Conquer Club

Classic Cities: Madrid [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [26/8] V3

Postby 100023690 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:40 am

hello mate

it is a good idea and it seems a good map
but there are some mistakes with names: Usear is Usera, Pozuelo and humera are cities very close to madrid like Getafe ,but they arent´districs from madrid capital, there are some big districs that you forget like Villaverde,Moncloa, and there are some districs in wrong places like retiro,centro.

greetings
Captain 100023690

Postby General Brewsie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:13 am

I live in Seville, a 2.5 hours trip away by high speed train, and do't go there more than 2 or 3 times a year, so am not as intimately familiar with it as a native Madrileño would be, Nevertheless, I would expect to see the city's main train station, "Atocha" depicted in the south-central part and connections made via the normal train or even metro routes from Atocha to the other stations. Also, a major landmark similar in importance to a Madrileño is the "Puerta de Alcalá," a structure somewhat like Paris' "Arc de tromphe" and equal to it in importance in the minds of the country's inhabitants. The country's most important airport, Barajas, is located on the eastern edge, as well. One more important landmark is "El parque del Retiro" and I think it would be good to include that, if possible. It is a relatively large area which could double as a barrier. Then there is the largest square in the city, called the "Plaza mayor" and the city's main theater street, called "La Gran Vía" which translates appropriately as "Broadway" in English.
Lieutenant General Brewsie

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:20 am

Guys, thanks for the look in. Names changing to suggested versions and will post the map that I took them from. General, will look at images for those stations and land marks and get those drawn.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby TaelS on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:12 am

Pozuelo de Aralcon >> Pozuelo de Alarcón.
Usear >> Usera.
Tetuan >> Tetuán.
Chamberi >> Chamberí.

I'm afraid I don't like the background. I'm talking about the Spanish guitar, the bull, and those mini-pics in the corner. Regarding the mini-pics, that's not "Madrid" at all, even if you took it from a Spanish gossip magazine. And the bull and the guitar... Ok, that could be Spanish, but are we talking about a Madrid (the city) map, or a Spain (the country) map? Because if we are talking about Madrid, as a city, those two shouldn't be there.
So, me at least, I'd replace all them by other things really typical from Madrid, such as La Cibeles, La Puerta de Alcalá, the clock of la Puerta del Sol (very famous for his new year event), etc.

Regarding the name of the places... I'm afraid I also have to disagree there. You have to ask to yourself: are you doing a Madrid map as Madrid the province, or as Madrid the capital?
Both are great choices, but you have to take that in mind, because if you are doing for example the capital map, I don't believe you should put places as Pozuelo or Humera for example, as it's not really placed in Madrid capital. In that case, I would also put places as "Puerta del Sol" or "Gran Vía" instead (but not if you take the province option).
In case you choose the province map, you have to make a difference between suburbs, towns, small towns, places, etc. For example, why do you choose Humera AND Pozuelo? Pozuelo is a town, and Humera a small town in Pozuelo. You picked Pozuelo, but you don't talk about Leganés, Móstoles, Alcorcón or many other towns. Also, it's quite confussing you picked at the same time a place (Center), a town (Pozuelo), a suburb (Vallecas), a small town (Humera), etc. If you go for this province map option, I'd suggest to pick the same type of place, ie, not mixing up towns, with suburbs, with small towns, with places, etc. It's like if you are doing for example a New York map and you put Upper East side, Manhattan and Central Park as three different places.

Also, Chueca is a very famous place from all over Spain, as it is the most famous gaytown community from all Spain. Even more famous than most of the neighborhoods or districts you chose, for instance La Latina (even when it's quite famous too), which by the way it's not at the other side of the Manzanares river (in case that river is the Manzanares river, of course), but in the same side as the center of the city. You can take a look at the subway map if you want to know which part is on which side:
http://www.eoi.es/blogs/sostenibilidad/files/2010/01/planometro1ih7.jpg

Finally, Casa de Campo is famous for many things: whores (yep, you read well), zoo, amusement park... It'd be nice to have some pic about it in that place (not regarding whores, but maybe something about an amusement park, or zoo, etc.).
Best regards.
Brigadier TaelS

Postby espana1155 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 am

must agree about the buildings,make them more ancient rather than toytown.will be interested in playing a game or 2 on this map wen u av dun.
Sergeant espana1155

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is what I got and will need you to correct them if wrong.
Madrid has 21 districts which are all on the map, but the map needs 24 territories to be allowed to go forward. To make up the extra three, I have had to split the names for Fuencarral-El Pardo into two and Moncloa-Aravaca into two. This got me to 23 territs so I looked into Aravaca and found the name Penagrande to give me my 24th. All should now be correct and in roughly the right place, but if not, let me know.

Atocha station, have drawn it and you will see it in the top right of the map. Can I get a placement for it. Which territ should it go into.
Puerta de Alcalá, same as the station, it is drawn but need to know where to place it.
El parque del Retiro, is already on the map between Tetaun and Chamberi. Is this correct? I know it is a park but in the photos I looked at, it has a lot of stone work. But I can and will make the oval in front of it green.
Barajas airport, wanted it in and had it for an early version but decicded to take it out as, and I may be wrong, it would now be of the map.
La Gran Vía, want this in as it would make a great picture, where would I put it?
The city zoo, another good picture, and it has been drawn with an elephant (top right), but where do I place it.

Mini pics in the corners, these can change, anyone with ideas for 4 similar ones would be good. I know nole asked for buildings but I really do not want these. Any other ideas.
Main pics, I chose these as many players would know more about Spain than Madrid. The corners match (Bull/red cloth), (Guitar/Flamenco dancer) Madrid has one of the biggest Plaza de Toros (bullrings I believe) so that stays. The guitar and Dancer can go if anyone has anything better.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [28/8] V4 Pg 1/2

Postby snelliugmj on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,

First thanks for doing a Madrid map.

Few details. I hardly recognize any of the buildings that are there, In fact the city has several distinct atractions (check on google images for: Puerta del sol, puerta de alcalá, oso y madroño, plaza castilla, cibeles, neptuno, palacio real, plaza mayor, parque del retiro, museo del prado, atocha, Santiago bernabeu, torre picasso, conjunto 4 torres).

You keep changing the names. I checked 1 hour ago, and besides some misspelled words, the places were better named than now.

Good work, and keep me posted with ne changes so I can help.
Sergeant 1st Class snelliugmj

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:30 am

I will look at those places, as for the names, I changed them as instructed. If I could ask you to give me a list of names that need changing then I can do it. I thought these where better than last times.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:14 pm

just in case it is useful, you can find a metro map of Madrid here:
http://www.ctm-madrid.es/pdf/metro.pdf
Captain PepeAtila

Postby mirinna on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I love Madrid! This is where I live. I would go for Madrid itself more than its outskirts. Show the old neigbourhoods and make the buildings recognizable.
For instance, focus on areas like:
1. Sol (oso y madroño, edificio del reloj, km 0, main square) this should be the central point, the km0 of the map.
2. Plaza Mayor, Plaza España, Plaza Castilla, Plaza de Toros de las Ventas, Plaza toros Carabanchel
3. Palacio de los deportes, La Peineta, Ciudad deportiva del Real Madrid
4. Mercado San Miguel, Rastro de Madrid(Flea Market)
5. Bailen, Royal Palace, Las Cortes, Banco de España, Edificio del Ayuntamiento (antiguo Correos),
6. Important squares: Puerta Alcala arch, Moncloa arch, Puerta de Toledo Arch, Plaza Colon
7. Estaciones: Piramides, Pricipe Pio, Atocha, Sol, Recoletos, Nuevos Ministerios, Chamartin (special bonus when owning all stations)
8. Football stadiums: Calderon (Atletico de Madrid Team Home), Bernabeu (Real Madrid Team home)
9. Parks: Retiro Park, Capricho Park, Parque del Oeste, Casa de Campo, Arganzuela
10. Rio Manzanares
11, Zoo-acuario, Parque de Atracciones (amussement Park)
12. Bridges: Puente de los Franceses, Puente de Segovia, Puente Toledo
13. Barrios: Chamberi, Fuencarral, Latina, Arganzuela, Retiro, Vistillas, Huertas (las Cortes)
14. Streets: Alcala, Mayor, Arenal, Gran Via, Princesa, Paseo del Prado, Serrano, Velazquez, Goya,
15. Museums: Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen, Sorolla, Ciencias Naturales, Museo de Cera ( colon)...
16. Fuentes: Cibeles, Neptuno,
and more in the very center of Madrid
I'll be more than happy to also help you with the drawing of the buildings.

Mirinna
Lieutenant mirinna

Postby snelliugmj on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:45 am

koontz1973 wrote:I will look at those places, as for the names, I changed them as instructed. If I could ask you to give me a list of names that need changing then I can do it. I thought these where better than last times.

Here is a map with the placement of the districts: http://estaticos02.cache.el-mundo.net/e ... madrid.gif
Here you can see the names are somehow ok, but the placement is not. Hope this helps to improve.

The retiro park should be between Retiro and Salamanca (it's in the north of the district). The building that is now there I do not recognize it.

The zoo should go where there are three buildings red, yellow and green in the west (north from the road)

For the background, consider including the seal of the city: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... cfOlwg&t=1

Overall, I suggest to make a larger map with the 21 districts, and some landmarks with bonuses and special victory rules.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for all the help guys.
Lets deal with things one at a time. Territ names. The image posted by snelliugmj is very similar to the one I have with only a couple of differences. Without going to Madrid, I am going to have to take someone's word over others or we will be here all day argueing over which territ is named what. I know and as it is posted on both mine and his, the central 6 are named correctly. I have taken some artistic licence with Madrid and moved the odd thing around and made others larger or smaller like Fuencarrel. On both images I have, this is huge but as it is stuck on the outskirts, it needs to be a lot smaller for the bonuses sake. The same with territ lines. These cannot strictly go acording to boundries within the city as it would make for a poor map. Madrid is made up, like most cities of small in the middle and large on the outskirts, so a rough equalling of territ sizes has to be made. Sorry if you are from Madrid but it needs to be done. ;)
Buildings. These are easier to deal with. Name a building, post a picture and tell me where it should go, it will go on. I am going to try and fill the map with as many as I can get in as long as it does not impede game play. The original ones will stay (may go smaller) as they are the fillers between the ones requested and the ones I find and draw.
The one that snelliugmj did not recognise was the Royal Palace.
show

I want this back on (taken of for now) so where does it go.
Things changed.
Certain buildings have been replaced.
Territ lines have been redrawn. (the last time for now until game play gets sorted).
Madrid coat of arms (bottom right).
New border taken from the coat.
Corners now have the filigree from the coat as well.
Click image to enlarge.

Last but not least for tonight, here is my inspiration for this map. First one shows detail and colour stylings and the second, what I hope to end up with at the end (to a point).
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [29/8] V5 Pg 1/2

Postby x-raider on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Am liking all the changes...
Just some graphical comments.
Do you think you could provide an example where the generic buildings are mixed up.
So you'll have a few different building types and colours in each impassable group.
Could you put a border between the river and the 'west' region. Maybe use the 'centre' green colour.
If not, maybe change the colour of the whole river border so it doesn't match the current cyan, green or red colours in the regions it passes through.
The buildings up the top (Fuencarral) shouldn't be going over the edge of the map (the rectangle part).
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm

x-raider wrote:Am liking all the changes...

Thanks
Just some graphical comments.

OK then.
Do you think you could provide an example where the generic buildings are mixed up.
So you'll have a few different building types and colours in each impassable group.

Will happen, just waiting for more of the one of buildings to go on then I can move those ones around
Could you put a border between the river and the 'west' region. Maybe use the 'centre' green colour.

The buildings will take care of this.
If not, maybe change the colour of the whole river border so it doesn't match the current cyan, green or red colours in the regions it passes through.

Colours will be tweaked later when the design is set in stone. Right now, it is getting there but am not to sure on how many buildings to add without it looking over crowded and confusing.
The buildings up the top (Fuencarral) shouldn't be going over the edge of the map (the rectangle part).

These will always go over the border. Designed it that way.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 am

Glow around bonuses replaced by glow on names.
All new city skyline.
doubled checked names and they seem correct.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [30/8] V5 Pg 1/2

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 am

No comments since last version so I will take that as the names are some what correct but I have changed the bonus names to further eliminate the need for accuracy. Do not get me wrong, the names are correct, but they may not be at the correct orientation. Also, did not like the crest of Madrid so changed back to the guitar. Removed the last border and have gone back to paisley. Added a few more buildings as well. Still need buildings of Madrid though so await on those. Let the filigree in the corners though.
Click image to enlarge.

I tried to put the crest in different places but it just did not meld with the map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [3/9] V6 Pg 1/3

Postby snelliugmj on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:33 am

As you say, the placement is not correct. My suggestion is:
Yellow (From north to south) Ciudad Lineal. Moratalaz, Vicálvaro.
Cyan (From north to south) Villa de Vallecas, Puente de Vallecas)
Blue (South east corner) Villaverde

Postby snelliugmj on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 am

As of the need of more buildings:

Plaza Castilla: (http://www.paladareventos.com/imagenesd ... io-web.jpg) goes north of Chamartin.
Puerta del sol: (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5JO3fIfUBnw/T ... 1600/1.jpg) Somewhere in centro
Puente de toledo: (http://pictures2.todocoleccion.net/tc/2 ... 958261.jpg) bridge between Retiro and Villaverde (as I suggest) or actual Puente de Vallecas.
Torres de Madrid: (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... YuPPqE&t=1) West of Fuencarral
Cibeles: (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ti5eQn9jxZk/T ... eles02.jpg) Where you have now the bull ring
The bull ring (ventas) where the Stadium
The stadium between Chamberí and Tetuan and the other stuff please get rid of (I can't identify it)
Palacio real & Cathedral (http://www.ociogo.com/images/madrid/000 ... madrid.jpg) west from Latina.
Atocha (now in center od Blue) move it to inner border of Cyan.
Airport (http://www.frajumar.com/2010/images/sto ... ipt4_1.jpg) west of Barajas

If you still need more buildings just ask, but most of the representatives are in centro, and would be cramed.

Finally, if you dislike the crest, try to keep the bear and the tree as that is the symbol of the city (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gLuN8_wR6VY/T ... 0/oso1.jpg) or google "oso y madroño" for further images.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for the pictures, will add those buildings in.. Will see about getting them in. Also, thanks for the names. Will go by you and send everyone after you forever more if they say they are wrong. ;)

Keep trying with the crest and have even taken the bull and tree out for a different placement. Nothing to now works but I will keep trying and it will go in. It might take time so please give it such.

The one you could not recognise is this statue, so please let me know where it goes.

Where is this statue, it might go on the map as the buildings if I can drawn it right.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby snelliugmj on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 am

The first picture in in Retiro Park. My suggestion is to either just get the monument (without the lake) or get the lake rectangular. I like more the first option... Place it in the middle of Retiro.

The second picture is Puerta del Sol, which is the "city center", therefore should go in Centro

On the names, There is no optimal solution as you have reshaped the "distritos" a bit, however they are somehow better with my proposal.. Or at least that's my opinion.

BTW, as you like pictures, here is one more:
Plaza de España: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... TPqv9Q&t=1) This one would go either south of centro or if it's too crowded in Arganzuela by the river.

There are other wonderful places, like "Plaza Mayor", "Neptuno", "Museo del Prado" but as I said all go to Centro, and I don't see enough space. If you want I can share some pictures and place them...

Postby snelliugmj on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 am

To help you better understand what I meant with the rectacular shape of the lake... http://pictures2.todocoleccion.net/tc/2 ... 821750.jpg

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 am

Bloody hell snelliugmj, still trying to draw and fit ion the last lot. ;) Thanks for the info and will make sure things are changed or moved to the way you have guided me. Lets leave the photos for now as there is more than enough for the next draft. I know you have posted the territ name changes and expect them on the next draft. Should be this weekend. 8-[
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [7/9] V6 Pg 1/3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:25 am

Next one. Territ names as suggested by snelliugmj.
Moved buildings as directed, removed the water from the statue and added some of the suggested buildings. Some are not in the correct position as directed like the two sloping buildings. The colours match the roads too much and blended in so have moved them to behinf the buildings in the correct territ. Now at the bottom, not the top.
Click image to enlarge.

These buildings added.

Do not think any more can be added as the small one will not show the same detail as the large version. But if a building is unique enough then why not add it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [7/9] V7 Pg 1/3

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm

I believe this can be stickied for now!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Classic Cities Madrid [7/9] V7 Pg 1/3

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks isaiah.
Moved territ names and glows.
Made all colours colour blind friendly now.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to The Atlas