Conquer Club

Feudal War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Feudal War [Quenched]

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:04 am

LARGE

SMALL

XML
http://h1.ripway.com/gimil/feudalwar.xml

Each terr has a number. For teh purpose of identifing the terrs there will be a scaled down map put into the legends which will have names of sections of land that relate to teh numbers.

so heres how it goes. Everyone starts with

4,5,6 players = one castle
3 player = two castles
2 player = three castles

and the objective of the game is to conquer all the castles on the map. (not elimanate each player)

with the new XML the castles will have a number of troops automatically deployed onto the castle.

Theres is villages with if u take over will produce more men for your amry which will be automatically deploy on the village. and there will be a gold mine and merc camp which you must hols both of for an extra bonus

oh and theres no continent bonuses
Last edited by gimil on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:11 am, edited 46 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:44 am

i already told you in the pm i like the concept but i do think you need more then just villages and gold mines. do something like the HOMM series. with lumber mills, crystal pools, treant forests and hobbit borrows. since you have 100+ terits why not split the 6 castles in 6 races each with it's own landscape graphics and various resource spots.

like a treant forrest would give a nice bonus to the elf castle.

also you can further add strategy by making some negative bonuses.

for example a player that starts in the zombie castle will receive bonus if he has the graveyard. but taking something from the elves gives a neg bonus.

you could also split the 6 races into 3 types life death and spirit.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 am

i understand that im jst not a fan of teh fantasy theme u want. id rather keep it realistic and a bit simpler than u want. i want strategy to ne more involved than holding bonuses
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:09 am

gimil wrote:i understand that im jst not a fan of teh fantasy theme u want. id rather keep it realistic and a bit simpler than u want. i want strategy to ne more involved than holding bonuses

ok. the fantasy theme was just an idea. you could always go for gold mines and lumber mills instead of treant forest and hobbit burrows. :D
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:28 am

yeah i like the idea but i want everything that gives bonuses to be relateds to an army recuiting. like the villagers will joni the army. with the gold mine villagers are egar to join which ill increase the amount deployed on villages.

maby make something like a mercenarie camp that gives a good bonuses?

however i still want the castle to produce the bulk of the army.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:49 am

gimil wrote:yeah i like the idea but i want everything that gives bonuses to be relateds to an army recuiting. like the villagers will joni the army. with the gold mine villagers are egar to join which ill increase the amount deployed on villages.

maby make something like a mercenarie camp that gives a good bonuses?

however i still want the castle to produce the bulk of the army.

i get it. that's good. mercenary camp.

a weapon smith or an armor smith could be nice. especially if bonuses for defending or attacking rolls are added.

own the weapon smith and you get +1 for the attacking dice :twisted:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:55 am

that would be nice but i think ill stick with what possible jsut now ;).im thinking for teh castle grounds i can have a grassy look like a tine of the castle color. Like in san fran only not as noticeable.

i also think that ill introduce a swamp which will take -1 off the armies on that territory. representing trops lost in the swamp.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:27 pm

I like the premise of this map. I like the 90-120 territory approach also. It would need to be much larger than current resctrictions allow, but I'm sure World2 is an exception also.

One thing I think is that I like it with the more medievel theme than the fantasy. Someone should do a revamp of the Middle Earth map for that. Also, name the castle something other than by color, starting positions should be random to keep one spot from having an advatage somewhere.

Also, I would like to see more space between the castles, so that none actually border each other. Then put nuetral areas between them. Another part of this is that every castle has an 'Estate' of surrounding territories. Control of the castles get armies but controllong the estate does as well. You also can't claim the estate bonus without holding the castle. This keeps a seiging army from gaining your bonus while you are still holed up and resisting.

As for resources the only limiting factor is the fact that we can't have "multiple unit types." An idea I posted in the XML thread. As it where there are a few ways to go.

Merc Camps are good, if they are only along the river. But mercs would require gold. Probably 2 gold to get one batch of mercs. They are expensive and bring their own gear.

The second way is through Barracks. These recruits local men. They would still need gold but only 1 per batch. But this is where the resources come in to play.

Raising troops means they need wood (for spears, wagons, etc.), livestock (horses and cows, for pulling wagons, food, and leather [used for armor]), grain (to feed men and horse), and metal (for weapon tips and armor).

If you use Merc Camps and Barracks you also need gold, wood, livestock, grain, and metal. If almost every territory had a resource you could have enough to raise a batch of men. You would also need to limit gold and metal as they would be the two key resources. What I mean is there shouldn't be so much of either that you can buy/raise huge armies to rampage through the map.

In all I like the map and idea and would like to see another version. Also, I tend to ramble and if something I said isn't clear please ask me to clarify.

JK
"Oh Shit!" George Armstrong Custer, 25 June 1876.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:31 pm

DiM wrote:
a weapon smith or an armor smith could be nice. especially if bonuses for defending or attacking rolls are added.

own the weapon smith and you get +1 for the attacking dice :twisted:

I tried this in the XML thread, called it Tactical Dice or something. Was told that there was no tinkering with the actual dice. Or the number of dice.

My idea was that certain geographic, man-made defensive positions would cause the attacker to only get 2 dice instead of three.

I also had the idea that certain defensive positions would get to roll 3 dice instead of two.

All where shot down since Lack won't mess with the dice. Which is understandable, but doesn't seem like it would be hard to (add 1, subtract 2) adjust dice.

Too bad we don't program. :D

JK

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:59 pm

JupitersKing wrote: Also, name the castle something other than by color, starting positions should be random to keep one spot from having an advatage somewhere.

this was jsut so there was a better idea of how tha mp is set out i wouldnt actually keep those naems :wink:

JupitersKing wrote:Also, I would like to see more space between the castles, so that none actually border each other. Then put nuetral areas between them. Another part of this is that every castle has an 'Estate' of surrounding territories. Control of the castles get armies but controllong the estate does as well. You also can't claim the estate bonus without holding the castle. This keeps a seiging army from gaining your bonus while you are still holed up and resisting.

im not a fan of the estate bonuse not becasue its a bad idea, but rather tthat i would like to move away from teh old fashioned continent idea and move onto a morerealistic feel.

JupitersKing wrote:Merc Camps are good, if they are only along the river. But mercs would require gold. Probably 2 gold to get one batch of mercs. They are expensive and bring their own gear.

The second way is through Barracks. These recruits local men. They would still need gold but only 1 per batch. But this is where the resources come in to play.

Raising troops means they need wood (for spears, wagons, etc.), livestock (horses and cows, for pulling wagons, food, and leather [used for armor]), grain (to feed men and horse), and metal (for weapon tips and armor).

i dont think collectiong gold to buy these with is possible with current XML. but if its made a bonuse with merc camp+gold mine, then i think it'll be sufficient.

i also feel all these resources are a bit much and might be difficult to explain in ledgends, but ill keep them in mind and put them in where i see possible

Thanxs for you feedback youve gave me plenty to think about :wink:
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Sparqs on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:45 pm

Another YES vote for this concept.

For the resource bonuses, how about a simplified set?
Something like:
Mercenary Camp (a few, edge areas) = X
Gold Mine = Y
Mercenaries + Gold = Z

Blacksmith (1 per castle) = A
Iron Mine = B
Blacksmith + Iron = C

Village (1+ per castle) = D
Farmland (between castles) = E
Village + Farmland = F
Sergeant Sparqs

Postby gimil on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:37 am

Sparqs wrote:Another YES vote for this concept.

For the resource bonuses, how about a simplified set?
Something like:
Mercenary Camp (a few, edge areas) = X
Gold Mine = Y
Mercenaries + Gold = Z

Blacksmith (1 per castle) = A
Iron Mine = B
Blacksmith + Iron = C

Village (1+ per castle) = D
Farmland (between castles) = E
Village + Farmland = F

The idea i had was:

villages=X
villahers+gold min=X
merc camp+gold mine=X

however teh merc ca,p and villages would start with a large nutral army which would represnt the kingdom having to take over teh village/merc camp.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Steel Panzer on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:48 am

long live the XML code, many interresting maps are tryed every day. keep up the good work!
Corporal 1st Class Steel Panzer

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:41 am

ive also ca,e up with the idea that the castle can "bombard" any terr in its own "estate" to try and push of a siege of there castle
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Spockers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:53 am

ideas forum
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:30 am

Spockers wrote:ideas forum

its not an idea its in development :wink:
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Spockers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:25 am

no it's an idea.

you know how the new forums work?
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:28 am

i dont paticullary care how the new forum works ;)

this ideas im development so im keepping it right here.

try giving some decent feedback for a change all u do it go into other maps and complain im struggling to find any positive fedback from you in this place.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:37 am

gimil wrote:this ideas im development so im keepping it right here.

Well, that's not really up to you. :wink:

I understand you intend to develop the map gimil, but for the time being it is still a map idea. I've decided to get proactive on moving some threads to try and encourage people to post their ideas in the appropriate forum. I was waiting for the announcement to be ready which would explain the whole process, but I think if we've got the Map Ideas forum here, we might as well use it properly.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:40 am

sorry KEYOGI i wasnt aware of teh new procedure. I jsut assumed teh map idea was for like the "ideas free to a good home"
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:57 am

Sorry about the confusion gimil. That's why I was hoping to wait until the announcement and the establishment of a new Map Ideas: Free to a Good Home thread. I felt something needed to be done now though.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby JupitersKing on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 pm

gimil wrote:
JupitersKing wrote: Also, name the castle something other than by color, starting positions should be random to keep one spot from having an advatage somewhere.

this was jsut so there was a better idea of how tha mp is set out i wouldnt actually keep those naems :wink:

JupitersKing wrote:Also, I would like to see more space between the castles, so that none actually border each other. Then put nuetral areas between them. Another part of this is that every castle has an 'Estate' of surrounding territories. Control of the castles get armies but controllong the estate does as well. You also can't claim the estate bonus without holding the castle. This keeps a seiging army from gaining your bonus while you are still holed up and resisting.

im not a fan of the estate bonuse not becasue its a bad idea, but rather tthat i would like to move away from teh old fashioned continent idea and move onto a morerealistic feel.

JupitersKing wrote:Merc Camps are good, if they are only along the river. But mercs would require gold. Probably 2 gold to get one batch of mercs. They are expensive and bring their own gear.

i dont think collectiong gold to buy these with is possible with current XML. but if its made a bonuse with merc camp+gold mine, then i think it'll be sufficient.

i also feel all these resources are a bit much and might be difficult to explain in ledgends, but ill keep them in mind and put them in where i see possible

Thanxs for you feedback youve gave me plenty to think about :wink:

gimil wrote:ive also ca,e up with the idea that the castle can "bombard" any terr in its own "estate" to try and push of a siege of there castle

Castle Names... I don't care what they are named, what I didn't want to see was set starting positions by color.

Estate Bonuses... Realism/Continents. I see this map without continents, very easily. However, in the good old days the lord did have an estate surrounding him and his castle. I'm only suggesting a small band of 3-5 vassals around the castle with a small (+2 or 3) bonus.

I like the bombardment idea. Would help represent the use of archers and seige weapons.

Resource Collection... Having too many isn't going to work, you're right. But even if you cut it down to the minimum you can't stockpile. It's a x+y=z formula.

Merc Camp space + 2 gold spaces + Wood space (or even an armory space) = a brigade of men (assuming one army is a regiment).

With this as the basis for reinforcements (to replace continents) each brigade group would need to be of 3-5 armies each.

Again you couldn't raise more batches than you have camps or villages/barracks.

* When can we expect a rough draft?

JK
Last edited by JupitersKing on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby JupitersKing on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Oh yeah, call it

FEUDAL LORDS.
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:24 am

i was donig a ruff draft i jsut havent do it on photoshop yet. hopefully ill ahve it up in a couple of days.

but so far i have over 70 terrs
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:33 am

I like "Feudal Lords" or "Feudal Wars" or something similar.

C.

PS Go Gimil - I'm loving this map - hence why I'm doing the XML for ya.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Next

Return to The Atlas