Egypt: Valley Of The Kings [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:28 pm

It's looking nice, mind supplying us with the links to the map images, along with the XML (hopefully updated with 'territory').


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It's looking nice, mind supplying us with the links to the map images, along with the XML (hopefully updated with 'territory').
--Andy


Yup, thanks Andy! As requested below! :)

Small V50 @ 100%

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0S-100.jpg

Image

Large V50 @ 100%

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0L-100.jpg

Image

XML with "territory"

Download alleyofthekingswithterritory.xml
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:38 pm

EDIT: Cairns updated so....

Look I can dance! -> \:D/
Last edited by Coleman on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
User avatar
Sergeant Coleman
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Midwest
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:48 pm

User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Hmm... the font in the legend is looking a little untidy. There seem to be some stray pixels around the edges of the font, most noticeably on the headings. Is this an effect of the text or something gone wrong somewhere along the line?

P.S. Foundry is spelt incorrectly in your sig Cairns. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:09 am
Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Hmm... the font in the legend is looking a little untidy. There seem to be some stray pixels around the edges of the font, most noticeably on the headings. Is this an effect of the text or something gone wrong somewhere along the line?

P.S. Foundry is spelt incorrectly in your sig Cairns. :wink:


Ooops! Thanks for the pickup on the Found'ry. Fixed. :)

Yes, unfortunately there is some pixelation on the Papyrus font, but I don't think it is anything to fuss over. :) Comes with the font and kind of gives it that tattered ancient look as though other parts had fallen off the plaster, dont' you think! Which is exactly what this map needs for character.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:39 pm

I thought 'Foundary' was maybe an Australian thing. Like color and colour, etc. ;)

Anyways, regarding the pixelation, it really doesn't appear to be it. The edginess (as in on the letters) works for the style of the map I think.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I thought 'Foundary' was maybe an Australian thing. Like color and colour, etc. ;)

Anyways, regarding the pixelation, it really doesn't appear to be it. The edginess (as in on the letters) works for the style of the map I think.


--Andy


He he... :lol: No andy, I simply stuffed that one up! :shock:
I agree about the pixelation. 8)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby Enigma on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:26 pm

wow cairns- this is beautiful. the colours are gorgeous, the pathways are so much clearer, and the touch of continent colour in the underworld is absolutely brilliant. (im not sure whos idea that was, but im not really interested in going back and reading 2 months worth of posts :P ).
as for comments, i have to agree with keygoi about the font being a bit pixely- especially in the legend, but also throughout the map and in your (and highc540's) sig.
2nd, there is a dark line dividing each amente from its paired afterlife. these lines look like they could almost make a circle if connected, but it seems that they would not quite match up. i think the map would look better if these lines were based around a perfect circle as this is the focal point of the map. [also note that on maat this line does not connect all the way to the upper edge of the "cloud"].
other than that i cant see any tweaks :P. this map is really shaping up wonderfully and it looks like it will be a lot of fun to play :).
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
User avatar
Lieutenant Enigma
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Classified
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 pm

cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I thought 'Foundary' was maybe an Australian thing. Like color and colour, etc. ;)

Anyways, regarding the pixelation, it really doesn't appear to be it. The edginess (as in on the letters) works for the style of the map I think.


--Andy


He he... :lol: No andy, I simply stuffed that one up! :shock:
I agree about the pixelation. 8)


Oh...and Andy....I'm sorry to say this, but "colour" is English, which the Australians adopted as their native language [not referring of course to the indigenous peoples]
I think it was the Americans who dropped the "u", and have continued to do so in just about everything: we call it Americanisms. LOL :lol:
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Enigma wrote:wow cairns- this is beautiful. the colours are gorgeous, the pathways are so much clearer, and the touch of continent colour in the underworld is absolutely brilliant. (im not sure whos idea that was, but im not really interested in going back and reading 2 months worth of posts :P ).
as for comments, i have to agree with keygoi about the font being a bit pixely- especially in the legend, but also throughout the map and in your (and highc540's) sig.
2nd, there is a dark line dividing each amente from its paired afterlife. these lines look like they could almost make a circle if connected, but it seems that they would not quite match up. i think the map would look better if these lines were based around a perfect circle as this is the focal point of the map. [also note that on maat this line does not connect all the way to the upper edge of the "cloud"].
other than that i cant see any tweaks :P. this map is really shaping up wonderfully and it looks like it will be a lot of fun to play :).


Enigma...thanks for the comments. :) Lovely to have you back at the end of this map.
* I've attended to those circular line...these should be far better now.
* I've adjusted all the headings in the legend....there is still some small pixelation happening there from the font type, but I think this is much better than it was.

Small @100

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0S-100.jpg

Image

Large @ 100

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 0L-100.jpg

Image

XML with territories

http://putstuff.putfile.com/97827/5626457
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 am

Underworld A's Amente circle doesn't quite touch border to border, as Enigma pointed out. ;)


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Underworld A's Amente circle doesn't quite touch border to border, as Enigma pointed out. ;)


--Andy


Andy, I fixed those.
Can you do a browser refresh please. :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby jasnostj on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:42 am

50 updates of the map, and nobody has told you yet that there are no pyramids or sphinxes in the Valley of the Kings? In fact, the earliest tombs in the Valley were build some 1000 years after Cheop's pyramid, some 600 kms further up the Nile.
User avatar
Private jasnostj
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 6:57 am

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:18 am

jasnostj wrote:50 updates of the map, and nobody has told you yet that there are no pyramids or sphinxes in the Valley of the Kings? In fact, the earliest tombs in the Valley were build some 1000 years after Cheop's pyramid, some 600 kms further up the Nile.

Thanks jasnostj. :)
That topic has been well discussed in this thread.
I am well aware of the fact that there are no pyramids in the Valley of Kings.
The Sphinx and the Pyramid have a link to the afterlife which is what this map is all about.
They are also one of the most recognised symbols on earth.
That is why they have been used here.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login