Conquer Club

4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: How about a COW map?

Postby dana1971 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Nice idea but I feel drawing a line from the mouth to the grass would look odd, and possibly confusing.
Captain dana1971

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I think in general, I like the idea of the map. I think it'd be fun and humorous.

It might be even more humorous if it was pseudo-scientific/consumer oriented looking, like:

show

Best of luck!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby dana1971 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks Andy, Those are the kind of images I've been looking at, and decided it would be good to go with something graphic so that everything is clear, and added more regions because I'd like the map to have several tactical options.

I like those images you posted.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby JBlombier on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 pm

This is an awesome map idea. I'm not very good at giving you insightful feedback, but I really like this map aready.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby greenoaks on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm

dana1971 wrote:Nice idea but I feel drawing a line from the mouth to the grass would look odd, and possibly confusing.

there is no need to add a line. put something in the legend that mouth regions may attack the grass.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby dana1971 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 pm

That could work, and would be a nice way for someone to expand from the head. Would it be a one way system?

Saying all that this is my first map and I'd like to keep it simple to start with.

Here's an update on the map with spelling corrected, spaces made for army numbers and lower neutrals.

I had to take out one region in the rump to make room for the text so there are now 66 regions.

Seriously who do I talk to about getting a stamp so I can move to the next stage or find out what I need to do to get it to the next stage?

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 am

You will need to apply for a supersize stamp. Looks nice. Also your boarder lines will need to be totally redone, so they are uniform and even.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby dana1971 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:26 am

Why do they need to be even? Is it a programing thing, or a design thing?
Captain dana1971

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 am

thickness wise. They look like you drew them fast. Per say Between T Bone and Porter House is thicker than between crown and cheek.

It is a foundry thing you will run up on. Only pure images can come out. No room for minor errors such as that.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby dana1971 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 am

OK no problem, I can do that. Is there a special procedure for officially requesting a super size map sticker?

Thanks for the help by the way.
Captain dana1971

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:20 am

Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 am

One more thing.. I just ran this map image through a color blind test. With that said, Tenderloin will need to be changed color wise. It looks too close to rump.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Flapcake on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:02 am

Very cool map, you could add a butchers axe over the head, if not part of the gameplay then for theme struff for filling out the emty space.

good work, I think your map deserve to be in the draft room as you seem to be besides the idea.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby White Moose on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:24 am

Release it already.

Official KORT map, here we come! :D

On a more serious note.

No one will ever take the neutrals for a +1 auto deploy.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Butters1919 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58 am

Love it!!!
Cook Butters1919

Postby zimmah on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:51 pm

dana1971 wrote:The reason I put the killer neutral of 15 in the grass is to stop people from being able to easily take both legs. That way the army that holds one leg will need to decide to I use 15 of my troops to break the neutral or go up into the rest of the body. If it was a low number you wouldn't think twice about going for the other leg and then whoever had them would probably build up fast while everyone else fights over the bigger bonuses in the body. For the game to be balanced I felt the leg bonuses needed to have a barrier that would be hard to cross at the start of the game when troop numbers are low.

I set it up that the front of the cow had the esier bonuses, while the middle had the bigger harder bonuses, with a few auto deploys stuck in there to help balance it.

I would imagine in a fog of war game it would be a tense game, because you wouldn't be sure how much was in the other leg, a bit like the killer neutrals in Das Schloss.

Another key spot would be the tail, however it only gives 1 bonus so although easy to hold with one choke point you wouldn't be getting a lot for it. The main benefit of the tail is that it leads to the 2+ autodeploy Cow Pat which can build up quietly without the hind hoof being able to see it. And if you only had the cow pat you would not know how big an army was waiting to drop on you from the tail.

In a fog of war game I think this could be a lot of fun.

Anyway, right or wrong that's my thinking.

Best Wishes,
Dana

right now the tail and back leg are fine, maybe even too strong, and the front leg is in bad shape.

15 or even 12 neutrals is a lot, especially if they kill as well. i understand what you're trying to do, gameplay-wise. but the numbers are wrong.

15 troops is a big deal, even lategame, even if you hold the 2 biggest continents, you'll waste your entire income for a whole turn, just to kill those neutrals, while it would be potentially enough troops to kill or hurt an enemy. 15 troops is even more then a mixed set and a red set combined!

also, you can still take the tail and the back leg, or just the tail and the pat, and you can endlessly stack the autodeploy while you only need to hold 1 choke, and that only made you fight 6 neutrals. (6 neutrals on a +2, that's about right, it takes 3 turns to pay off, so it's considered an investment, you'll have to take a little risk to gain a high reward, if you can keep it for 3 turns or more, you are reaping the benefits of the risk).

but let's say someone has the tail and the back leg, and another one has the front leg. noone will ever attack each other though those neutrals. because even if one person has 30 armies, and the other has 10 armies, it's hardly worth the investment to break through 15 neutrals to break a +2 bonus. and besides, you can just take the longer route and kill some players. using your troops to kill players is much more worthwhile than killing neutrals.

lord of the flies seems to be quite useless as is. why would anyone kill 3 neutrals to get some territory that does not give a bonus, is not part of any bonus, and doesn't border anything special?

and 4 and especially 5 neutrals for a +1 autodeploy is also too high. 4 neutrals is maybe possible, but 5 is way too high. 3 would be much better.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm

HMMM... I'm gonna say this belongs in the Drafting Room with its drafy and all.

MOVED
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Beckytheblondie on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

This is awesome even if I have to deal with the KoRT's, pun intended, bull***t.
2011-11-07 14:19:43 - StinknLincoln: whoa, what happened?
2011-11-07 14:19:50 - Beckytheblondie: Becky happened
Captain Beckytheblondie

Postby dana1971 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for the constructive feedback zimmah. Having someone say the neutrals are to high is not really enough to make me change my mind, but you explained yourself well, and gave me a number you thought would be better. Now that's helpful.

I'll lower the auto deploy regions to 3, and the grass to 8.

I'll also allow the lord of the flies to bombard the cow pat, so in a fog of war game it will allow the lord of the flies to see what's going on in the pat.

I've thought about it and I'm considering another idea from greenoaks who suggest the Tongue (Mouth) should be able to attack the grass. This would allow back doors into most of small bonuses accept the tail. If the tongue can attack the grass I would most likely make it a two way thing, so if you take the grass you can go to either of the legs or the tongue.

I plan to post a new version tomorrow in the drafting room, and apply for a super size sticker tomorrow.

I'd be interested to know what people think about the added tongue and fly options?

Good or bad?

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby rmt333 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 pm

great looking map! would love to play a round of that one! great idea!
Cook rmt333

Cow Map

Postby dana1971 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Map Name: Cow
Mapmaker(s): Dana1971
Number of Territories: 66
Special Features: A one way system to an auto deploying cow pat, and a grass patch that grows killer neutrals.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: It's a theme that I hope will open the door to more dissection themed maps. You could pretty much make a map from anything from the seeds of a strawberry to the human skeleton.

I am also applying for a super size map sticker.

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

To Do List
Add numbers to make sure it all fits, and listen to any feedback.

Thing to discuss
One game play element I'm considering is should players be able to access the grass from the tongue as well as the hoofs or does that make it to confusing?
Is the balance of neutrals correct?
Last edited by dana1971 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain dana1971

Postby dana1971 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Ahhh This topic has moved into the drafting folder from the melting pot folder. So now I seem to have two topics in the drafting folder when I only want one.

I could combine them, but maybe that's confusing? If I delete this one will the one in the melting pot also be deleted?

I'm not that used to forums so any help would be great. I don't want to piss anyone off with my ignorance.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Re: Cow Map

Postby rmt333 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:23 pm

like i said in your other thread I love this map...hope to play it some day

one question...why would cow patty be auto deploy 2?
Cook rmt333

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:47 am

A moderator will merge your threads. You can't delete threads once someone else has posted in them.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Cow Map

Postby dana1971 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 am

The cow Pat isn't a part of the cow so it needed to be separate, and I made it auto deploy because I thought it would add an interesting element to the game. Because it's on the side, out of the way, and hard to access I thought it may be a good place for someone to quietly build up and eventually spread to the feet and take over. That's how Mad Cow disease got started in the UK I think.
Captain dana1971

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas