Classic Cities Jakarta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [4/12] V5 Page 1 & 3

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:51 pm

At a close look, I thought "How does Andy have any game play value on the map?" Then it was like, oh the monkey is just for decoration! :lol:

Anyhow, I think that Pusat probably is a tad undervalued, considering that it is in the center of the map for all intensive purposes. Plus all but one territory borders another bonus. It could probably be increased to +7, maybe +8.

Where you have "Darker territories ..." Reword it to read " Like a true Classic City, Jakarta has many expats living there - darker territories - These ..." I think this makes it a little more clearer as to where the expats are. I'll get the other CA's to take a look at this, and maybe we can get this stamped soon!
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:24 pm

isaiah40 wrote:At a close look, I thought "How does Andy have any game play value on the map?" Then it was like, oh the monkey is just for decoration! :lol:

Anyhow, I think that Pusat probably is a tad undervalued, considering that it is in the center of the map for all intensive purposes. Plus all but one territory borders another bonus. It could probably be increased to +7, maybe +8.

Where you have "Darker territories ..." Reword it to read " Like a true Classic City, Jakarta has many expats living there - darker territories - These ..." I think this makes it a little more clearer as to where the expats are. I'll get the other CA's to take a look at this, and maybe we can get this stamped soon!

As isaiah said, Pusat would do much better as a +8. Also, I believe Timur should be upped to +5, as it's not much different from Selatan, which is of equal value.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm trying to hard to like this map, but just something about the mish-mash of styles and colors must be out of my taste, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help in the development.

Best of luck,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Per map makers request, this map has been put on vacation.

[MOVED]
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: [VACATION valid until June 2012] Jakarta [15/1] New styl

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 am

After all the comments about the style not having a focus, I got to play around a bit and remembering a painting my father has, tried to emulate that. If it does not work, then back it can go till I find more of a focus.
Click image to enlarge.

Title needs to be worked over to bring it into line with the rest of the image but thought I would see if the community liked this approach. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] New style - Does it work?

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 am

You're going to need a better texture than GIMP's default "apply canvas" filter.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:00 am

natty_dread wrote:You're going to need a better texture than GIMP's default "apply canvas" filter.

I know, this was just a quick mock up, to see if it all fitted and did it work. I am working on the canvas texture at the moment but still not right. It might be a better idea to go down the linen route as that is a finer thread.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 am

Here is the linen.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am

Hm... your texture is not showing well on the bright areas which leads me to believe you're using soft light mode for it?

I usually solve the issue by duplicating the texture layer and setting the other copy on grain merge, then adjusting the opacities of both layers until a good balance is found.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 am

natty_dread wrote:Hm... your texture is not showing well on the bright areas which leads me to believe you're using soft light mode for it?

I usually solve the issue by duplicating the texture layer and setting the other copy on grain merge, then adjusting the opacities of both layers until a good balance is found.

Thanks.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 am

Also, the background image doesn't look like something that's painted. You should look into getting some advanced filters if you want to pull of the kind of effect you're going for... G'MIC is something I can recommend for the task.

http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] Bridges / Rivers placement

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am

Last update for today on the graphics side.

Lets try and get GP sorted as it has changed completely. Out are all gimics and now just a normal classic GP so this should be nice and easy to get right.
Bridges - placement thoughts?
Rivers, these can be longer or shorter so ideas on them also.
Bonus numbers - lets leave these till the above it finalised.
Do I really need to put the bridges and rivers into a legend?
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: Classic Cities Jakarta [15/1] Pg1/4 Bridges/River placem

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm very impressed with this background...now this screams Jakarta...keep this going, well done!
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Why is this in the Recycling box!
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 am

cairnswk wrote:I'm very impressed with this background...now this screams Jakarta...keep this going, well done!
Why is this in the Recycling box!

Sent a PM to isaiah40 yesterday to let him know I am going to carry on with this. Give him time. I am sure it will get moved. Thanks again cairnswk.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas