CCU [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Image

New fountain. Also made the shadows match, I think. I've still got to look at the chemistry art and finish the coordinates, but I thought I'd post this in the meantime so that people can comment on the fountain while I work on those.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby TitusFinn on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Too bad you can't find a better fountain...I'll see what I can do to help. I like this map, it's clever.
User avatar
Lieutenant TitusFinn
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA

Postby qeee1 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:42 pm

I'm liking the change instead of grey.

I liked the image you had of the horse for the centre... it is CCU after all, a fountain seems a little tame. Plus none of the fountain images so far have looked that good.

I think the books on the left look slightly off... perhaps a little oversized, or perhaps it's just that that image is a little too familiar to me. Definately something odd though.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
User avatar
Colonel qeee1
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: Ireland
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 pm

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/ccu15b-large.gif]Image
(Click for large version.)[/url]

And here's one with the numbers on it. I've blended the fountain a bit better now. Is it really that bad? If so, I guess this just proves I shouldn't try to draw...

qeee: I liked the horseman as well, but Andy was right about the perspective. If you can find a statue of a mounted soldier seen from overhead that looks like it would work well, I'll be happy to give it a try.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm

OK, forget the fountain: a cannon is both military and recognizable from the top!

Image

So between the cannon and the numbers, how are we doing?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Augusta on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:06 pm

Jota wrote:[url=http://grunk.org/risk/ccu15b-large.gif]Image
(Click for large version.)[/url]

And here's one with the numbers on it. I've blended the fountain a bit better now. Is it really that bad? If so, I guess this just proves I shouldn't try to draw...

qeee: I liked the horseman as well, but Andy was right about the perspective. If you can find a statue of a mounted soldier seen from overhead that looks like it would work well, I'll be happy to give it a try.


about the quad - I think it should have some patterns or something - like the footpaths have. As of now its looking very "flat and grey" and its the very first thing that meets your eye.

I like the idea of this map - but since its called Conquer Club University... couldn't there also be a "game section" - like "strategy", "tactics", "teamplay", "map design" etc... something typical for CC. Make it a little more CC and a little less "real world".

Just some thoughts though...
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
User avatar
Sergeant Augusta
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm
Location: On a cloud in the sky

Postby spiesr on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Augusta wrote:I like the idea of this map - but since its called Conquer Club University... couldn't there also be a "game section" - like "strategy", "tactics", "teamplay", "map design" etc... something typical for CC. Make it a little more CC and a little less "real world"


I agree and think all areas should be renamed to a CC theme!
Imagine swiching to football field to to a picture of the classic map!!
User avatar
Lieutenant spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Well lets see...


---Call me a crazy monkey, but I liked the fountain! I thought it looked pretty superb. As for the cannon idea, I like it also. But that particular cannon doesn't strike me. It seems to look odd in that place.

---As for more of a nod to CC...it could be a good idea. I like it, though I don't think all areas should be renamed. I think the map would lose something if every area was named in CC style. But perhaps more of nod to CC wouldn't be too hard to do. Though it still might end up being quite a bit more work time wise.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Anyone want to vote on the cannon versus the fountain? I could try to draw a cannon myself, but that seems unlikely to be especially successful.

As for renaming things... well, the biggest problem is that (at this stage) it'd mean losing some of the existing country names, and I kinda like most of the ones that are there. And really, don't all of these things figure into warfare? Building tanks in the Engineering department, making black powder in Chemistry, reading De Bello Gallico in Classics, and of course there's Cartography...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Augusta on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Well lets see...


---Call me a crazy monkey, but I liked the fountain! I thought it looked pretty superb. As for the cannon idea, I like it also. But that particular cannon doesn't strike me. It seems to look odd in that place.

---As for more of a nod to CC...it could be a good idea. I like it, though I don't think all areas should be renamed. I think the map would lose something if every area was named in CC style. But perhaps more of nod to CC wouldn't be too hard to do. Though it still might end up being quite a bit more work time wise.


--Andy


Just an idea regarding a nod more of CC.

Carparks aren't really that exciting - though its beautifully done Jota on this map.
So maybe that could instead be renamed "Gamings Skills" and transformed from tarmac to house?
Lets say with 3 or 4 "countries" named (again - just some ideas)
Strategy
Tactics
Team Skills
War Analysis... or something
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
User avatar
Sergeant Augusta
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm
Location: On a cloud in the sky

Postby Augusta on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Jota wrote:Anyone want to vote on the cannon versus the fountain? I could try to draw a cannon myself, but that seems unlikely to be especially successful.

As for renaming things... well, the biggest problem is that (at this stage) it'd mean losing some of the existing country names, and I kinda like most of the ones that are there. And really, don't all of these things figure into warfare? Building tanks in the Engineering department, making black powder in Chemistry, reading De Bello Gallico in Classics, and of course there's Cartography...


fountain gets my vote - with the grey getting some pattern/structure or whatever like the footpaths - not flat and grey

and yes - they do Jota - just thought it would be a little more CC thats all
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
User avatar
Sergeant Augusta
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:31 pm
Location: On a cloud in the sky

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:00 pm

If I made the Quad match the grassy background, would people confuse it with Athletics?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:37 pm

Perhaps not if you used a different green, and added various walk ways like mentioned. It'd be worth a shot.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25042
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:41 am

A hearty vote in favour of the 3/4 fountain over the skyview fountain and over the cannon.
User avatar
Lieutenant rocksolid
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:00 pm
Location: Mowwwnt Reeeal
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2)

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:44 am

OK, last version for tonight (maybe for good?):

Image

Revised a few country names, the Quad, and the parking lot. Unless there are significant issues, I'd like to call it finished.

[Edit: Posted before seeing rock's post. I'll keep the polls open for fountains and cannons and such. Switching between those three is a trivial change, so I won't let that keep me from calling it essentially finished if everything else looks good :)]
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Jota
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login