South America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:04 am

thanks jako for the comments

regarding your bonus talk I think you misread something I said

I'm still working on the rivers I forgot to mention that. I agree they are crap.

Panama is not technically part of South America so we said bye bye to it

I'll wait see if others agree with your other comments

repost of v11 for ease of viewing:
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:16 am

The Suriname & Guyanas names aren't that well placed with their territories - the problem is that to move them would be to move your sea route - so I can't see a solution at the mo?!

C.

PS - I like the new slightly darker look though...
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:16 am

you need to put the darker colors back, and maybe take out a peice of
the andes mountins so teh bonus is harder to keep.

keep working on this, it looks very good.
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:22 am

It's hard to tell where puerto asen ends or begins, since it's so skinny, i suggest you get rid of some mountains to make it a bit more visible / noticeable.
Cook unriggable

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Coleman on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39 am

I agree with the mountains, 6 or 8 of them could be nudged right a bit.

The 6 I pointed at and possibly a few more north of the upmost arrow.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby mibi on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:31 am

I dont like the 'shading', its extraneous and not executed very well.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:06 pm

mibi wrote:I dont like the 'shading', its extraneous and not executed very well.

would you mind being more specific about what you don't like exactly and if there's any shading of the continent colours that you do like?

one thing I like about Andes is that the shading touches Panama so when it hits that dead area it's not as abrupt looking (at least to me)
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:37 pm

edbeard...i haven't seen this map for a while....looking very good now....
from a design viewpoint, would you consider:
* downsizing the legend two or three points so that "G Highlands" is a little further away from the names of terts Rio Grande and Uruguay...i consider them to be a little too close;
* also your names in red doesn't particularly "gel" with the rest of the title colours and compass in that area.
* would you consider adding sparsely some white/gray caps to the southern most mountains around Mendoza and Santa Cruz - a little touch of realism
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby I GOT SERVED on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm

Firstly, I'm very excited to see a South America map in the works. But I have a few critiques:

-The background colors seem a little too..."glossy", for lack of a better word. I like the gray tint, but the extra white shine seems a bit too much.

-There needs to be more of a color difference between B. Highlands and Pampas. While I can distinguish that they're different colors, possibly making it more of a distinguished finish would be nicer.

Thanks.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Major I GOT SERVED

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:45 pm

mibi wrote:I dont like the 'shading', its extraneous and not executed very well.

I agree with this.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:17 pm

changes:

1. Water routes in the north. I changed the one going to F de N, but more importantly I gave on last go to the 'ceara to wherever the hell I sent it' route. I think it looks better and I hope I'm done with that damn thing.

2. Rivers. I think they have depth now and look much better. Hopefully others feel the same way. (You better or I'll hate you forever).

3a. Mountains. I moved them east starting from somewhere south of the La Rioja label. I'm going to remove those mountains that jump out by the Tucuman label.

3b. Mountain tops. I did it just in the south. How do you think it looks (especially cairns sine he asked for it)? Should I put it on all the mountains or perhaps keep doing so but with lesser intensity until some point where it fades out? (actually that sounds like too much work!)

BTW. I know I missed a couple tops and I can see the weird black line so I'll fix that later. I just want to know if cairns or others like how it looks.
BTW. I know I missed a couple tops and I can see the weird black line so I'll fix that later. I just want to know if cairns or others like how it looks.

4. Cartographer names. They're still a shade of red, but this darkened version fits a lot better I hope.

5. Legend. Cut down the text size by 2.5 or so points.

6. Shading. I quite liked how it was, but I cut it down quite a bit. So, mibi and rk how do you this? As for the yellow region being next to the orange, well I think they are quite easily distinguished, but if many others bring this up I guess I'll have to rethink it.

7. Switched the location of Santa Cruz label and the army circle so it's more uniform with other label and circle locations in the area.

8. Moved Japura label down so it doesn't mask the river border.
Major edbeard

Postby mibi on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:03 pm

The shading merely muddies the colors more than it accomplishes and graphical pleasantry.
Captain mibi

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby casper on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Some constructive criticism... sorry I haven't read through the whole thread.

Overall map looks too dark/gray. The land shading is way overdone. Ocean should be bluer.. more intense.

The fonts are pretty boring..especially the legend and title. And the territory fonts are the same as Caribbean Sea font.

Army circles are too dark.
Colonel casper

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 am

mibi wrote:The shading merely muddies the colors more than it accomplishes and graphical pleasantry.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:59 am

ok here are some suggestions for you:
1) the shading is ugly , delete it or just put it at the sea borders
2) army shades don't look good, i think white whit a 70 transparant does look better, but if you like the army shades then its good, the army shades are nothing big now ;)
3) the rivers have depth on the wrong way, they now look like hills
4) the mountains look ugly, why? because these reasons: you have picked/made a to low quality mountain, there are to much of them thats why all my atention goes to the mountains instad of the countries, they look like vulcanoes
5) the sea routes are not good, thet just doesn't have the same style as your map, that is also for the bridges i am sure you can do more than 2 stripes and a few dots?
6) also something behind the legend would be nice, but if you don't want that, please change the bleu color abit then, so its readable

thats all for now :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:39 pm

I've independently decided to get rid of the shading. Not because 4 people in a row said they hated them...........

Army shades look fine when they have numbers on top of them. The dark circles work well with the rest of the map.

I don't see how the sea routes and bridges don't have the same style as the rest of the map. Other people seem to think they are fine.

Like the army circles, the ocean works well with the rest of the map. I'll see if I can do something with the blue colour of Patagonia to make it clearer.

I like the 'boring' text. The good thing about the territory text is that when I resize the map it stays clear. With all the spacing issues, that's very important.

I don't see how you think the rivers look like hills? Seems totally the opposite to me.
Major edbeard

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 pm

just curious if people feel the same way about the shading on this older version from quite a while ago. I ask because I quite like the shading, especially from this older version I'm providing and honestly the more I think about it the more I feel that it's something I really want.

Don't comment on this map except for the shading. It's an older version and I've provided the latest update below.
Don't comment on this map except for the shading. It's an older version and I've provided the latest update below.

Major edbeard

Postby BelJoDoe on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:10 pm

I understand and in-part agree with you. The older image looks nice but it looks less real. I would liken it to looking at a surrealist's painting... it looks nice, I could put it on my wall but I wouldn't use it to plan a war against South America. The shading on the newer image makes it look dirtier (in a good way), more real and also more 'physical'.

I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted to hear. You should know that I like the look of both. Keep up the good work.
Captain BelJoDoe

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:28 pm

I don't like the rivers. In a lot of ways they look like they float on the land instead of being dug into the land. Not sure how you would correct that. :(
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 pm

I still say they don't float on the land. But, I think what I'll try to do is get all of the rivers to share the look of the one that goes from La Paz to just west of Para. That seems to be the least intense one.
Major edbeard

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 am

The shading is an interesting thought, but the map feels more like there is 'dirt' and 'grime' on it...with the shading.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:21 am

edbeard wrote:I still say they don't float on the land. But, I think what I'll try to do is get all of the rivers to share the look of the one that goes from La Paz to just west of Para. That seems to be the least intense one.

edbeard...if i can give my viewpoint about the rivers, i have to agree with coleman (and not for the sake of agreeing with him either) but to me they do look like ribbons of plastic sitting on top of the map. sorry. :(
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 am

don't worry cairns I'll just hold it against you. I hate you all.

Changes:

1. New Rivers.

2. No Shading

3. Removed the weird mountains that I'm not sure how they got there

(I was just kidding about that stuff up top in case people couldn't tell. I value all of your opinions)

edit: Looking at Panama I think it looks very strange without the shading leading into it. Maybe I should just fill it in black or try out another colour instead of the one I have. Suggestions? Thoughts?
Major edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 am

ed beard...i know that u luv us all LOL....

*Those rivers look a "little" better....if i may...one way to fix this is to have the river layer running underneath the tert layer, it just means that you have to draw black borders on those terts that border the river...its a little extra work but it does work very well....and looks real...i used this in BfA and had no probs.

* like the snow caps... they look excellent. :)

* only thing is the legend...fixed in the old map, but not in this one.

* I do think the map looks better wihtout the shadows, IMHO.

Good work! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:55 am

what's wrong with the legend? It looks the same to me?

I'll try out the river suggestion. thanks.
Major edbeard

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas