Conquer Club

4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Battle for Cow Island [Feb 14] page 18

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 am

The farm map and the butcher idea weren't bad...i have nothing against them if dana is fine with one of them. The only idea i really don't like is just the shape of a cow on a piece of paper without any background /story around it....
What i suggest now is that if the majority of people think that the cow island (with the background story) sucks, to tell really loud to dana and don't ask him to waste time. But please don't consider the graphics, but the whole idea/gameplay.

Anyway, no reason to not revert back and move into a different direction. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby greenoaks on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:14 am

thenobodies80 wrote:The farm map and the butcher idea weren't bad...i have nothing against them if dana is fine with one of them. The only idea i really don't like is just the shape of a cow on a piece of paper without any background /story around it....
What i suggest now is that if the majority of people think that the cow island (with the background story) sucks, to tell really loud to dana and don't ask him to waste time. But please don't consider the graphics, but the whole idea/gameplay.

Anyway, no reason to not revert back and move into a different direction. ;)

BATTLE FOR COW ISLAND IS SOMETHING I'D EXPECT FROM SOME OF THOSE OTHER SITES.

was that loud enough?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby dana1971 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:13 am

What other sites? Are there more cc style sites?
Captain dana1971

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 am

I think the cow island idea is better than just a map of a cow, but like said, it has to be executed well - it can't be just the same cow map disguised as an island, it needs to have the thematic elements well represented by the gameplay and graphics.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 am

Maybe you could make it look slightly more like a butchers chart to give it some context?

Colonel ManBungalow

Postby greenoaks on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:55 am

dana1971 wrote:What other sites? Are there more cc style sites?

yes there are, and they except anything.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby RjBeals on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 am

greenoaks wrote:
dana1971 wrote:What other sites? Are there more cc style sites?

yes there are, and they except anything.

not all of them. :)
Private RjBeals

Re: Prime Beef [Jan 25] page 12

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 am

Gillipig wrote:Instead of making a "cow island" which I think sounds like a ridiculous idea and completely misses the point of making a map about a cow, one could make a theme of vampire bats assaulting the cow and the goal is to eat/conquer the cow. Bats could be starting positions located on different parts of the cow and the cow could remain relatively much as it looks now.
All of a sudden you have a theme and a reason for the cow to be portrayed. It's the setting of a war, a war amongst bats. No different from Poland being portrayed in a world war themed map.

Dana if you try making a cow island, I think you should consider my idea! Making a cow island is much sillier than just a cow on a piece of paper without back story! Keep the cow with all the meat on and make a back story of vampire bats attacking it! (vampire bats feed mostly on cows so it's a natural setting)
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 am

Gillipig wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Instead of making a "cow island" which I think sounds like a ridiculous idea and completely misses the point of making a map about a cow, one could make a theme of vampire bats assaulting the cow and the goal is to eat/conquer the cow. Bats could be starting positions located on different parts of the cow and the cow could remain relatively much as it looks now.
All of a sudden you have a theme and a reason for the cow to be portrayed. It's the setting of a war, a war amongst bats. No different from Poland being portrayed in a world war themed map.

Dana if you try making a cow island, I think you should consider my idea! Making a cow island is much sillier than just a cow on a piece of paper without back story! Keep the cow with all the meat on and make a back story of vampire bats attacking it! (vampire bats feed mostly on cows so it's a natural setting)

Vampire bats don't cut cows into beef cuts...

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 am

natty dread wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

He could rename the sections to different blood sucking sections. Blood supply 1, blood supply 2, blood supply 3 etc. Change the names to fit how a cow looks from a bats perspective instead of a human.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:37 am

as long as the map is just the image of a cow i think the idea is bad. i don't car if it's drawn like a butcher's chart, like a realistic looking island or like an alien mother ship shaped like a cow. no matter how you draw it it will still be a cow and that's basically the issue.
the main problem i (and others) have with this map is that is based on an arbitrary ordinary generic thing like a cow (a piano, a keyboard, a pig, brain, etc). so no matter how you disguise it, it will be the generic thing we hated in the first place and it will open the path for all other generic things that were tried and abandoned over the years.

i'll say this again, you have obvious drawing skills, use them for a proper map idea not for a cow map.
here's one great idea for a map
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby dana1971 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:50 pm

DiM wrote:as long as the map is just the image of a cow i think the idea is bad.
the main problem i (and others) have with this map is that is based on an arbitrary ordinary generic thing like a cow (a piano, a keyboard, a pig, brain, etc). so no matter how you disguise it, it will be the generic thing we hated in the first place and it will open the path for all other generic things that were tried and abandoned over the years.

I find it funny that you make this comment DIM. After all you made a map based on an "ordinary generic thing". A quilt. Your map is great because it looks different and for some reason you can't see that I'm trying to accomplish the same thing. Why is a quilt more acceptable than a cow shaped Island?

I have no interest in making another arbitrary ordinary generic map based on geography, that will get lost in the sea of CC world maps. I want to make something that stands out even as a thumbnail image to attract people to it.

Strange that you use the word generic when referring to my map, because on this site it is anything but generic. The word means "referring to a whole group; general ".
In this case I would say that the world maps have become common place and generic on this site, while maps like Patch Wars I would consider original and anything but generic, because it breaks away from the norm.

In the end I want to make this map in some shape or form, so for the moment I'm going to listen to the advice given by the people who can help me get it published and do my best to make a map they approve of.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby dana1971 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Gillipig wrote:He could rename the sections to different blood sucking sections. Blood supply 1, blood supply 2, blood supply 3 etc. Change the names to fit how a cow looks from a bats perspective instead of a human.

Thanks for the suggestion Gillipig, but I don't think the powers at be would not be happy with the addition of bats. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If I want to keep the general shape of the cow, then I still think my best chance is to make it into an island.
(I know it sounds silly, but I need to make compromises, or it's just not going to happen.

If you come up with any other ideas do let me know. Or if you can convince everyone that there is simply nothing wrong with playing on a well crafted map of a cow that would be great too.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby dana1971 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

DiM wrote:
perchorin wrote:
natty dread wrote:
perchorin wrote:What the hell is that stupid Christmas map

That is a map that didn't go through the foundry process. The way I see it, it's not a "real" CC map.

But presumably the people who are saying "cow" is unacceptable are the same people who approved/made "christmas" correct? Why the double standard?

funny you should say that. fact is the same people that are objecting to this map being made are also constantly protesting towards secretly made maps (like the christmas map) ;)

So who approved the Christmas map? Maybe I should go through them instead of the foundry :D
Captain dana1971

Postby perchorin on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm

dana1971 wrote:
DiM wrote:
perchorin wrote:
natty dread wrote:
perchorin wrote:What the hell is that stupid Christmas map

That is a map that didn't go through the foundry process. The way I see it, it's not a "real" CC map.

But presumably the people who are saying "cow" is unacceptable are the same people who approved/made "christmas" correct? Why the double standard?

funny you should say that. fact is the same people that are objecting to this map being made are also constantly protesting towards secretly made maps (like the christmas map) ;)

So who approved the Christmas map? Maybe I should go through them instead of the foundry :D

People higher up the foodchain than the mods commenting here, that's who.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 am

perchorin wrote:People higher up the foodchain than the mods commenting here, that's who.

Stop talking about things you don't know anything about, please.

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 am

dana1971 wrote:So who approved the Christmas map? Maybe I should go through them instead of the foundry :D

All maps must go through the foundry. The only exception is "seasonal" maps, which are not made for regular year-round gameplay but instead are only available for a limited time. Those are made usually by the Entertainment Team, and they at least used to be done with the supervision of the cartographers.

The bottom line is, if you want to make a map that goes into the regular, always-playable list of maps, you need to go through the foundry, there is no alternative.

Postby lostatlimbo on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 am

Gillipig wrote:
natty dread wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

He could rename the sections to different blood sucking sections. Blood supply 1, blood supply 2, blood supply 3 etc. Change the names to fit how a cow looks from a bats perspective instead of a human.

Wow... I didn't think this idea could get any worse, but then you took it there.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Gillipig on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 am

lostatlimbo wrote:Wow... I didn't think this idea could get any worse, but then you took it there.

Pff....You're just jealous :)!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby perchorin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 am

natty dread wrote:
perchorin wrote:People higher up the foodchain than the mods commenting here, that's who.

Stop talking about things you don't know anything about, please.

And who gave these shadowy figures their authority? Try using common sense for a change eh?
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 am

perchorin wrote:And who gave these shadowy figures their authority? Try using common sense for a change eh?

Yes, you're right. I'm not using common sense. Please enlighten us all about your vast knowledge about the inner workings of CC.

Postby The Bison King on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am

What?! Why is this an island now?

This is what always happens to this idea. Either you like the cow map or you don't, it is what it is. The solution is NOT trying to appease the people who can't stand looking at a cow by making it an island or adding in vampire bats, butcher knives, or any other needless theme that is awkwardly inserted to please the people who aren't going to play the map any way.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 am

Ok, now I'm tired. In the last 10 pages I've read everything except something constructive. There's more brain in the few PMs between me and Dana than in what I have to read here al time.
I'm aware that some people like the cow map as a cow map and nothing else.
I'm aware that some people don't like the cow map as just a cow map.

Now, since this thread is going nowhere from a constructive point of view but it's just a list of post in which the people is discussing about everything except about the map itself, or it's just people complaining about having or not havgin this map, I'm going to temporary lock it and talk seriously with dana about this map project. Luckily dana is a good person and I can have a civil and kindly discussion with him.

I'll unlock this thread again in the next future.
Now to everyone, feel free to start to complain without knowing what I'm really doing. At least it won't be on a map thread that should be used just to discuss about the map production and not about other map projects or personal taste decisions or again about the evil foundry foreman.

Dana you'll receive a PM from me asap.

Temporary [Locked]

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Prime Beef: [Oct 29] V03-Page 4- Map Name

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:04 am

natty dread wrote:THIS MAP IS OFFENSIVE TO VEGANS!

False.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 am

Dana keep on going! You will make it.

BTW I like either of the 2. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas