Conquer Club

Magyarország [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Magyarország [15/6] PG 1/8

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 am

it seems that you still use "displacing" for ethnic Hungars which lived outside Hungary. but again, this is out of reality. they were not displacing.
your story with displacing sounds as enormia for Hungars, but it is paradox that many of these Hungars were sent there for magyarization minor nations in Hungarian Empire.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 am

This seems a silly thing to argue over. What about this:

"After the Great War, Europe lies in ruins. As a result of the Treaty of Trianon, the Kingdom of Hungary is reduced to 28% of it's pre-war size. More than 3 million ethnic Hungarians awake to find themselves citizens of a new country. Unite them once again."

It's not particularly eloquent but, as far as I can tell, it's neutral as far as offending anybody.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 am

nolefan5311 wrote:This seems a silly thing to argue over. What about this:

"After the Great War, Europe lies in ruins. As a result of the Treaty of Trianon, the Kingdom of Hungary is reduced to 28% of it's pre-war size. More than 3 million ethnic Hungarians awake to find themselves citizens of a new country. Unite them once again."

It's not particularly eloquent but, as far as I can tell, it's neutral as far as offending anybody.

I like it. Neutral, fits the space and should not piss anyone off. If everyone else (tokle and oneyed) agreed, it will go on today.

And nothing is silly. Took a battering over RD with some wording.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 am

I do not see any "nation" or "people" on the map. so why is so needed to mention any ethnic? on the map, players will fight for land (regions), so why not only use something as "unite lost countries again" or "win lost land back"...?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:41 am

Oneyed wrote:I do not see any "nation" or "people" on the map. so why is so needed to mention any ethnic? on the map, players will fight for land (regions), so why not only use something as "unite lost countries again" or "win lost land back"...?

Oneyed

Because it sounds like a disney film. All this is now is bloody semantics, I am never going to please everyone with this so went with noles suggested wording. Just added the dates in to fill the space better. As for the comment about no nations, 6 are on the map, and wars are fought by people. In this sense it was lots of little ones that took land from the Kingdom of Hungary, and which was ratified in the treaty. All the map does is place you in one position.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [19/6] PG 1/9

Postby tokle on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 pm

It's fair enough as a compromise I suppose.
I agree with Oneyed about leaving out mentioning the ethnic Hungarians.
The lands in question obviously have a lot larger population than those 3 million, so proposing to re-unite the old kingdom for the sake of that minority is quite preposterous.
However if the game is just to reunite the kingdom then that takes out of it the emotinioal and sensitive parts.
Major tokle

Re: Magyarország [20/6] PG 1/9

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 am

Added nole for xml
Colour blind very friendly now. (Tests in first post). :D
Show layers that got turned of yesterday. :roll:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 am

The white text in the story line especially on the flag is a tad hard to read. Also the text that is above the legend - not the names of the countries - is a tad hard to read.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:17 am

Do you mean the Hungarian text?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tokle on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:39 pm

You could try to consider to cut off the flag half-way across the map. And maybe leave the north-western corner all red. Fill in that part all the way to the sea in one solid colour. Just an idea.
Major tokle

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:15 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Do you mean the Hungarian text?

That's what it is? I could read it because of those gaseous vapors coming from your avatar made my eyes water! :lol:

But yes, that text.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 am

tokle wrote:You could try to consider to cut off the flag half-way across the map. And maybe leave the north-western corner all red. Fill in that part all the way to the sea in one solid colour. Just an idea.

Have tried this in a previous version. Did not look good. It needs to be at a slant or it looks odd just stopping dead in the middle and then with the slant (at the correct angle), you lose the crest under Romania.
isaiah40 wrote:But yes, that text.

Looks better, no?

Placed offending Hungarian text into a box.
English text is now a light grey and sharper. Looks OK to me but the I am not as
fussy as you lot. ;)
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

isaiah40 wrote:That's what it is? I could read it because of those gaseous vapors coming from your avatar made my eyes water! :lol:

That is a problem that I do not like to talk about. :oops:
But the doctor said it should get better soon. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [21/6] PG 1/10

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

It's absolutely beautiful!

One remaining problem: the colours of the bonus regions on the main map aren't the same as in the mini-map. This could be confusing.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am

Dukasaur wrote:It's absolutely beautiful!

One remaining problem: the colours of the bonus regions on the main map aren't the same as in the mini-map. This could be confusing.

Mmhm, I think I'll echo Dukasaur.

In terms of graphics, I think this is probably the map I like the most out of your work.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah, when the changes were made I don't they were applied to the mini map. And I agree with Andy. While 1982 looks really cool, this map is beautiful.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Jatekos on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:41 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Looks better, no?

Placed offending Hungarian text into a box.
English text is now a light grey and sharper. Looks OK to me but the I am not as
fussy as you lot. ;)

I wouldn't say so.

It is kind of OK, but it was much better in the previous version. The historical background on the left is not the the part that someone would have to re-read each round, unlike the bonus info for example. The white text was readable in the previous version as well, though it was not this bright. It was much better to look at the text then than it is now.
I had absolutely no problem reading the previous version of the Hungarian text either. It suited to the map a lot more.
Also, if these texts were legible for a colorblind person then they should not be too difficult to read for anyone with a normal eye-sight. I would like both of these changes to be reversed.

Suggestion regarding the text boxes: The country has a unique shape, which is not symmetrical. A non-symmetrical legend would more suite to the map than the current boxes. How about adding a map-effect to the text boxes like on the First Nations maps or on the Age of merchants map. The point is, that they should not necessarily have so sharp and straight edges.

This is not the
Major Jatekos

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 am

Dukasaur wrote:It's absolutely beautiful!

Fixed for both the text mini map and the map images in the bonus areas.
AndyDufresne wrote:In terms of graphics, I think this is probably the map I like the most out of your work.

--Andy

High praise indeed. But, yes, I am getting better with each map.
Jatekos wrote:It is kind of OK, but it was much better in the previous version. The historical background on the left is not the the part that someone would have to re-read each round, unlike the bonus info for example. The white text was readable in the previous version as well, though it was not this bright. It was much better to look at the text then than it is now.
I had absolutely no problem reading the previous version of the Hungarian text either. It suited to the map a lot more.
Also, if these texts were legible for a colorblind person then they should not be too difficult to read for anyone with a normal eye-sight. I would like both of these changes to be reversed.

You are right, about the text. Made it slightly darker to stop it standing out so much and have made the Hungarian text the same. It might be hard to read to some but it is not important for them to read more than once. Also, as they are now the same but different from everything else, non Hungarian speakers will not be asking what it is. :roll:
Jatekos wrote:Suggestion regarding the text boxes: The country has a unique shape, which is not symmetrical. A non-symmetrical legend would more suite to the map than the current boxes. How about adding a map-effect to the text boxes like on the First Nations maps or on the Age of merchants map. The point is, that they should not necessarily have so sharp and straight edges.

I looked at them. Age of merchants has a flat line legend and First nations, I have no room for that type. I like the effect now and will keep it.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [22/6] PG 1/10

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 am

Text looks better on your current version. Now don't forget about making sure the colors match on the break-out mini-map in the legend!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 am

isaiah40 wrote:Text looks better on your current version. Now don't forget about making sure the colors match on the break-out mini-map in the legend!

Done, updated the previous post and first post with the new small map image. The text mini map is correct and the shattered land one is correct now for both sizes.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 pm

koontz1973...a couple of nit-picks for you...pleasant ones ;)
1. it is possoble to pull the bottom of the story text up slightly or move Karolyvaros so that one is not sitting almost atop the other
2. can you tweak the glow around Arva and Szepes...they are hardly readable
3. in your signature...map is sitting slightly out of horizontal alignment with koontz...
4. although not affecting gameplay, i really had think what that is where Austria sits
5. can the Kingdom of Serbs etec...be strung out in one line so it doesn't sit so close to the Hungarian story...perhaps to a similar concave degree that Adriatic Sea is
nice work though...very koontz in style... :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 am

cairnswk wrote:koontz1973...a couple of nit-picks for you...pleasant ones ;)
1. it is possoble to pull the bottom of the story text up slightly or move Karolyvaros so that one is not sitting almost atop the other

Done.
2. can you tweak the glow around Arva and Szepes...they are hardly readable

Made slightly brighter.
3. in your signature...map is sitting slightly out of horizontal alignment with koontz...

Done
4. although not affecting gameplay, i really had think what that is where Austria sits

Done for all.
5. can the Kingdom of Serbs etec...be strung out in one line so it doesn't sit so close to the Hungarian story...perhaps to a similar concave degree that Adriatic Sea is

Done
nice work though...very koontz in style... :)

What is koontz style :?:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [25/6] PG 1/10

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 am

^^ well done...nice work. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Couple things from me.

The laurel wreath is kinda generic, no? Could you go with something a little more... Hungarian there? A shield or the cross of the coat of arms to represent Budapest perhaps?

The green beneath the mountains is ok, but I feel like it could blend into the colors of the bonuses they are in better, so that they are a part of the area rather than on top of the map itself.

The vischeck... with so many shades of red/green/brown, it comes off okay... its needs to be better. I think you may have to work into the Central Hungary area some shades of blue to better differentiate better for those with color blindness. In theory a green/blue color will come up greyish-blue under vischeck and really give you what you seek for color blindness clarity.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Couple things from me.

The laurel wreath is kinda generic, no? Could you go with something a little more... Hungarian there? A shield or the cross of the coat of arms to represent Budapest perhaps?

Budapest shield put on. Did not use it up to now for a couple of reasons. Flag has a shield on it and did not want to overdo them, with the 88s on, you lose the detail and lastly, with nobodies map already using shields, wanted to keep this as far away from his style as possible.
The green beneath the mountains is ok, but I feel like it could blend into the colors of the bonuses they are in better, so that they are a part of the area rather than on top of the map itself.

Tweaked, not a lot but some.
The vischeck... with so many shades of red/green/brown, it comes off okay... its needs to be better. I think you may have to work into the Central Hungary area some shades of blue to better differentiate better for those with color blindness. In theory a green/blue color will come up greyish-blue under vischeck and really give you what you seek for color blindness clarity.

New colour for Serbs, Slovenes and Croats seems to of solved the problem as it is that corner and Dunantul that is the only close one.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

CB test
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [26/6] PG 1/10

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Lets see some numbers on the map. Make sure there isn't color conflicts.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas