D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: D-DAY... and other map improvement ideas...

Postby gdeangel on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:10 am

timthetuneman wrote:Repeating the obvious...

1- Reduce total number of territories by 2... This will lessen the 1st players advantage...
2- Eliminate negative armies... and instead... give a bonus army for holding plane and parachute...
3- Do not allow the first player on ANY MAP to collect a bonus on his very first turn...

Think about it... you join a game and go second... the other guy already has a bonus... he gets TEN ARMIES on his first turn and takes say 4 territories from you... you only get SIX ARMIES on your first turn... plus... you have a NEGATIVE ARMY... so you really only get FIVE ARMIES... GAME OVER...!!!!!!

PLEASE FIX THESE OBVIOUS PROBLEMS THAT HAVE SUCH SIMPLE SOLUTIONS...!!!!


Concur on point 3. This is so blatantly poor planning by the map maker. I sick of how little thought goes into making 1v1 gameplay balanced. Here's a game where the other guy had a 14 bonus by the second round. Game 1948882 In maps where average bonsues are 2, even 3, and not overlapping, it makes not that big a deal. But on this map it's a major problem.

Point 1, suck it up. Point 2... that negative bonus part never made sense, but I still liked it because it's different. You should be able to bombard the parachute from the artillery or something, so you can get out of the negative bonus. Otherwise it is a little ridiculous.
My ever constant two last games seem to have no end in sight!
User avatar
Sergeant gdeangel
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 pm
Location: In the Basement
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:47 am

I'm not sure whether 1v1 games were available when this map was made?

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:57 am

Long ago I suggested that either the 2 parachutes or the 2 planes start neutral, which solves both the starting territory count and the possibility of having a -1 on the drop.

This would however mean that there would be a "significant" number of neutrals, which has generally been seen as a "bad thing" - see fuller discussion of this her: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=34210
Image
User avatar
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Waterloo
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby Incandenza on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:49 pm

I concur that an argument could be made for the parachutes to start neutral... also, and I know this has been brought up, but it's worth recapping, a further argument could be made to convert the artilleries to bombard-only (and in compensation for their reduced powers, perhaps given one more terit each that they can reach).
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby gdeangel on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:24 am

Being able to bomb the parachutes gets you to the same place as starting them neutral, with a little more variability to the game.

If you want to add a "realism" factor, rather than turn after turn negative bonus, if you were to start them neutral, then it would be cool to also make the parachutes revert back to like a +3 neutral at the start of the players turn, like in some of the newer maps. That would do away with the "negative combo bonus, but keep the same idea about deterring the parachets attack to the rear. It also fits the map theme, cause you can't hang around in mid air in the parachute without getting picked off. Parachute has to land, right?
My ever constant two last games seem to have no end in sight!
User avatar
Sergeant gdeangel
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 pm
Location: In the Basement
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:16 am

gdeangel wrote:If you want to add a "realism" factor, rather than turn after turn negative bonus, if you were to start them neutral, then it would be cool to also make the parachutes revert back to like a +3 neutral at the start of the players turn, like in some of the newer maps. That would do away with the "negative combo bonus, but keep the same idea about deterring the parachets attack to the rear. It also fits the map theme, cause you can't hang around in mid air in the parachute without getting picked off. Parachute has to land, right?


That ain't a half-bad idea.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:08 am

Killer Neutrals also start neutral too - so that would also bring the territory count down by 2 as well.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby mibi on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:05 pm

gdeangel wrote:Being able to bomb the parachutes gets you to the same place as starting them neutral, with a little more variability to the game.

If you want to add a "realism" factor, rather than turn after turn negative bonus, if you were to start them neutral, then it would be cool to also make the parachutes revert back to like a +3 neutral at the start of the players turn, like in some of the newer maps. That would do away with the "negative combo bonus, but keep the same idea about deterring the parachets attack to the rear. It also fits the map theme, cause you can't hang around in mid air in the parachute without getting picked off. Parachute has to land, right?


i'm fine with this, will require a minor legend change. I will put in on my list.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:11 pm

mibi wrote:
gdeangel wrote:Being able to bomb the parachutes gets you to the same place as starting them neutral, with a little more variability to the game.

If you want to add a "realism" factor, rather than turn after turn negative bonus, if you were to start them neutral, then it would be cool to also make the parachutes revert back to like a +3 neutral at the start of the players turn, like in some of the newer maps. That would do away with the "negative combo bonus, but keep the same idea about deterring the parachets attack to the rear. It also fits the map theme, cause you can't hang around in mid air in the parachute without getting picked off. Parachute has to land, right?


i'm fine with this, will require a minor legend change. I will put in on my list.


cool - I think I suggested the basic version of that (before killer neutrals existed) at least 10 months ago!
Image
User avatar
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Waterloo
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby tenio on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:05 pm

lol was just gonna ask the reasoning behind the "-1"
plane-parachute thing

if parachute reverts to neautral after every round and -1 is removed i think it would serve the same purpose
User avatar
Cadet tenio
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: The Moon
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

D-Day: Omaha Beach!

Postby Othimos on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 am

D-Day: Omaha Beach! Map in need of bonus change.

For some strange reason on this map all areas have a bonus except -- 21st german panzers area, 352nd german infantry area and 916th german grenadiers area, i don't know if this was ment when the map was made or not but it still needs changing in my opinion as it does give unfair advantage for other areas and this is the first map i have come across with no bonus for holding an entire region/area.
User avatar
Private 1st Class Othimos
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:37 am
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach!

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 am

There are plenty of maps like that. It changes gameplay around. It is not something that needs to be fixed.
User avatar
Private 1st Class captainwalrus
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Finnmark
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach!

Postby Othimos on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks, as said first map i've come across personally like this with no bonuses for holding a region, still seems a bit strange lol.
User avatar
Private 1st Class Othimos
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:37 am
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby Reps89 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Are the planes part of the boats? Do you need them for the bonus?
Cadet Reps89
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Reps89 wrote:Are the planes part of the boats? Do you need them for the bonus?

No.
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login