Conquer Club

Magyarország [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Magyarország [Quenched]

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 am

Image :D Image :D Image :D Image :D Image :D Image :D

Map Name:Magyarország
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973 nolefan5311
Number of Territories:52
Special Features:Counrty of neutrals surrounded by lots of battle grounds.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:Will leave that up to the public to decide. 8-[
I know thenobodies has this region locked down (love it by the way) but as it is my adoptive country, I feel we can squeeze another in there. ;)

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

show: maps with 888s

show: gameplay notes

show: Previous drafts.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Treaty of Trianon [16/4] pg 1.

Postby Flapcake on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 am

It looks fun, nice idea to. rigth now I dont have any thig to add, maby later on, but Il give it all my support :D
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 am

Flapcake wrote:It looks fun, nice idea to. rigth now I dont have any thig to add, maby later on, but Il give it all my support :D

Wait a week, start a new draft from scratch. Same sort of look but will be different.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 pm

I like the idea, especially with the bonus multiplying with the occupation of Hungary. Obviously you'll need to distinguish the continents a little better, but its in the early stages. The map, in a historical context, represents one of the most egregious, and unrecognized, repercussions of WWI. Definitely think it should be represented on the site. Nice job koontz, hope you follow it to fruition.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: Unification [16/4] Version 2 pg 1.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Completely redrawn the image as old file was lost. :cry:

Click image to enlarge.

To do list.
Legend
Story and title font needs to be changed.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Unification [22/4] Version 2 pg 1.

Postby Flapcake on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:32 am

Very nice.

Things I like, color set (the contrast between golden title font and the dirt-colors,) mountains, rivers, the red borderline, the dots for inner borders.

Are you doin a illustration for lost land bonuses ? maby is just me but im not sure where to find poland, austria ect.

Much better than your first draft :-P
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 am

Flapcake wrote:Very nice.

Things I like, color set (the contrast between golden title font and the dirt-colors,) mountains, rivers, the red borderline, the dots for inner borders.

Are you doin a illustration for lost land bonuses ? maby is just me but im not sure where to find poland, austria ect.

Much better than your first draft :-P

I seem to have just enough space to do that. Was not going to but will add next draft.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 am

why I have feeling that this map has a little fascist hue.

there was no "mighty Hungarian nation". in Hungarian Empire (Austrian-Hungarian) lived several nations (Hungars, Slovaks, Croats and so on), so Hungarian nation was not broke. what was broke was Hungarian Empire.

the part of Trencsen and Arva which you have on map were never Polish.

also one time you used Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and second time Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia in 1920 was not exist.

Czechoslovakia or Czechoslovak (not Czechoslovakia) Republic?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:31 am

Oneyed, no fascist hue here at all. You are right, some of the names are wrong and need to correct them next draft, even had to merge a few of the territs for the sake of space. :x Just waiting on a teacher from my school to give me the correct ones. These are placements for now. Trencsen and Arva where the two names that I picked up on from the current map I have - again will be changed when the correct ones are found. Do you know them?

Will remove the yugo name - missed it when swapping it over to the new one.

there was no "mighty Hungarian nation"

This is false, Hungary as a nation has been around for many centuries and was once mighty.

This is the image I worked from. It is the two right at the top centre that I have called Trencsen and Arva which went to Poland. From a historical point of view, they may not of been significant, but for a game play side of things, they need to be kept for bonus balance.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Unification [22/4] Version 3 pg 1.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 am

New Polish names.
Yugoslavia taken out completely.
Added bonus icons.
Removed Mighty Hungary from the back story.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 am

koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, no fascist hue here at all.

realy?
koontz1973 wrote:
there was no "mighty Hungarian nation"

This is false, Hungary as a nation has been around for many centuries and was once mighty.

did you read my all notice? I wrote this - there was no "mighty Hungarian nation" - in coherence what was broken, not Hungarian nation just Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
koontz1973 wrote:This is the image I worked from. It is the two right at the top centre that I have called Trencsen and Arva which went to Poland. From a historical point of view, they may not of been significant, but for a game play side of things, they need to be kept for bonus balance.

the left top is Polish Orawa (Orava in Slovak) and the right top is Polish Spisz (Spiš in Slovak).

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 am

koontz1973 wrote:Removed Mighty Hungary from the back story.

Mighty Hungary is fine. what is not correct is that Hungarian nation was broken. it was Hungarian Empire what was broken, Hungarians was only one of nations in Hungarian Empire.
so you can write: ...Mighty Hungarian Empire was broken...

to the map and names - where you have Orawa now is nothing Polish. you can do Turoc larger and add this part to Turoc. Orawa is where you have Spisz now. Spisz could be at the west-norht part of Szepes. Szepes, Spiš and Spisz is the same.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 am

Used Spisz and Drawa as these where given in the 1920 agreement of councils. Not Trianon but close enough. GP has to win at this point. And no I did not read all of the notice - my bad - wife looking over my shoulder bending my ear about lunch. And yes, absolutely no fascism here what so ever. Hungary toyed with Fascism afterwards but never went that way; much. Fascism in Hungary came around a lot later. The reason for this map came about when our former idiot and current idiot for a PM wanted to give all non national Hungarians, Hungarian passports, thinking this would be a good way to get votes.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 am

Oneyed, give us a chance to post a reply, not that fast.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 am

Oneyed wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Removed Mighty Hungary from the back story.

Mighty Hungary is fine. what is not correct is that Hungarian nation was broken. it was Hungarian Empire what was broken, Hungarians was only one of nations in Hungarian Empire.
so you can write: ...Mighty Hungarian Empire was broken...

to the map and names - where you have Orawa now is nothing Polish. you can do Turoc larger and add this part to Turoc. Orawa is where you have Spisz now. Spisz could be at the west-norht part of Szepes. Szepes, Spiš and Spisz is the same.

Oneyed

Will look at the names and areas.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:00 am

unifercation?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 am

DiM wrote:unifercation?

Thanks DiM. :oops:

Same as what happened with Rorke's Drift but at least someone caught it early. Will change it today along with the names.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 am

koontz1973 wrote:Hungary toyed with Fascism afterwards but never went that way; much. Fascism in Hungary came around a lot later.

I did not say that Hungarian Empire was fascist. just idea about instauration of it has fascist hue ;)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 am

Just the word fascist around here can get a map binned, :P , lets try to stick to the current era please. ;)

Next draft here.
Changed the 2 spelling mistakes for the title and polish territ.
Added in some forests as mountains look bland on there own.
Fixed some issues with the legend.

Oneyed, I am going to leave the 2 polish territs where they are. As this is your region, can you give me names for any part of that region that you would be happy with. I have merged some of the counties for size and GP reasons. Did not really want another Romania or split it up like Hungary.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Unification [22/4] Version 4 pg 2.

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 am

I was wondering when you were going to make a Hungary map koontz. Guess now is the answer :)!
May I suggest changing the title to "Unification Hungary - Treaty of Trianon" to make it easier to understand what the map is about.

I''m far from history unknowledgable and I didn't know what Treaty of Trianon was about or what country Trianon lies in, so i can imagine most players won't.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 am

Can I suggest a little more contract in the greens and browns for us colorblind folks? The "minimap" bonus explanations do help quite a bit, but it still throws me off a little. Have you thought about making it similar to the Unification Germany and Italy maps? I'm sure Industrial Helix would give you permission to use the design, and it seems the bonus structures in those maps are similar to what you're trying to do here.

Also, the paragraph on the left needs a little work. Might I suggest something like this...

"Post WWI Europe lay in ruin. As a result of the Treaty of Trianon, the Hungarian Empire is reduced to 28% of its pre-war size. Unify Hungary once more." Something like that provides a little more information on exactly what happened (as Gillipig indicated in his post, this isn't a particularly well known outcome of WWI). Just a suggestion :)
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am

Sent IH a quick PM about the title and colours. If he agrees, then will go this way to a certain point. No point trying to copy him completely as they are his maps and this is mine. But I like the ideas guys, please keep them coming.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Unification [27/4] Version 5 pg 2.

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 am

Click image to enlarge.

A lighter tone. :D

TO do list.
Names still need to be checked but most if not all are correct. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 am

koontz1973 wrote:Sent IH a quick PM about the title and colours. If he agrees, then will go this way to a certain point. No point trying to copy him completely as they are his maps and this is mine. But I like the ideas guys, please keep them coming.

Any news from Industrial?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 am

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Sent IH a quick PM about the title and colours. If he agrees, then will go this way to a certain point. No point trying to copy him completely as they are his maps and this is mine. But I like the ideas guys, please keep them coming.

Any news from Industrial?

He said yes to it, but when it came to drawing it, I sort of went of on a tangent which did not work, started again and tried to copy his design a lot more. In the end, I just could not bring myself with enthusiasm to get it done. ;) As I said, they are his maps and for the life of me, trying to copy someone's work does not inspire me to do good work. :-s Just look at the 4 maps further advanced than this one. Not one is a copy and all are different. :D The final map may not end up like this, it may take a lot of time before some thing strikes me as genius (only Rorke's Drift stayed the same throughout), but till that time, I will plod on with this as is as I am happy with it so far. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to The Atlas