Conquer Club

Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] New style - Does it work?

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 am

You're going to need a better texture than GIMP's default "apply canvas" filter.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:00 am

natty_dread wrote:You're going to need a better texture than GIMP's default "apply canvas" filter.

I know, this was just a quick mock up, to see if it all fitted and did it work. I am working on the canvas texture at the moment but still not right. It might be a better idea to go down the linen route as that is a finer thread.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 am

Here is the linen.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am

Hm... your texture is not showing well on the bright areas which leads me to believe you're using soft light mode for it?

I usually solve the issue by duplicating the texture layer and setting the other copy on grain merge, then adjusting the opacities of both layers until a good balance is found.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 am

natty_dread wrote:Hm... your texture is not showing well on the bright areas which leads me to believe you're using soft light mode for it?

I usually solve the issue by duplicating the texture layer and setting the other copy on grain merge, then adjusting the opacities of both layers until a good balance is found.

Thanks.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 am

Also, the background image doesn't look like something that's painted. You should look into getting some advanced filters if you want to pull of the kind of effect you're going for... G'MIC is something I can recommend for the task.

http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] Bridges / Rivers placement

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am

Last update for today on the graphics side.

Lets try and get GP sorted as it has changed completely. Out are all gimics and now just a normal classic GP so this should be nice and easy to get right.
Bridges - placement thoughts?
Rivers, these can be longer or shorter so ideas on them also.
Bonus numbers - lets leave these till the above it finalised.
Do I really need to put the bridges and rivers into a legend?
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] Pg1/4 Bridges/River placem

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm very impressed with this background...now this screams Jakarta...keep this going, well done!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Why is this in the Recycling box!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 am

cairnswk wrote:I'm very impressed with this background...now this screams Jakarta...keep this going, well done!
Why is this in the Recycling box!

Sent a PM to isaiah40 yesterday to let him know I am going to carry on with this. Give him time. I am sure it will get moved. Thanks again cairnswk.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 am

I'm not isaiah but I think I can [Move] this back to the Main Foundry. :mrgreen:
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 am

Thanks nobodies. Much appreciated.

Now lets look at the gameplay functions before numbers.
Rivers can be made shorter or longer.
Bridges can go in or out.
There are a lot of large bonuses and only a couple of small. Should a large one be split into 2?

As soon as these are settled, numbers for the bonuses can be determined.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Speaking in terms of Jakarta's current make-up politically, culturally, or geographically, is there a line that could be drawn?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 am

I like the general direction of the the background, but I really don't think the filter you've used here works with this map. It doesn't look right.

Really like the title though.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Speaking in terms of Jakarta's current make-up politically, culturally, or geographically, is there a line that could be drawn?

-Sully

In what sense?
lostatlimbo wrote:I like the general direction of the the background, but I really don't think the filter you've used here works with this map. It doesn't look right.

Really like the title though.

Looks fine to me but can tweek it later.

No comments for the placement of things but thanks for looking in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [19/1] Pg1/4

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 am

Click image to enlarge.

Extended the rivers to give a tad more cover to Pusat in the centre. Still only one that is safe.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:46 am

New look, and it looks better :)

I see 3 regions have the wrong name : Johar, Sawah and Cempaka. You had the correct names in old version. I asked me, where the mistakes come from. Then I notice that you merged 3 regions (Senen, Johar and Cempaka) to a single region. And the name of this single region shall be Senen : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cempaka_Putih and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johar_Baru. These 2 article say that Johar was part of Cempaka and Cempaka was part of Senen. And if you compare this new version with the old version, you'll agree to change Johar to Sawah and Sawah to Kemayoran.

And about river. It looks weird that rivers cut off like that. The main river (Ciliwung) continues to flow north and become the boundary between Senen and Menteng, between Sawah and Gambir, then it flows into the sea across Pademangan with many canals, here maybe you can draw it between Pademangan and Penjaringan. Too bad I have no idea about the other rivers, I think they are too small compare to streets and buildings in Jakarta, so I didn't notice them when I lived in Jakarta 6 years ago and it's also hard to see them in Jakarta map :oops:
Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Geger, thanks for popping in, am glad to get this one back into the foundry. I do know about the names, and as you said, I had them right in the first few versions. You are correct about the merging of territs, and I can only say that, with this new look, the map has become smaller so the names and 888's that need to fit inside the regions, mad me look at what can be merged and what name to give them.

Johar to Sawah -will do.
Sawah to Kemayoran - will not fit with the current look on this map and no way in the small. I know Senen is slightly to the south but will that be OK with you. Have to think of space with this one as well as the small.

As for the rivers, I looked at a map that had them and these fit the region borders. I know they flow for longer and some run into the sea. I did not want to have them like that with bridges everywhere, but as you have asked, will look at them again and finish them of. GP will trump real life but it might give me more options with the bonus regions as well.

Let me look at it and will post a new map soonish. Any more help you can give will be helpful as you are from this region of the world.

What would you thoughts be on adding 5 territs for the 5 levels from Pancasila. Would that offend anyone?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

If you look at jakarta map on wiki (I think I put the kink before, but here it is : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... strict.png) Sawah shall be more narrow and Kemayoran breiter. So you can write Kemayoran in that region.

I have no idea how you will add Pancasila to territs. I think nothing wrong to use it. That is our Fondation and it is taken from the preamble constitution. But I don't know, some people consider Pancasila something sacred. And I'm from Sumatra btw, and have lower sense of nationalism than people from Java, lol
Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Will have a look at the names this week and try to fit them in. Will leave of Pancasila as some find it sacred. Do not want anyone to be offended. Just thought the images would look nice but will keep it simple and clean. Drawing the new rivers now and hope to have it done some time soon. Just want to get them right.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am

Hola koontz!

Although I'm more a graphics guy, I would like to share with you some gameplay thoughts I have looking at your map.
Timur and Selatan should be swapped according to the info I found on the web (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _timur.png , http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... elatan.png). Grogol should be named Grogol Petamburan, what you have now as Johar should be Sawah according your borders and Sawah could be Johar or Kemayoran.
You current impassables force the players to run to the centre that in general is a good thing, said that I think you should add also some other connections to create some other viable access to the various zones. For example Penjaringan could have a connections with Cengkareng.
Also in general bonuses that have more than 7 regions are terrible headaches, to prevent this your current Selatan can be splitted in two parts (north and south) of 5 regions; Right now take and hold a 10 regions territories/4 borders for 6 troop is a bit hard to achieve so players would certainly run to kill the opponents instead of trying to grab the bonus.
Maybe a split could be done also for your current Timur, maybe a 5 regions zone and one of 4. If you split it you can think to add also a connection with Barat, maybe lama- kebon juruk or baru-kebon juruk.
Right now the most convenient place to start is the north zone, all the other places needs an accurate plan to take and hold them forcing the players to run down the bottlenecks and fight in the middle hping that the dice will help them to delete the opponents.

Graphically speaking, the background is nice, in general I like it, maybe I suggest you to have less thick-dark black lines on it, if it works with your map outline it is probably too much for the artwork in the background, specially on the left side where you have brown tones (http://gyazo.com/23e46db147dcfaf4376809 ... 1327246308). On the right side, where you have more green they looks fine (http://gyazo.com/ab0e0eabfe7de3b4715fd0 ... 1327246905).

Looking forward your next update ;)
Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 am

nobodies, thanks for the advice. Am going through a GP change right now and will incorporate your suggestions. Just because you are graphics, any help is welcome.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [22/1] Pg1/5

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Been messing around with the bonus areas. Looking at a map of Jakarta, one of the things that the city has an abundance of is water ways. Rivers, canals, slipways and even open sewers. :sick:
This has been the beginnings of 3 new bonus areas.
I have placed two neutrals of 3 on the map to show where they will go, this is to stop the bonus drops in small games.
Can someone in blue give me some ideas on numbers for each area.

Toned down the black line nobodies.
Sorted the names out. Some regions are still merged but the geography should be correct.
Click image to enlarge.

I am going to move the map to the left a bit (around 30 pixels), this will give room for a frame. I suggestions on style?
I also want to distress the map a lot more by putting in a tear.
Bonus names and numbers will go around the map itself. I only want to do that once so numbers need to be gone over.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:40 pm

What exactly are you using on the background image? Looks a bit like a cartoon filter applied on a photo...

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Not a cartoon filter. No bog standard filters used. It is around 7 layers with different modes (multiply, burn, overlay etc) painted 2 colours (red and black) in different ways. Edge on roberts was used. Desaturating and inverting on another. blurring on two of them. I am still perfecting the method so it will get better.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas