Eurasia [Map Pack]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Eurasia Mini [2.2.12] p2

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Bleed_Green wrote:This is the first map that I have ever commented on. I like the small game play and having the small bonuses having 3 to 4 attack points.. it will give a different strategy to the game vs something some other maps bonuses only have a single choke point to defend

Glad you like it! If you also like large maps, you might want to check out the main Eurasia map as well, which is in the main foundry.

Currently it looks like both maps are likely to be made, but the larger Eurasia map will probably be playable first.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Fixed borders.

Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Glad to see this version is still going. I was worried someone would squash it for being too similar.
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 pm

From a playing on a phone standpoint, this map would be great.

I do like the idea and the theme.

Someone already commented on the East India legibility issue. I'm seeing some of the same with Mediterranean. It goes from dark to lighter in the background a lot there. Makes it difficult to see.

Also, the map title doesn't seem to fit the the map, IMO.

I'm not sure about what the person who mentioned oversaturation was talking about. I like the colors, I like the color density around the continental borders. The longitudinal lines in the background are a good touch.

The sea route from Far East to Philippines...should it be coming from Japan instead of Korea? It wouldn't have to be as "stretched." Not sure which of those options I would like better.

Overall, I like it. 27 territories is a good number for a small map.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 am

chapcrap wrote:Also, the map title doesn't seem to fit the the map, IMO.

How do you mean?

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 am

The title's two different fonts don't match each other or the fonts on the map.

I would try to make the title similar to what you have done with the continent bonuses.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:32 am

Well I can't see how that could be, seeing as the title has only one font, which is the same font as on the legend. :-s

All the other stuff you said I'll look into though.

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:04 pm

natty dread wrote:Well I can't see how that could be, seeing as the title has only one font, which is the same font as on the legend. :-s

All the other stuff you said I'll look into though.

Well then it's stylized in two different ways. You can't try and tell me that Eurasia and Mini look the same. I don't think it looks great like that.

I think part of might be the way that Eurasia is curved as well. The map is curved in the opposite way of the word Eurasia.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm

chapcrap wrote:Well then it's stylized in two different ways.

Yes, and there's a thematic reason for it. This is the Mini -version of the actual Eurasia map. It's a common thing for designers of product packaging, when there are multiple versions of a product, to print the "version modifier" in a different style, or even a different font. Think of regular beer and light beer, for example. You have one can that says "Beer" and another can that says "Beer Light".

As for the main title, the Eurasia part, it's in the same style as on the original map. A decision was made that this map should be made in the same graphical style as the original map, because otherwise it wouldn't be a Mini-version, but an entirely different map...

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Well, I think it would look better if the title curved with the globe/map.

And I haven't looked at the big version enough to know, but it is the same as this, I would have the same comment there.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, I disagree.

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

natty dread wrote:Well, I disagree.

Well, I went and looked at the big Eurasia and it is better there. It's barely curved. Only turned down at the edges and the key information underneath the title prevents it from being curved the other way anyway. Now that I look at this one more, it isn't quite as curved as I originally thought and I think it's ok. I retract my earlier statement about the curve. I think I have more of a problem with the Mini part and the slant of it being so contrary to everything else. Can you make it the same size as the Eurasia portion of the title and not slanted?
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Well, first of all, it's not slanted - it's italicized. I kind of think it should be in italic, as it's a modifier to the original title, refering again to my earlier light beer example...

However, I think I have a solution in mind for this.

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 am

I know it's italicized. You know what that does? It slants the letters. So it is slanted.

What's your solution?
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:06 am

chapcrap wrote:I know it's italicized. You know what that does? It slants the letters. So it is slanted.

Well, as long as we're nitpicking - it doesn't slant them, it shears them. ;)

As for my solution you'll just have to wait and see.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas