Conquer Club

South America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

South America [Quenched]

Postby edbeard on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:48 pm

Last edited by edbeard on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 am, edited 27 times in total.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby dominationnation on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 pm

just from my first look I woul have to say it looks pretty good. I want it changed so that north is facing up but that is just cause I cant tell that its south america this way. The river is a little fuzzy. You might want to make the mountain passes a little more realistic. You could try something like what cainswick did. the river passes are ok though. Some of the army circles look a little off from the territory. Othe than those small points this map looks great for a first draft :D
Cook dominationnation

Postby mibi on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:56 am

this map will never make it with south america on its side. you will get endless complaints.
Captain mibi

Postby edbeard on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:16 am

mibi wrote:this map will never make it with south america on its side. you will get endless complaints.

well, we both know that because of the height restrictions, it's not possible to have South America in that direction. Unless, I want to make this a tiny tiny map, and that would be horrible.

So, I will take on all complainers and carry on despite!
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:52 am

try moving the map at more of an angle like my portugalmap. it will probably still not look right but i think it will be better sitting at about a 55 degree angle than how its sitting jsut now
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:18 am

edbeard wrote:
mibi wrote:this map will never make it with south america on its side. you will get endless complaints.

well, we both know that because of the height restrictions, it's not possible to have South America in that direction. Unless, I want to make this a tiny tiny map, and that would be horrible.

So, I will take on all complainers and carry on despite!

My proof against the existance of god:

You have to wander why did god if he was omniscient did not design south america on it side, for this very reason?
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby edbeard on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm

gimil wrote:try moving the map at more of an angle like my portugalmap. it will probably still not look right but i think it will be better sitting at about a 55 degree angle than how its sitting jsut now

no offense to your map, but I'm not a fan of that style.

Because of your suggestion, I did try it to see how it looked, and I was not swayed. It's not a matter of just not liking it. It's a strong dislike. And, I'm not going to present something that I don't like of course.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Wisse on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:44 pm

at least rotate it a bit back (it can still have those formats you have now but it does look more like s.america) and i don't mean 45Ā° but more like 10Ā°
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:17 pm

edbeard....i don't like the map on its side, can you rotate it?
Also i can also understand what you're tryting to achieve, but is there a river that runs all the way from Recife down to the Rio del la Plata? I think you'll find these are two separate river system that have their sources in the highlands behind Rio....apart from that...good start! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:53 pm

It's taller than the "recommended" height, but it's shorter than World 2.1

to do:
1. change style of rivers.

to cairns, it doesn't connect, no, but it comes close and I could have it end so that becomes the connection between Salvador and Brasilia but I like this better. ill take away the connection and see how it looks.

2. increase pink and/or green bonus

3. have a blending border on the bridge between Iquitos and Boa Vista

4. steal more of cairnswk's ideas (so far I have mountain passes and line bridges, soon I'll have a blended border over a bridge)

5. sharpen compass. white borders around text.

6. move Ushuaia's circle so that the blue shows beneath
Last edited by edbeard on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby dominationnation on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 pm

It is looking better already. I mush perfer the angle this way. After looking at it carfully I noticed a strange texture in the lighter colored areas. It looks quite strange if you really looks at it.
Cook dominationnation

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:15 pm

it looks good, but i think you should chang your colors. they are too bright
Major lanyards

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:02 am

edbeard...good on you! :)
i don't know about the forum, but i have not probs with the height if it is shorter than world 2.1, but that is up to the forum.
It looks much better already....really pleased. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

I have an opinion on this

Postby Solus on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:41 am

Map design aside I don't like the overly bright colors of this map I like the purple near the south but... well tone it down. Other than that I'd have to say I'd get confused if it were small and I couldn't read the text so I think turning it on it's side would be a great idea to save space. :idea:
You don't have an income like mine, plus you've never even ridden in my amazing rocket car... Maybe if I get bored I'll bench press it for you.

Click here to get turned into a monster http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=76785
Corporal Solus

Re: I have an opinion on this

Postby RobinJ on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 am

Solus wrote:Map design aside I don't like the overly bright colors of this map I like the purple near the south but... well tone it down. Other than that I'd have to say I'd get confused if it were small and I couldn't read the text so I think turning it on it's side would be a great idea to save space. :idea:

Get a new avatar! That's twice now I've looked and thought you were AK Iceman. Other than that, I agree with everything you have said about the map.
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby Solus on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:03 am

RobinJ wrote:
Solus wrote:Map design aside I don't like the overly bright colors of this map I like the purple near the south but... well tone it down. Other than that I'd have to say I'd get confused if it were small and I couldn't read the text so I think turning it on it's side would be a great idea to save space. :idea:

Get a new avatar! That's twice now I've looked and thought you were AK Iceman. Other than that, I agree with everything you have said about the map.

My bad... How's this one I just sorta like the other one didn't realize I had it on the same site as someone else.
You don't have an income like mine, plus you've never even ridden in my amazing rocket car... Maybe if I get bored I'll bench press it for you.

Corporal Solus

Postby RobinJ on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:27 am

Solus wrote:
RobinJ wrote:

My bad... How's this one I just sorta like the other one didn't realize I had it on the same site as someone else.

Brilliant! :lol:
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby Solus on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 am

RobinJ wrote:
Solus wrote:
RobinJ wrote:

Brilliant! :lol:

Why thank you! :3

Corporal Solus

Postby edbeard on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:31 am

hey you two, please keep this thread on topic.

changed the river style and added the gap cairnswk talked about. made a few other changes but I don't what they were
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

Hey Ed did you see the other SA thread?
Captain Gilligan

Postby edbeard on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 pm

did you notice it had no posts since January until some joker decided to bump it?

nice to see all this great feedback
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby thegeneralpublic on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Just a note: with the placement of "Boa Vista" and the river, it almost looks like that one small section of it is a completely different country. Not a major issue, just a visual one.

EDIT: Nvm. It's gone with that update up a few posts. My bad.
Last edited by thegeneralpublic on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet thegeneralpublic

Postby Coleman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Hey Edbeard, can I steal your mountains and rivers textures/images for New World. I'll probably replace them with my own later, but for placeholders until I get less lazy?

EDIT: Also, I like the map as it is now.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby edbeard on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:47 pm

yea go for it coleman
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Coleman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 pm

edbeard wrote:yea go for it coleman

Thanks a ton. I'm anxious to see what the more critical members of the foundry have to say when they notice this. Hopefully they ask for things you can do.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Next

Return to The Atlas