds of years, so its not like there are gonna be giant tidal waves that flood the coasts. and dont you think humans would EVENTUALLY see the threat and adapt a little? people could build off previously flooded islands so they wouldnt have to make the ports floating or start building off the ocean floor. and these ports wouldnt be huge cities or anything. they would be international ports for ships and aircraft. so, for my map, i took current, centralized islands and turned them into ports. and finally, in response to the comment about moscow being gone, cities like that could be saved, i just didnt see the point in putting a bunch of little major cities off the coast of every continent

and about playability. without the ports, it would just look even more like the classic map. thats actually the reason i put the ports and the uninhabitable zone in, so it would be different from classic
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:48 am

also, i need some feedback on what the bonuses should be
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby casper on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:28 am

so i read from multiple sources that even if all the polar ice caps melted that sea levels would rise around 70 meters. your map looks more like a 300 meter rise. so what would make the oceans rise that much besides ice melting?

again a great site to look at... http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet/ plug in the amount of sea level rise or fall and it will give you resulting maps for the world, europe, france, se asia, japan and korea, west coast and east coast usa.
Major casper

Postby fluffybunnykins on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:59 am

http://flood.firetree.net/
this one uses google map, so you can zoom in & out, pan, view by map, satelite photo or hybrid, etc.
You can only raise by up to 14m, though, so it might not be extreme enough for your use...
I'm still OK, where I live now, even after 14m. But where I used to live is gone in 2! Phew!
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby RobinJ on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:03 am

Who said this map is not original - looks pretty original to me...

Obviously, this is going to take work but the foundations are there for a great map!

(Damn - if this were to happen anytime soon in real life I will be fucked! :lol: Northern Ireland has gone! :cry: )
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:31 pm

casper wrote:so i read from multiple sources that even if all the polar ice caps melted that sea levels would rise around 70 meters. your map looks more like a 300 meter rise. so what would make the oceans rise that much besides ice melting?

again a great site to look at... http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet/ plug in the amount of sea level rise or fall and it will give you resulting maps for the world, europe, france, se asia, japan and korea, west coast and east coast usa.

i know in real life the waters wouldnt rise so much, but only 70 meters is really small, so i made this a world where extreme global warming has taken place
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby boberz on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:42 am

just t let you know im nt blown away with the idea yet sorry cant see it working for me
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:15 am

boberz wrote:just t let you know im nt blown away with the idea yet sorry cant see it working for me

Than you are really George Bush in disguise.
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby johloh on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:39 am

i realize youre using a mercator projection which enhances the size of antarctica, but having a global warming map with a gigantic ice sheet at the bottom bothers me...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/AntarcticaRockSurface.jpg
this image shows antarctica if the ice was removed. not taking into account sea level rise if the ice did melt...so sea level should be even higher than shown on this map!

either way id shrink down antarctica...and even if its not an accurate 'projection' id shrink it so antarctica is only in the center portion of the map, and maybe some islands that are connected instead of a large mass.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby DeyTa on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:33 pm

uninhabitable isnt a word.

Habitable = People can live there
Inhabitable = People cannot live there

i think inhabitable is the word you are looking for
Corporal DeyTa

Postby Lt. Valerian on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Um, no, uninhabitable is most definitely a word... I think you need to check a dictionary. Habitable and inhabitable mean the same thing...
Major Lt. Valerian

Postby hulmey on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:29 pm

This map is very nice and i voted for it to continue by the way...

However i think you need to add something different to it...Different kind of gameplay or sumthing...

I thought of a little idea....

Whoever has the a country in the red zone loses one army every turn but if they have a country in the antartica they lose nothing...

Now it could be important to have a country in the red zone to break up continents of the other players¬!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 pm

johloh wrote:i realize youre using a mercator projection which enhances the size of antarctica, but having a global warming map with a gigantic ice sheet at the bottom bothers me...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/AntarcticaRockSurface.jpg
this image shows antarctica if the ice was removed. not taking into account sea level rise if the ice did melt...so sea level should be even higher than shown on this map!

either way id shrink down antarctica...and even if its not an accurate 'projection' id shrink it so antarctica is only in the center portion of the map, and maybe some islands that are connected instead of a large mass.

yeah, thats an interesting map
i'll look into it
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby wrightfan123 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:40 am

I think someone may have said this before, but you should make it so all the ports can attackone another and there's a decent sized bonus for holding them all.
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby coconut4paws on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:23 pm

BUMP!!!!!!!!!! Done any work on it yet??
You're obsessed with CC when...
codyjd wrote:When you're listening to a history lecture and think, "wow, Hitler had really good dice."
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:26 pm

yep, im working on a version with changes you guys have suggested
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby coconut4paws on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:42 pm

sweet. cant wait to play a game...
codyjd wrote:When you're listening to a history lecture and think, "wow, Hitler had really good dice."
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby coconut4paws on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:47 pm

are you close to finishing yet? can you show us the currnt state?
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby wiggybowler on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:11 pm

This looks like a good map but need some keep it coming
Major wiggybowler

Postby wrightfan123 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:51 am

wiggybowler wrote:This looks like a good map but need some keep it coming

Don't woory, we're on Spring Break (yes!), and between goofing off with me and lanyards and obessing about 'Spore', he'll probably work on the map some.
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby coconut4paws on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:33 pm

ewww...lanyards...they disturb me when guys make them.
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby RobinJ on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:43 pm

No further news on this yet? I noticed it was beginning to slip through the pages (only page 2 to be fair) so decided to give it a small bump.
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:19 pm

i made some changes, mostly revamping antarctica, however, i also changed the bonuses
i also added a kind of underwater effect, to show how the continents sunk, and i toned down the uninhabitable zone
besides that, i just made a few minor changes to some text and stuff
p.s. : i know the legend is too small, and i'll fix it
Last edited by pepperonibread on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal pepperonibread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas