Conquer Club

Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [29/10]V2,P1

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:25 am

natty_dread wrote:I only have some graphical input at this point...

Firstly, your font choices aren't very exciting. The title font is ok, although a bit clichƩ... and pixelated, you should fix that. The other fonts... well, they look really generic and boring. For territory fonts, try to find something that is both readable and looks nice. Something a bit thicker maybe. For the legend, you have more leeway as it's in bigger size... try looking for something modern, but not overly complex. If that makes sense...

The land outline looks nice, shape-wise, but it's got some pixelation that should be fixed. You could try converting it to a path and stroking it, or you could try drawing it freehand with the ink tool...

Then, the biggest turn-off on the map image: the background. It's just icky. Kinda like frozen slime or something. I suggest going for something simpler and smoother, and ditching that sickly green colour for something more eye-friendly. Try contrasting it with the playable area... you have mostly light pastel hues on the territories, so something dark and strong could work, like a dark yellow-brown or navy blue...

Also, ditch the pink glow on the coastline. If you want a glow there, try white or greenish-cyan, or maybe just black with soft light mode...

All good points and will sort them out for next update.

As for the background being frozen slime :lol: it was a mistake, I was playing around trying to get a paper texture that I liked, pressed the wrong button and got that instead. Green was added off course.

The title may be clichƩd, but who does not like a good clichƩ now and again. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [23/10]V1,P1

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:The skyscrapers will become impassable s and sort out the 4 way borders.

I don't think it's a good solution. The 1st Skyscrapers near Pancoran are okay, but the other two look strange, because these regions are "flat"
Major Geger

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [23/10]V1,P1

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:42 am

Geger wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The skyscrapers will become impassable s and sort out the 4 way borders.

I don't think it's a good solution. The 1st Skyscrapers near Pancoran are okay, but the other two look strange, because these regions are "flat"

Geger, can you explain more as it has all been done the same way. So if one looks OK, then by default, they all should.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:49 am

Sorry for my bad english :oops:

I meant, there are many skyscrapers near Pancoran (I can accept), but there are no skyscraper in the other two regions (near Durensawit and Cipayung)
Major Geger

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:51 am

Geger wrote:Sorry for my bad english :oops:

I meant, there are many skyscrapers near Pancoran (I can accept), but there are no skyscraper in the other two regions (near Durensawit and Cipayung)

No problem, will remove the skyscrapers from those other two areas and find a more suitable building for them.

As you are from this region of the world, I hope you keep coming back, giving me good suggestions.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Geger on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Geger wrote:Sorry for my bad english :oops:

No problem, will remove the skyscrapers from those other two areas and find a more suitable building for them.

As you are from this region of the world, I hope you keep coming back, giving me good suggestions.

Great. And I believe you will find better solutions ;)
Major Geger

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [29/10]V3,P2

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:20 am

Version 3.
Click image to enlarge.

This should solve the issues raised by natty and Geger.

Geger, with the names you wanted, changed the spelling on one, but do not have the room for two others. Which is why I used the shortened version with Lama and Baru.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:10 am

Latest one. :D
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:30 am

Ok... the background is a step in the right direction, but looks too blurry. Maybe try adding some sharp grunge to it.

The territory font... I'm sorry, it still doesn't work. Same with the bonus legend... wait, is that Corsiva Monotype? *shudder*

Here, let me find some good fonts for you.

Now, these are all clean, nice, evenly kerned sans serif fonts, that could be used for territory fonts...

http://www.dafont.com/alte-haas-grotesk.font
http://www.dafont.com/old-sans-black.font
http://www.dafont.com/sheep-sans.font

Here's a few bit more fancy that could be used for the legend...

http://www.dafont.com/excelsior-sans.font
http://www.dafont.com/mutanta.font

Maybe some of those will work.

Also, try lowering the opacity on the glow on the coast. Glows should be subtle... didn't we go over this on Rorke's drift? ;) (same with the legend text glow, it's too strong...)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok... the background is a step in the right direction, but looks too blurry. Maybe try adding some sharp grunge to it.

The territory font... I'm sorry, it still doesn't work. Same with the bonus legend... wait, is that Corsiva Monotype? *shudder*

Lucida Calligraphy Italic

Here, let me find some good fonts for you.

Now, these are all clean, nice, evenly kerned sans serif fonts, that could be used for territory fonts...

http://www.dafont.com/old-sans-black.font
http://www.dafont.com/sheep-sans.font

Here's a few bit more fancy that could be used for the legend...

http://www.dafont.com/excelsior-sans.font
http://www.dafont.com/mutanta.font

Maybe some of those will work.

Thanks, will look at them.

Also, try lowering the opacity on the glow on the coast. Glows should be subtle... didn't we go over this on Rorke's drift? ;) (same with the legend text glow, it's too strong...)

We did and in the legend it does need to come down. The sea one was intentional but will lower it some but not a lot.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [30/10]V4,P2

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 am

Version 4.
Click image to enlarge.

Sorted the text and background, glows, buildings, territ lines and rivers.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Ok, the background is good enough for now (although I'd suggest making the right side the same colour as the left... the current right side looks too much like some of the territory colours). The legend font... well, it's not one I'd personally choose, but good enough.

The territory labels... I think you could make them larger. You have more than enough space for it. Also... which font is that? It looks like some letters are smaller than others... do you have auto-hinting on in the text settings?

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:35 pm

natty_dread wrote:Ok, the background is good enough for now (although I'd suggest making the right side the same colour as the left... the current right side looks too much like some of the territory colours). The legend font... well, it's not one I'd personally choose, but good enough.

The territory labels... I think you could make them larger. You have more than enough space for it. Also... which font is that? It looks like some letters are smaller than others... do you have auto-hinting on in the text settings?

This is the font, one of the ones you chose. ;)
Will change the background colour.
Legend font is nice, I like it. Different at least and no one can say it is a windows doc.
Text size, if I go up one, some move over territ lines. Do not mind the redraw but would rather keep it as close as it is now for a proper representation of the city. The e is smaller for some reason. Colour of the legend, I want it to stand out but can easily change it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 am

V5
Click image to enlarge.

Text is sorted.

Sticky please.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [31/10]V5,P2

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 am

Ok, the text looks much better now.

Now... there are a few places where the borders are a bit ambiguous. Jagakarsa - Cilandak: the border is so small it's easy to miss, same but opposite on Pesanggrahan - Cilandak: the territory in between, Lama, is so narrow near the land edge that it could cause confusion... I suggest making those a bit clearer.

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [31/10]V5,P2

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok, the text looks much better now.

Now... there are a few places where the borders are a bit ambiguous. Jagakarsa - Cilandak: the border is so small it's easy to miss, same but opposite on Pesanggrahan - Cilandak: the territory in between, Lama, is so narrow near the land edge that it could cause confusion... I suggest making those a bit clearer.

Like this then.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [31/10]Page 1 & 3

Postby The Bison King on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:59 am

I think this is over due for a sticky

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks TBK, was starting to get that sinking feeling. Made my day this has. :)

That just goes to show how bad today has been.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:23 pm

OK, as we move out of the drafting room into the main part of the foundry, I would like to try and leave graphics alone and concentrate on gameplay. As this is a classic city, I would rather not provide a mediocre map that will get played once or twice and then forgotten. So, everything is open to debate from bonus zones, values, impassables, neutral values. Open or closed style. Everything. The only thing that will be closed to debate is the territ lines. As this is the city as is so moving them, you remove the city. I tweaked them for natty as he made the point of clarity but the gameplay was not compromised.

After that, we can get onto graphics but please leave any ideas you have.

Lets have your ideas then. This is your map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:22 pm

I know you want to focus more on tackling gp atm, but I think a minimap might hep clarify the legend because, imo your colors don't match.

And do they really not use bridges in Jakarta? because so many ferries seems ineffcient and the mp might benefit graphically from some bridges.

So the gp looks pretty good to me and I guess I just have graphics comments for future consideration. Though really I'd recommend making small graphic changes as you go along, even if you're focusing on gp atm.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:10 am

Bridges can go in, no problem and a mini map is always a good idea. Will add them to the list of things to do.

Jakarta had a river ferry service that had to close down because of the rubbish in the rivers. When I read that, it seemed different than having bridges, but why not have bridges.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 am

Added the mini map and bridges. Starting to work on the river.
Reduced the Airport neutral to 3 so it comes into play earlier.
Version 4.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [9/11] Version 4. Page 1 & 3

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 pm

unfortunately, you still gotta name your bonus regions, but the minimap looks great imo... i think you can squeeze some names on there. The bridges are a little weak imo. you might try some freeway style bridges or even some wooden ones.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [9/11] Version 4. Page 1 & 3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Will do.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [9/11] Version 5. Page 1 & 3

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 am

Version 5
Click image to enlarge.

Mini map names and new bridges. THe top two need to be scaled down some but need opinions on if these work first?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to The Atlas