cairnswk wrote:OK, oaktown has put in a suggestion to address this issue that we matrix the starting positions (and i think this should only be done for the aircraft as I don't see any other areas as being the issue)
Anyone want to have a go at this (aircraft are above).
Trick is that you get a bonus for having as few as two aircraft, so short of coding the planes as neutral starts (which I agree is not ideal) you are going to end up with aircraft bonuses in two player games. In creating two starting positions I think what you will want to do is this:
1. give each player three of each aircraft: it will give each player three +2 bonuses
2. make it really difficult for player 1 to break player 2's aircraft bonuses by
- coding the AA batteries nuetral, with a bunchof armies on each (at least five)
- starting each player with the boats that border their own planes, so it will take crashing through two boats AND two planes to eliminate any one bonus. eg. the player that gets V1 also gets Ramsey, the player that gets Z1 also gets nevada and, thus, also starts with z2.
So long as player 2 also gets to start with all of his/her aircraft bonuses this will actually be a pretty good two player map; how often is player two in a head to head game guaranteed a +9 bonus?
1. as i understand it, you can't simply code each player to start with three +2 bonuses.
If you code for player one and two (as per two player game) what happens to the rest of the planes in the random drop.
Because there are 19 planes in all, taking out 6 for a two player game will leave 13 planes, divide that by three and you still have four at least for player one and two, which means that any one of the players could still end up with a sizeable bonus.
2. I don't see any benefit either in placing player's starting positions on ships next to their planes. the idea of the battle is to allow other players to gain an upper hand with the planes on the ships.
3. coding the AA batteries to neutral start however, i can concur might work since it would have taken time for USA navy to get to the AA batteries. That's not a bad idea.
My preference would be to have an adjustment to the xml engine so that each player doesn't get a bonus on the drop.