[Official] Montreal REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby tallfella27 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:00 pm

Try fixing the blurry text by increasing the font tracking a bit ... that'll give you a little more space between letters
Corporal tallfella27

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:00 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
d.gishman wrote:the small version of the map's text is a little blurry
does anyone else see this as an issue. if so I will try to fix it.

WM...yes I find the tert names blurry...i think it has to do with the black behind them in conjunction with the font used.
maybe if you expanded them on the horizontal scaler and made the white more brilliant.
Also is there any chance you would consider reducing the size of the Lac St Louis to the same size as the river and other Lac on the map. I find my eye keeps being drawn to that name, and overrides the tert names.
I must say though, the colours are excellent.
Can anyone tell what that gray area is with all the white lines and buildings, a university or such like?
This is really looking very improved. :)
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 pm

I used the same size text for both the large and small map. It gets rid of the blurriness
XML:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... real_6.xml

Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Well the map is looking quite well! The font on the small map still isn't working for me. I'm not sure of the particular reason...but my eyes don't seem to like it!

Regarding the legend, could you make the text there a little easier to read? It might be the gray lettering and the black outline that isn't working so well there, but if you could make it a little clearer that would be superb!

And I'd maybe consider making the bridges a hair bit bigger, just so they can stand out a little more (at least the small version would benefit from this).

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Final Forge

---The Montreal REVAMP has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry furnace and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. There will be at least two days (but may extend pass that) for you to post any objections; if no one has posted any protest after two days the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. If after two days there is still discussion going on it may continue until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 pm

Agree text is hard to read on small and legend...

Also the yellow in the legend is harsh with the letters...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:55 am

OK.

I switched the white and black around on the text. I think it is much better now. Both the legend and the territory names are less fuzzy and more clear to read.

Colonel WidowMakers

Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:56 am

Much better.

Nice work.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:30 pm

I think this opposite effect you have going is much better than the previous, though I'd maybe consider making the black of the text darker! :)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Hmm... I'm suprised this new text is more supported than the old. The previous versions text provided a nice contrast that made the text easy to read, it really stood out from the map. This new font and it's effects are very bad for my eyes as the text almost seems to bleed onto the map, rather than stand out from it.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Qwert on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:46 pm

The letters is very light,can be more darken?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby Teya on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:57 pm

I prefer the previous text as well. I can barely read the small map with the new text.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:21 am

Teya wrote:I prefer the previous text as well. I can barely read the small map with the new text.

I agree. However I don't particularly like the previous text either, so could you try some other text options that are more legible?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:56 am

The new text is the exact same font as the old. All I did was make the new style black with a white glow. (Instead of white with a black glow). I will see what happens when I make the text bolder.
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:56 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Teya wrote:I prefer the previous text as well. I can barely read the small map with the new text.

I agree. However I don't particularly like the previous text either, so could you try some other text options that are more legible?

Completely disagree - the new text is much more legible?!

Weird... bit like Marmite... some like - some hate!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 am

yeti_c wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

Completely disagree - the new text is much more legible?!

Weird... bit like Marmite... some like - some hate!!

C.

As I said I don't like the text used in both versions. Maybe a new font would be better. Why not make a selection of 4 or 5 fonts and put up a poll so that people can vote for the best one?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:11 pm

I knew my idea of switching it to a black font with white glow would come around eventually :lol: :D :lol: :D
i really like the map widowmakers...much improved from the original
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Just look at the text in LaSalle (West End) as a clear example. Maybe it has something to do with eyesight, but I find that label really difficult to read, whereas it couldn't be clearer with the older text.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:06 pm

I will do a couple different things with the text and post them tomorrow. Aside from the text, are there any other issues? If not then once the text is agreed upon we should be set.

Thanks for the input everyone.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby hulmey on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:45 am

some of your border lines are blurred and faint....Noticed quite a few in the purple continent of the big map!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:42 pm

OK here are 4 different styles. Two fonts and each font has two styles

My fav is #2. Easy to read both large and small
1)
Image Image
2)
3)
4)

hulmey wrote:some of your border lines are blurred and faint....Noticed quite a few in the purple continent of the big map!!
I don't think it is really an issue. If others do, I will thicken them. I really just wanted to get the text thing settled. Once that is done I will get on this if others feel it is of value.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 pm

i like both numbers 2 and 4, but i think that number 2 is the easiest to read, and just looks nicer. it just has a montreal feel to it :D
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby d.gishman on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 pm

2 is definitely the best one. I wouldn't mind 3 either.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 pm

2 or 3, I'd go with one of those. :)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby edbeard on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm

2 on the large map
3 on the small map
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas