Conquer Club

CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [27.11.12] V19-P11 GFX

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am

cairnswk wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:cairns, I only have one thing that I might change and this would be completely up to you as it really is aesthetics would be the gold circle in the middle. Could you make it the same thickness as the lettering in the title?

What is your purpose with this please....there is a lot of work in doing this, as i will have to re-do the whole gold lot

With it being that thick, the connections from inner to outer suburbs are very small at Tverskoe and Krasnoselskoe so these might get missed. Making those two gaps larger alone would be nice. As for the thickness itself, the shiny gold in the middle of the matt suburbs is a little bright. Toning it down would not be the best idea as gold should be shiny but unlike the title, it detracts from the map itself, hence, reducing of the thickness.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [27.11.12] V19-P11 GFX

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 am

Are you going to put the names of the bonuses anywhere?

It's not a big issue, but if I were in a team game I might say "go for that green bonus over there, you know the one I mean".
Colonel ManBungalow

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [27.11.12] V19-P11 GFX

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 am

ManBungalow wrote:Are you going to put the names of the bonuses anywhere?

It's not a big issue, but if I were in a team game I might say "go for that green bonus over there, you know the one I mean".

Mmmm, guess that might be an idea...i'll have to see what i can do. thanks MB
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 am

Great looking map as always cairns, I really like the mosaic, which is pretty different but what I would expect from you. I have to agree with Koontz though, the inner gold ring is too thick, and a little distracting. Also, no offense, but with it being so big it looks a little cheesy and fake. Making it thinner will give you a little more room for the inner ring names, and god knows what magic you can do with an extra pixel or two. I also like the stars indicating the bonuses, and don't think naming them does much but take up more space. Team games can always use tert names as indicators, etc., but I'm sure you're creative juices are flowing already.

Keep up the great work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:18 am

cairns, what where you going to call the bonuses anyway? I have to agree with Seamus, using the territ names instead of bonus names seems to be the norm for me in team games anyway.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 am

koontz1973 wrote:cairns, what where you going to call the bonuses anyway? I have to agree with Seamus, using the territ names instead of bonus names seems to be the norm for me in team games anyway.

well some people also like or expect to see some continent names on maps also. you have it in Madrid, Seamus has it in "Ancient Israel" etc.etc.
so as i said i will think on what to do. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:50 am

cairnswk wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:cairns, what where you going to call the bonuses anyway? I have to agree with Seamus, using the territ names instead of bonus names seems to be the norm for me in team games anyway.

well some people also like or expect to see some continent names on maps also. you have it in Madrid, Seamus has it in "Ancient Israel" etc.etc.

The reason why I asked what you where going to call them is if you had the territ name for the bonus name as well, you could do the name on the map slightly different. Just an idea.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 am

koontz1973 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

The reason why I asked what you where going to call them is if you had the territ name for the bonus name as well, you could do the name on the map slightly different. Just an idea.

Yes i had thought of that, but i don't know about that since it doesn't exactly fit what Moscow is about...let me think on it more.
Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [1.12.12] V20-P13 GFX

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:14 am

Version 20 i've added the names of the districts.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 am

Seamus76 wrote:... I also like the stars indicating the bonuses, and don't think naming them does much but take up more space. Team games can always use tert names as indicators, etc., but I'm sure you're creative juices are flowing already.
Keep up the great work.

thanks Seamus76...do these bonus names work for you?
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [2.11.12] V21-P13 GFX

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:24 pm

koontz1973 wrote:cairns, I only have one thing that I might change and this would be completely up to you as it really is aesthetics would be the gold circle in the middle. Could you make it the same thickness as the lettering in the title?

Seamus76 wrote:Great looking map as always cairns, I really like the mosaic, which is pretty different but what I would expect from you. I have to agree with Koontz though, the inner gold ring is too thick, and a little distracting. Also, no offense, but with it being so big it looks a little cheesy and fake. Making it thinner will give you a little more room for the inner ring names, and god knows what magic you can do with an extra pixel or two...

Addressing the issues above re the gold ring thickness and colour....i have re-worked the title and ring so that they are all similar and similar thickness. Also added a small drop shadow to the items in the legend, but not the text...i think it is OK as is.

Version 21

And the large at 700x700
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [2.12.12] V21-P13 GFX

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

The title is perfect, and the ring looks much better.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 pm

isaiah40 wrote:The title is perfect, and the ring looks much better.

thanks isaiah40....is there anything else you can see needs attention?
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 pm

must u have the dots in the abbreviations for the inner suburbs? they make the centre of the map a bit untidy.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

iancanton wrote:must u have the dots in the abbreviations for the inner suburbs? they make the centre of the map a bit untidy.

ian. :)

I don't think it is untidy. and since most often that is the way abbreviations are noted...i think they're OK.
otherwise do you have an alternative suggestion ?
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [2.12.12] V21-P13 GFX

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:58 am

T.I. and A.I. in both maps. Can you move the name a tad so it does not sit on the territ line.

cairnswk, this is a personal request so feel completely free to ignore it. The inset that you have the legend in, I have need wondering if it would look better at a raised piece of wood and made to look like a plaque.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 am

koontz1973 wrote:T.I. and A.I. in both maps. Can you move the name a tad so it does not sit on the territ line.

see what i can do...
[quuote]cairnswk, this is a personal request so feel completely free to ignore it. The inset that you have the legend in, I have need wondering if it would look better at a raised piece of wood and made to look like a plaque.[/quote]
raised piece of wood on jewellry? Mmmm, don't think so, but i have been thinking about something else. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:47 am

cairnswk wrote:raised piece of wood on jewellry? Mmmm, don't think so, but i have been thinking about something else. :)

Looking forward to it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 am

Nice work on the ring and title.

For me the bonus names do nothing but confuse me a little. I just don't think you need them, and since there is nothing outside of the map itself to reference what terts are part of what bonus having it say Zapadny doesn't really do much but make people think those might be actual terts at first glance. Again, if there were something referencing what bonuses contained what terts the naming might be in order, but for me it's a case of too much info.

Also, sorry if I missed it, but what's the deal with "Tsentralny"? It's on 4 diff terts, but I can't find any reference to it that indicates what it means.
ImageImageImage

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 am

Seamus76 wrote:Nice work on the ring and title.

For me the bonus names do nothing but confuse me a little. I just don't think you need them, and since there is nothing outside of the map itself to reference what terts are part of what bonus having it say Zapadny doesn't really do much but make people think those might be actual terts at first glance. Again, if there were something referencing what bonuses contained what terts the naming might be in order, but for me it's a case of too much info.

Also, sorry if I missed it, but what's the deal with "Tsentralny"? It's on 4 diff terts, but I can't find any reference to it that indicates what it means.

I requested the bonus names, if I remember correctly, because in team games or whatever, without those there, they will have to be referred to as "light blue bonus in the Nw" or "green bonus in the east" (which, as a colorblind person, is just a pain to deal with lol).

But, I also don't know what the Tsentralny references either.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am

nolefan5311 wrote:

I requested the bonus names, if I remember correctly, because in team games or whatever, without those there, they will have to be referred to as "light blue bonus in the Nw" or "green bonus in the east" (which, as a colorblind person, is just a pain to deal with lol).

You're right, it does make it easier to reference, but with out them the map is cleaner, and players will come up with something easily to reference to each other, no?
ImageImageImage

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

Seamus76 wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:

You're right, it does make it easier to reference, but with out them the map is cleaner, and players will come up with something easily to reference to each other, no?

I'm not really sure. How would you reference them when describing them to other players?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 am

nolefan5311 wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:

I'm not really sure. How would you reference them when describing them to other players?

Yeah, there's not really an easier way, especially with the spellings of the names :lol: , and searching for a random tert within a region sucks compared to finding the star.
ImageImageImage

Re: Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [7.12.12] V22-P14 GFX

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm

koontz1973 wrote:T.I. and A.I. in both maps. Can you move the name a tad so it does not sit on the territ line.

Done...

This V22 might solve the continent issue for everyone...but had to add 30px to size of map now it is 661x661

Private cairnswk

Re: Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [7.12.12] V22-P14 GFX

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 am

You'll have to apply for super-size status to increase the size of this small version to those dimensions, cairns.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas