Page 8 of 12

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:31 pm
by ManBungalow
I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say.

The size of the bridges are fine. Some of them are smaller than others, but that's cool.

All I'm suggesting is that you smooth off the ends of them (as circled in my image) to make them look less like rectangles dropped on top of everything else.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:32 pm
by Gilligan
Are we ready to go live now? :)

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm
by Armandolas
In the past i had criticizef some of your maps, mostly because of graphics....but this one just looks...Beautifull
Congratz

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm
by Oneyed
only problem are some bridges where are rivers visible.

Oneyed

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm
by ManBungalow
To clarify, this is what I'm suggesting with the bridges:

Image

You're currently using bridge model A.

I recommend bridge model B. It's the same, but with soft ends.

At the moment, they stand out from the rest of the map because they look like blocks of whatever just slapped on top of the image.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm
by koontz1973
Armandolas wrote:In the past i had criticizef some of your maps, mostly because of graphics....but this one just looks...Beautifull
Congratz

Thanks you.
ManBungalow wrote:To clarify, this is what I'm suggesting with the bridges:

Image

You're currently using bridge model A.

I recommend bridge model B. It's the same, but with soft ends.

At the moment, they stand out from the rest of the map because they look like blocks of whatever just slapped on top of the image.

ManB, I know what you wanted. But I am happy with the way they are. As I said, I was in two minds whether to do your way or not. I like your way but they are too realistic for the map so I deferred judgement to the higher ups (players). If they say to change it, then I will.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:34 am
by thenobodies80
tbh I like ManB suggestion athough I don't see it as a mandatory thing.

If there's nothing more to add i think we're ready to play...no?

Nobodies

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 am
by koontz1973
Will make the change this weekend. I take it Monday is the earliest we can play so expect the files by then.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [13/4] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 am
by koontz1973
Why wait.
Here you go.
Vertex.
Click image to enlarge.
image

Image
Austrum.
Click image to enlarge.
image

Image

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm
by Oneyed
there are still visible rivers under some bridges...

Oneyed

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm
by thenobodies80
Oneyed wrote:there are still visible rivers under some bridges...

Oneyed


Where? I can't see them... :?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:24 pm
by Oneyed
thenobodies80 wrote:
Where? I can't see them... :?


in Vertex map: from Gerros to Cephissus and from Cephissus to Hyparis.
in Austrum map: from Ionia to Ridun.

Oneyed

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:30 pm
by koontz1973
That is the grain, not the river. All bridges have a 100% opacity dark grey backing behind the texture layer.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:49 am
by SirSebstar
it looks visually appealing. count be a real boon for FS players on manual though, win with round 3 (due to round 1 being placement)
looks like a low recovery map if you start the first turn with bonussess due to 4+ in one region.....mmm
what eslse do you want to have looked at?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:15 pm
by thenobodies80
          Beta - Quenching

---The development periods have concluded for the Austrum and Vertex Maps. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand these maps with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that these maps are now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the maps will be put into Full Play (barring any Admins or Foundry Foreman vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

              Image


While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. It is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.
    3. Write a "creative" map description and send it to the Foundry Foreman via PM. You're encouraged to post it into the first post of the thread as well; the description will be used to populate the maps database.


thenobodies80

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 pm
by ManBungalow
Congrats koontz; your best-looking maps to date.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 pm
by nolefan5311
Congrats koontz!

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm
by Teflon Kris
Nice - although do you really want to give +10 bonus for the full island on the right in Austrum, and nothing for connected regions in the centre?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm
by Gilligan
Might need to add/remove some neutrals on Austrum - 12 starting territs in 1v1 isn't great

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm
by koontz1973
DJ Teflon wrote:Nice - although do you really want to give +10 bonus for the full island on the right in Austrum, and nothing for connected regions in the centre?

Connected regions in the centre do give a bonus. They need to be in the same regions though. Look at the names and glows.
Gilligan wrote:Might need to add/remove some neutrals on Austrum - 12 starting territs in 1v1 isn't great

Will sort that today. That is bad, I had it at 13.

EDIT: Made Icaria a neutral 3.
AUfix2.xml
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 am
by puppydog85
Quick point on Austrum, once I figured out that it was not the last map I played (Vertex), I had a slight amount of trouble finding out what the exploratorum were (it might be that it was speed 1min. game). But perhaps it might be possible to make the ships in the legend a little bolder? They just looked like background decoration to me, but the whole thing could have been because I was confused about the map and then the time.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 pm
by koontz1973
puppydog85 wrote:Quick point on Austrum, once I figured out that it was not the last map I played (Vertex), I had a slight amount of trouble finding out what the exploratorum were (it might be that it was speed 1min. game). But perhaps it might be possible to make the ships in the legend a little bolder? They just looked like background decoration to me, but the whole thing could have been because I was confused about the map and then the time.

This has been brought up before. Will look into it but a new map, 1 minute speed and getting confused with Vertex is probably not the best thing to play. Now try playing both in a 1 minute speed while drinking. Every game you lose, you drink a pint. :oops:

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:56 pm
by perchorin
Beautiful map koontz. I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read. Enough straining and I figured out what it said, but I can guarantee you any players on this site who's native language doesn't use the Roman alphabet will be very hard-pressed to know what the legend says.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm
by ManBungalow
perchorin wrote:Beautiful map koontz. I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read. Enough straining and I figured out what it said, but I can guarantee you any players on this site who's native language doesn't use the Roman alphabet will be very hard-pressed to know what the legend says.

I also raised a point about the font of the legend about three pages back.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:54 pm
by betiko
Haven t tried austrum yet but I m playing a few vertex and I like it with its original bonus.