Conquer Club

Battle of Actium [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Coleman on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:15 am

DiM wrote:now we have
M 14 terits.....9 borders.......bonus 12
C 7 terits.......5 borders.......bonus 5
D 7 terits.......5 borders.......bonus 4
I 5 terits........4 borders.......bonus 4
S 6 terits.......4 borders.......bonus 4
CM 3 terits....2 borders........bonus 1
O 15 terits.....6 borders.......bonus 9
A 11 terits.....4 borders........bonus 6
T 9 terits.......7 borders........bonus 4
L 12 terits.....5 borders........bonus 7
CO 3 terits....3 borders........bonus 1

I agree with M and the changed image, everything else I'd like to see the bonus increased by 1 from what he said, so...

M bonus 12
C bonus 6
D bonus 5
I bonus 5
S bonus 5
CM bonus 2
O bonus 10
A bonus 7
T bonus 5
L bonus 8
CO bonus 2
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:23 pm

Guys thanks for your comments on the bonuses.
I've got a busy couple of days coming up, but will get to your considerations shortly.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 am

Any further comments on bonuses?
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:Any further comments on bonuses?

i'm ok with coleman's suggestion
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:39 pm

DiM wrote:

OK DiM....i'll look at this tomorrow...Saturday.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Hm, well this is a different visual style of map! I was about to post the names and the place being hard to understand (as the names border various army shadows), but I see after closer inspection they are grouped in pairs and cut off.

I do like the visuals, though I'm not sure about using the gold border for the blue and purple areas. Have you tried to keep it a uniformed color for all regions? I assume maybe one color can't cut it.

The ocean color is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to quite fit for me just yet. Have you tried any other variations? Is there a reason you chose this one? Maybe the tone near the title would be better, I'm not sure.

I like the land, though maybe I'd stray away from the light green and go with a little more grass. Also underneath CM is that blue grass? :)

I'd also bold all the names, not just those in the blue and purple areas. Or keep everything uniformed at least :).

And forgive me, I'm trying to get my mind around the gameplay, and I read through but must've missed this, can say Mg attack Ie? OR can it only attack Mh and Mf?

Keep up the good work!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:And forgive me, I'm trying to get my mind around the gameplay, and I read through but must've missed this, can say Mg attack Ie? OR can it only attack Mh and Mf?
Keep up the good work!
--Andy

Thanks Andy for your post.
I'll attend to those other issues later.
To answer the question above....
All terts with the exception of the large ships marked with the ballista icon can attack bordering terts as in standard RISK play.
Large ships can only act as bombardments against the other large ships.
Small ships can attack and take over the large ships, but large ships cannot attack the small ships.
That's why the legend says" Large ships marked (with the icon) can only bombard bordering similarly marked ships.
Private cairnswk

V7 Update....movement of ships and bonuses

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:57 am

DiM wrote:

DiM....after Andy's post and your and Coleman's bonus suggestions, I have re-worked some areas of the map so the some bonuses flatten more.

Below is the V7 Update.

Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:05 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I do like the visuals, though I'm not sure about using the gold border for the blue and purple areas. Have you tried to keep it a uniformed color for all regions? I assume maybe one color can't cut it.

No I didn't even try for uniform colour for all regions.
I wanted the M Antonius terts including Cleopatra to be bordered by gold.
I wanted the Romans to be bordered by that Dark Royal Red that was part of their flags. So it is deliberate and I think it works well.

The ocean color is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to quite fit for me just yet. Have you tried any other variations? Is there a reason you chose this one? Maybe the tone near the title would be better, I'm not sure.
The colour blue tone is all the same throughout. It looks different near the title possibly because of the waves. I like this tone, it offsets the other colours well.

I like the land, though maybe I'd stray away from the light green and go with a little more grass. Also underneath CM is that blue grass? :)
Well today i spent most of the day experimenting with that land colour and I can honestly say everything else looks yuk. So i left it as it was. If one puts too much texture on that area, it detracts from all the details going on there.

I'd also bold all the names, not just those in the blue and purple areas. Or keep everything uniformed at least :).
Done.!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Comments anyone?
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:58 pm

looks ok to me :roll:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:15 am

DiM wrote:looks ok to me :roll:

Are you happy with the new bonuses and arrangement of terts?
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:37 am

cairnswk wrote:

yep. that's why i said it looks ok. :)
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:15 am

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

yep. that's why i said it looks ok. :)

Thanks DiM...just making sure :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:25 am

Nevermind I figured it out. Now I understand how the ships work, but it took me a bit.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:24 pm

Coleman wrote:Nevermind I figured it out. Now I understand how the ships work, but it took me a bit.

Coleman...if it took you a bit to work out how the ships work...does something need to be made clearer in the legend?
Any suggestions?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Further comments?
Private cairnswk

V8 Update Small Changes

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:04 am

V8 Update

*Just changes to some ill-placed names
* change to Camp M Antonius Ship Bonus.

Private cairnswk

Postby Molacole on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:43 am

harro i r teh confused!!!

This map is pretty tuff to figure out. The borders for the pinkish orange color, purple pinkish color and the red (pretty much the whole left side and the bottom) don't stand out very good.

If I understand correctly can Insteius only attack G. Octavius and nothing else? It says bombard so I'm guessing that means attack. Kind of puts an attacking force in a choke hold, but might be interesting for gameplay.
Lieutenant Molacole

V9 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Molacole wrote:harro i r teh confused!!!
This map is pretty tuff to figure out. The borders for the pinkish orange color, purple pinkish color and the red (pretty much the whole left side and the bottom) don't stand out very good.

Hi Molacole, I'll see what I can do with that.
EDIT \\ see map below V9 all ships have been bordered with Egyptian Gold.

If I understand correctly can Insteius only attack G. Octavius and nothing else? It says bombard so I'm guessing that means attack. Kind of puts an attacking force in a choke hold, but might be interesting for gameplay.

Insteius can only bombard G Octavius, and vice versa, they cannot board each others ship; it is like a stop-gap measure which means that you have to attack and take over the small ships around it before you can conquer it. so if you are Ic and you want to take over G Octavius, you have to conquer Mb, Mc or Ma and attack G Octavius and take over G Octavius from Ma or Mc. G Octavius cannot attack or bombard you as a small ship.
This also means that if you are savy, you'll conquer the large ships right away because they can bring the extra bonuses which can thus mean a quick game. :)

V9 Update
* small change to the instructions about large ships to clarify.
Private cairnswk

Re: V9 Update

Postby Molacole on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:07 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Molacole wrote:harro i r teh confused!!!

Hi Molacole, I'll see what I can do with that.
EDIT \\ see map below V9 all ships have been bordered with Egyptian Gold.

Insteius can only bombard G Octavius, and vice versa, they cannot board each others ship; it is like a stop-gap measure which means that you have to attack and take over the small ships around it before you can conquer it. so if you are Ic and you want to take over G Octavius, you have to conquer Mb, Mc or Ma and attack G Octavius and take over G Octavius from Ma or Mc. G Octavius cannot attack or bombard you as a small ship.
This also means that if you are savy, you'll conquer the large ships right away because they can bring the extra bonuses which can thus mean a quick game. :)

V9 Update
* small change to the instructions about large ships to clarify.

ah ha I get it now! So if you start off with G octavius and have no other troops around then all you can do is weaken, but not advance troops to insteius boat. You also cannot attack the small ships so you have to be catious of how many troops you use to protect your borders so you have enough troops in attacking position!

In theory you could force somebody into surrender if you trap them only on the "Admiral" boats then right?

The gold makes it a lot easier to understand territory borders, but I think the map looked better with the other color. Easier to understand this way, but better visually the other. Not sure what you want to do about that one.
Lieutenant Molacole

Re: V9 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Molacole wrote:ah ha I get it now! So if you start off with G octavius and have no other troops around then all you can do is weaken, but not advance troops to insteius boat.

yes this is correct.

You also cannot attack the small ships so you have to be catious of how many troops you use to protect your borders so you have enough troops in attacking position!
In theory you could force somebody into surrender if you trap them only on the "Admiral" boats then right?

No this is not correct. You can attack the bordering small ships from the large ones.

The gold makes it a lot easier to understand territory borders, but I think the map looked better with the other color. Easier to understand this way, but better visually the other. Not sure what you want to do about that one.

I'll change the borders to the other colour and we'll see which is better.
I prefer the gold myself knowing that it stands for the gold of Egypt.
Private cairnswk

V10 Update

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:58 pm

V10 Update

I changed the colour of the borders around all the small ships to the Roman Dark Red. Unfortunately it doesn't provide the same clarity to the borders that the gold provides as in V9 above.
I think we'll be sticking with gold as the borders from V9.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Is there not one person interested in commenting on this map?
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 pm

Cairnswk, I think you are suffering from over saturation. You've just too many damn maps in production, people don't know where to go to post! ;)

I actually like the dark red, instead of the gold...at least somewhat. The gold seemed to stand out tooooo much, (though that was partly the point of it, correct?)

And on the latest image, Mi and Sd army circles look smaller. I'm not sure if it's in your masterfile, as the map with the gold images doesn't suffer from the problem.

And just because I'm curious, would you mind posting an image with 3 digit army coordinates? I think the way the coordinates are set up, there shouldn't be any overlapping or interfering with each other, but do any overlap names?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas