Conquer Club

RAIL USA [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 pm

Why are the first three letters of each line in the key underlined?
Major Night Strike

Postby gimil on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:14 pm

to show who your are attacking.

e.g.

COA SEA would be the orange terr on the costal starlight line (very north west coner)

The reason teh COA is needed is becasue SEA has more than one terr. the XML wont understand 2 terrs of the same name.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Ok. Thanks. I'm liking the map, although the small map is really small. Any chance its size could be increased a bit?
Major Night Strike

Postby gimil on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:18 pm

I dont really feel there a need to increase its size. Everythnig seems snug in teh small map. But if theres still disagrement i suppose a small increase wouldnt hurt
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:49 pm

gimil wrote:Oh i understood how the bonus worked i thought the legends was trying to explin something diffirent :oops:

lol well thats fine

yes...well gimil...one thing i've learned from previous maps is to keep new concepts simple and this is a new concept...i think. :) or mayb e just a variation on an old concept.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm really liking the look of this map!

The latest legend is a little hard to read. I think it is because of the relatively light on light colors. Maybe more a black outline around the text? Would you maybe also consider boldening even more the 3 key letters? Hm, that might be rather unecessary though. :)

Also, would you make the station clock midnight? :) The only one you can really read is the large display +6 picture, as the others are too small (At least on the small map).

But I think this map is coming along quite nicely! The saddest thing, I wish I had time to play on all these new maps as they come out, but time keeps dwindling. :)

Keep up the goodwork!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm really liking the look of this map!

The latest legend is a little hard to read. I think it is because of the relatively light on light colors. Maybe more a black outline around the text? Would you maybe also consider boldening even more the 3 key letters? Hm, that might be rather unecessary though. :)

Also, would you make the station clock midnight? :) The only one you can really read is the large display +6 picture, as the others are too small (At least on the small map).

But I think this map is coming along quite nicely! The saddest thing, I wish I had time to play on all these new maps as they come out, but time keeps dwindling. :)

Keep up the goodwork!

--Andy

LOL...thanks Andy, and thanks to WM for the great graphics.
Andy...i can only say on thing to you...you've GOT TO MAKE the time to play! :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:47 am

i just realized a big problem with the mixed train stations.

at the moment 88 fits ok but what happens when people reach 3 digit armies? they'll overlap. :wink:

PS: i love the moon
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:42 am

DiM wrote:i just realized a big problem with the mixed train stations.
at the moment 88 fits ok but what happens when people reach 3 digit armies? they'll overlap. :wink:

I'm not saying that situation may never arise.
I ask you....do you think it is absolutely necessary to change the whole design to suit something that may only arise on one or two ocassions?
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:16 pm

cairnswk wrote:

I ask you....do you think it is absolutely necessary to change the whole design to suit something that may only arise on one or two ocassions?

I use the colourblind greasemonkey thing (I'm not colourblind, but it makes things simpler), so it will probably overlap every single time. just saying
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:23 pm

Widowmaker is insane. Does he get paid by CC?
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 pm

edbeard wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I use the colourblind greasemonkey thing (I'm not colourblind, but it makes things simpler), so it will probably overlap every single time. just saying

Hi edbeard....yes i have been thinking about this...and i'll ask WM is we can adjust the size of those boxes to accommodate that extra digit. I don't think it should be too much trouble.
Private cairnswk

Postby empire builder on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:54 pm

this map is sweet. they better accept it if they know whats good for them.
Private empire builder

Re: .

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:19 pm

empire builder wrote:this map is sweet. they better accept it if they know whats good for them.

So nice of you to drop by empire builder....of course you've got vested interests in this map haven't you? LOL :) :D
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:21 pm

RjBeals wrote:Widowmaker is insane. Does he get paid by CC?

Hi RjBeals...does this mean you like this map?
You'd have to ask Wm about your question. :wink:
Private cairnswk

Current version V8

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:31 pm

This is current version. I have emailed WM about certain issues that need amending including:
* the backgrond for the signs
* the size of the station army boxes.
* the colour of the Pioneer line.

I have written the xml up to the point of army placement coordinates, and these will go on as soon as I get a blank map to work with.

Stations will appear in the drop boxes for play as:

DEN Denver PIO
DEN Denver CAL
DEN Denver HEA

I have done this so that everyone identifies the stations they are on first
followed by the LINE, or ROAD as it is known in railroading circles.
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Widowmaker is insane. Does he get paid by CC?

Hi RjBeals...does this mean you like this map?
You'd have to ask Wm about your question. :wink:

Yes I like the map. Both of you have great photoshop skills, but the pair of you can not be beat. Your maps look very professional and undoubtedly bring more people to this site, which will also bring more paying players to this site. The time you devote to making these maps must be great, and I think you should be on the cc payroll :P

I know, I know - you do it out of love of design & your reward to get a map quenched is way greater than a few bucks ! I wonder what you guys will have quenched 12 months from now?
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:29 pm

RjBeals wrote:Yes I like the map.
Kewl!

Both of you have great photoshop skills, but the pair of you can not be beat. Your maps look very professional and undoubtedly bring more people to this site, which will also bring more paying players to this site.
Thanks for the kudos Rj, but please I think we only do what we do because we experiement a lot and yes we might have good skills, but that doesn't mean anyone else's skills are less than ours for the level they have attained or are developing.

The time you devote to making these maps must be great, and I think you should be on the cc payroll :P
is there such a thing?

I know, I know - you do it out of love of design & your reward to get a map quenched is way greater than a few bucks ! I wonder what you guys will have quenched 12 months from now?
More the creative flow for me Rj, you know there's ideas just bursting at the seams...! LOL
Who knows Rj...that also depends on how quickly the forum moves the maps and how many people provide feedback.
I'm sure that CC will benefit from everyone's maps, because I have seen that they are all quite unique in their own manner. :D
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:55 pm

the army numbers will reach hundreds plenty of times not just build-up games but also in escalating.

also edbeard is right about the script it would surely overlap.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Yes I like the map.
Kewl!

Both of you have great photoshop skills, but the pair of you can not be beat. Your maps look very professional and undoubtedly bring more people to this site, which will also bring more paying players to this site.
Thanks for the kudos Rj, but please I think we only do what we do because we experiement a lot and yes we might have good skills, but that doesn't mean anyone else's skills are less than ours for the level they have attained or are developing.

The time you devote to making these maps must be great, and I think you should be on the cc payroll :P
is there such a thing?

More the creative flow for me Rj, you know there's ideas just bursting at the seams...! LOL
Who knows Rj...that also depends on how quickly the forum moves the maps and how many people provide feedback.
I'm sure that CC will benefit from everyone's maps, because I have seen that they are all quite unique in their own manner. :D
I am glad cairnswk types all of that. I agree with him completely. I just love making maps. And I am glad that there are many others here who do also.

DiM wrote:the army numbers will reach hundreds plenty of times not just build-up games but also in escalating.

also edbeard is right about the script it would surely overlap.
Yes DiM the numbers will get into the 100's sometimes but "plenty" is relative. I have never seen any map, (except build up and World 2.1) get into the hundreds for enough time that people cannot tell what each territory has.

I am going to separate the touching army boxes so the added text for the colorblind script will not touch. That adjustment will also allow for 3 digit armies.
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 pm

i dont understand what the two stared lines mean. lines codes? letters of the service? and all stations border each other? does that mean all stations can attack each other?
Captain mibi

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:52 am

I've been following this map from a distance without much personal interest, because to be honest, a rail map of the USA has no appeal to me at all. I understand why others like the concept though.

Regardless, I have a few little things to comment on. The first has been pointed out by others, but having coordinates next to each other is a no no. I know maps aren't typically designed to incorporate three figured numbers, but it is something to consider. It's usually not an issue, because we rarely see coordinates close to each other side-by-side, but it is an issue here and I'm glad to see you're taking into consideration WM.

I apologise in advance for not reading the whole thread, I don't mean to bring up covered ground. However, I think there could be some work done on the colours. Some of these three-line stations don't have the contrast they need between colours. DEN is probably the worst offender, SEA isn't great either.

The idea of the legend is neat, I'm just not convinced it is as good as it could be. I'm not actually sure if it suits the rest of the map, which is beautiful by the way. It's quite simple, but I really like the look of the map visually. The legend looks as though it has been slapped on as an afterthought. I know this isn't the case, it's just how it looks to me. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 am

KEYOGI wrote:The first has been pointed out by others, but having coordinates next to each other is a no no. I know maps aren't typically designed to incorporate three figured numbers, but it is something to consider. It's usually not an issue, because we rarely see coordinates close to each other side-by-side, but it is an issue here and I'm glad to see you're taking into consideration WM.

Yes Keyogi, it is being addressed....i believe the station boxes need to be made bigger to accommodate those numbers.

I apologise in advance for not reading the whole thread, I don't mean to bring up covered ground. However, I think there could be some work done on the colours. Some of these three-line stations don't have the contrast they need between colours. DEN is probably the worst offender, SEA isn't great either.
yes shame on you for not reading the thread. :wink: If you had you would have seen that the colours are also being attended to.

The idea of the legend is neat, I'm just not convinced it is as good as it could be. I'm not actually sure if it suits the rest of the map, which is beautiful by the way. It's quite simple, but I really like the look of the map visually. The legend looks as though it has been slapped on as an afterthought. I know this isn't the case, it's just how it looks to me. :wink:
Thanks for the post Keyogi...this idea of an overhead gantry would have worked very well on my initial design, but maybe it is not quite right for this design. Maybe also we just have to fix up dimensioning on it. I'm sure we'll discuss it well.

EDIT\\ After re-examing the map again, perhaps all we need to do is re-orient the position of the train to make it look more like I had in the original design.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 am

mibi wrote:i dont understand what the two stared lines mean.
lines codes? letters of the service? and all stations border each other? does that mean all stations can attack each other?

Ah OK...now I've got you Mibi...btw thanks for your post. :)

Take the yellow line service City of New Orleans which comprises stations at New OrLeans NOL, MEMphis MEM, and CHIcago CHI....it has two terminals at New Orleans and Chicago. It has one station at Memphis.
Because there is only one three letter code for the actual station NOL, and in the XML you have to identfy three different terminals at NOL, then the use of the line code is necessary for when you are attacking, forting etc.
Thus to make things easy and because all the line services are different, I have used the first three letters of each line service to identify the line services in the XML. These are underlined in the legend above the map....thus the notation.

All stations border each other....means that you can attack any station (where this is any army) on any line from any other station (where there is an army)

Have at look at this XML below for NOL....you'll see that New Orleans is identified by
1. NOL New Orleans CIT (CIT is the yellow service)
2. NOL New Orleans SUN (SUN is the tan service)
3. NOL New Orleans CRE (CRE is the light blue service)

<country>
<name>NOL New Orleans CIT</name>
<borders>
<border>SAS San Antonio SUN</border>
<border>SAS San Antonio TEX</border>
<border>MEM Memphis CIT</border>
<border>ATL Atlanta CRE</border>
<border>ORL Orlando SUN</border>
<border>ORL Orlando SIL</border>
<border>NOL New Orleans SUN</border>
<border>NOL New Orleans CRE</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
<smallx>348</smallx>
<smally>429</smally>
<largex>450</largex>
<largey>547</largey>
</coordinates>
</country>

I guess as a concept, this means that three line services (continents) can share NOL, because there are three different NOLs to share.

But be careful and this is where it will get tricky.
PDX Portland has no line service identity in the XML as it is a shared line service, and there is only one territory here to fight over.

In real business, the stations where line services have their own terminal, you might relate that to the line service owning that terminal. Whereas with the shared station, it might be a leased station that is serviced by those two lines.

Therefore in the XML it is simply notated as: PDX Portland.

I hope this helps you understand more. :) And please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
Private cairnswk

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Version 9
OK here is the update.
***I fixed the legend. I know it has been criticized for being "out of place" but for now it is what we have.

***The color of the Pioneer rail has been changed as well.

Now onto the army circle (square) issues

As you can see from the picture below the way that army circle and colorblind text (from the grease monkey script) line up in the map.

Single and single colorblind numbers fit well in the circle or square. However notice that the colorblind armies are centered around the color letter not the center of the letter and number.

For the double and double colorblind number it just gets worse. The double number is centered around the middle of the two numbers but the colorblind is still centered around the number.

Now it gets even worse for the triple numbers. The numbers alone do not fit well. Three digit or more numbers are centered around the first two numbers. The colorblind three digit is still centered around the letter.

As you see in the modified three number , they still do not center well.

I really do not think that 3 digit armies should be considered when making a map. If we are required to make this map work with three digit numbers and colorblind, it will require the army boxes to be around 6 pixels wider than the last option. That will make the small map almost impossible to fit and the extra space will not be used most of the time since most people play maps to kill each other not build up . It is called risk for a reason. If you have more that 99 armies in multiple territories, you are not attacking and you should.

So for right now I am not going to change the boxes.

Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas