Conquer Club

WWII WESTERN FRONT [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Qwert on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Pain Killer

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 21:36 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have seen eastern front and i'm a big fan of it. but i didn't see any hole almost to the center of the map

in any case i'll wait to see what you want to do with that space, you're the visionary not me
probably you have already an idea what to do with it so i'll wait

*waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting*

Paint KIler if you dont notice,these is a first stage of developmental of these map(these is how i work).You also know that Switzerland is neutral country and i can not put nothing except to fill with some background who represent these country.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:10 pm

So its these idea have Aprove to go in map foundry?Do anybody else think that these idea good?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Spockers on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 pm

The edges look a bit jaggy and/or blurry.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby Teya on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm

qwert wrote:So its these idea have Aprove to go in map foundry?Do anybody else think that these idea good?

Qwert, have you read the How Maps Progress Through The Foundry thread?

Your map still needs a bit of work before it can be moved to the main foundry.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:46 am

a. the map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go. Most of the time, this is pretty self-explanatory for basic maps, but as we are stepping into realms all the time in the Foundry with more and more complicated maps, it’s best to find a plan and make it work early, rather than trying to find one mid-way through production.

b. the map must have a working image (either of the small or large map). This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state. I.E. the working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image. We’d like to see at least two graphical updates while the map spends it’s time in this early stage of the Map Ideas forum. And from the ‘How to Make a Map Thread’ the image must follow these guidelines:

Quote:
Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field).

A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful.

Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. In the event that no response is given by the Copyright holders, the map can still be made, but must consist of completely original artwork.

Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions (eventually) of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

c. the map (or the post) must also include a few basic things for easy reference such as: number of countries currently on the map, the number of continents, descriptions of any unique features or areas, and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

d. the map must have some honest and interested discussion. If no one seems to support your idea or it lacks much appeal, it most likely won’t make it to the next stage.

What letter i must apply to go in Map foundry from map idea forum?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 am

new update,i hope that you like,and i repeat these is still experimental phase.

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Hm,still nothing,these will be very very long work in these map,because i still not get any feedback after 3 days,maybe people like these map and want to se in Main map foundry?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby steve monkey on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:52 pm

a big improvement from the 1st 2 versions, you should stick with it. Both Paris and London need to be in a darker font to stand out more. I'm not a big fan of the faded colour background (dark to light), I think it could look better if the territiories within a region all have the same shade of background colour.

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby RobinJ on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:57 am

This has as much potential as the Eastern Front Map. It's already looking half-decent (and this is just the third page!)
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby snufkin on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:59 am

Please keep the V2 rockets - supposed to be using the "bombardment" xml option, no?

You have 9 countries called "army-something" but without any further names.
Try to find alternatives for at least some of those.
The comet cometh!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby Molacole on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:16 am

Ummm just out of curiousity what happened to your other 2 maps (jima&Eastern)?

I like the idea of this map a lot. Maybe some day you or somebody else could find a way to incorporate your 2 maps (assuming they get finished :P ) into 1 huge ass map!!!

I suggest you find a solution for your border crisis. As it stands now I have no idea what borders you plan on using to allow attacks into other bonuses. I'm big on game play so until I can get a better idea on how the map is going to play out I don't have much interest in it yet. Looks good, great theme, but without knowing what you plan on doing with attack routes it's kind of difficult to know how much I'm going to like it...

keep up the good work (on all your maps!)
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Qwert on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:01 am

steve monkey
a big improvement from the 1st 2 versions, you should stick with it. Both Paris and London need to be in a darker font to stand out more. I'm not a big fan of the faded colour background (dark to light), I think it could look better if the territiories within a region all have the same shade of background colour.

well these is a map idea,not main stage,so to many thing must be done in late stage,ofcourse if people like these idea.

snufkin
Please keep the V2 rockets - supposed to be using the "bombardment" xml option, no?

yes they will be V2 rocket bombardment option.Alternative for what,these is original names for these army unit,and like i say before these not will be clasic map with only geographic name,after all these map present WEstern front,and all these names present very importan units in last stage of war.

Molacole

Ummm just out of curiousity what happened to your other 2 maps (jima&Eastern)?

I like the idea of this map a lot. Maybe some day you or somebody else could find a way to incorporate your 2 maps (assuming they get finished ) into 1 huge ass map!!!

I suggest you find a solution for your border crisis. As it stands now I have no idea what borders you plan on using to allow attacks into other bonuses. I'm big on game play so until I can get a better idea on how the map is going to play out I don't have much interest in it yet. Looks good, great theme, but without knowing what you plan on doing with attack routes it's kind of difficult to know how much I'm going to like it...

keep up the good work (on all your maps!)

WWII EASTERN FRONt is in last stage of development(HTML code)
IWO JIMA-no feedback so i just waith to get some opinion,but i think that map is near final forge.

incorporate these 2 map,these will dificulty because to big dimension,you will have Eastern and western,but you also must create central european front(Chehoslovakia,Romania,part of yugoslavia,poland,austria and most importan Eastern germany and Berlin)thes will be very big work but i belive that these map will be great.

Do you heard for sliefhen line,these is defence line create in rhine rivers and going from holland to switzerland,also i will have natural borders in france central mountains.In italy no need for defence barriers,england too,and germany also no need for these.But like i say these only first stage,and you see that i go create map from white paper,so corection now its very big and everything can be change(only spain,switzerland and background with german army insignia and italy down part can not be change because hes status in these part of history acuraty)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby snufkin on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:00 pm

qwert wrote:
snufkin

Alternative for what,these is original names for these army unit,and like i say before these not will be clasic map with only geographic name,after all these map present WEstern front,and all these names present very importan units in last stage of war.

I´m not saying they should be geographical names - just that # + army is a bit boring..
What I meant is that you could do it like you did in your easternfront map and name them after the most important commanders.

for example army group G = Blaskowitz army
7th army = Dollmann army

You have already done it in the eastern map and on this map to some extent. I only think you should do it more where it´s possible.
The comet cometh!

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:14 pm

wow...3rd draft and it already looks good. 3 things jump out at me when i see this map:

1. Borders are pixelated.
2. The green/black cross background is much too dark, and stands out too much from the rest of the map.
3. Personally, I like the light fade on the map.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Qwert on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Bad Speler

Posted: 29 Jul 2007 18:14 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow...3rd draft and it already looks good. 3 things jump out at me when i see this map:

1. Borders are pixelated.
2. The green/black cross background is much too dark, and stands out too much from the rest of the map.
3. Personally, I like the light fade on the map.

How many time i must repeat,these only a begining of create map,ofcourse that to many things is not good.
These is new update,and i experiment with territory colours.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:51 pm

snufkin

Posted: 29 Jul 2007 18:00 Post subject:

qwert wrote:

Quote:
snufkin

Alternative for what,these is original names for these army unit,and like i say before these not will be clasic map with only geographic name,after all these map present WEstern front,and all these names present very importan units in last stage of war.

I´m not saying they should be geographical names - just that # + army is a bit boring..
What I meant is that you could do it like you did in your easternfront map and name them after the most important commanders.

for example army group G = Blaskowitz army
7th army = Dollmann army

You have already done it in the eastern map and on this map to some extent. I only think you should do it more where it´s possible.

No problem,in next update i will put names of comander of these units.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:00 pm

well, maybe if we can read what your trying to say it might be easyer.

try to learn some better english :roll: .
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby snufkin on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:27 pm

The Lyon-Vichy-Switzerland-6th army group borders are less clear on the last update.

The only spelling mistake I see is in "Brest fortres" which is lacking an s at the end.

Unit_2 wrote:well, maybe if we can read what your trying to say it might be easyer.

..what you´re trying to say, it might be easier

I realise that Unit_2 is a child but I still think it could be a good idea for him to follow his own advice before he dubs himself a master of the English language.. :roll:
The comet cometh!

Postby unriggable on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:48 pm

Fix the continents. The only one really considerable defendable is italy. The rest are just lost causes.
Cook unriggable

Postby Qwert on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Unit_2

Posted: 29 Jul 2007 19:00 Post subject:

well, maybe if we can read what your trying to say it might be easyer.

try to learn some better english .

Well i dont know better,if you dont understand something,please show me what.
unriggable Posted: 29 Jul 2007 20:48 Post subject:

Fix the continents. The only one really considerable defendable is italy. The rest are just lost causes.

I know these,i repeat these is begining of create map.Italy is finish,also Germany to,and England to,only 3 others is in progres.
I read yours post and fix problems 1 by 1.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm

Unit_2 wrote:well, maybe if we can read what your trying to say it might be easyer.

English is his 2nd language. Whats your excuse?

Anyway:

qwerts can we see a draft which use the same colors as the eastern front. I feel these colors gave the map a strong feel to it which i really liked.

In the Germany to England attack routes i think you should drop the plane and missile images, i don't feel they fit to well.

I remember something on TV once, a documentary about the French front line. They had some kind of underground system or something which they constructed. Do you know what im talking about? I think you could use this on the French, German boarder in some way. IM not really sure but hey, your the history expert not me ;)

EDIT:

The Maginot Line, i think this is what im talking about lol

Siegfried Line was something i also came across which was the german fortification on the French boarder

Like i said i dont know hoe you can use them but im sure you'll think of something :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:43 pm

gimil wrote:qwerts can we see a draft which use the same colors as the eastern front. I feel these colors gave the map a strong feel to it which i really liked.

Although i liked those colors, i think that he should use different colors because that one is already in final forge (will prob be quenched soon) and if this makes it to quenching, it might be confusing.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:04 pm

It wont be confusing.

I just feel a similar style will compliment these maps. qwerts has already use 4 of the colors from the easter front add has maybe similarities anyway.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm with Kaplowitz on this one, I'd like to see different colours used this time... perhaps a slightly different style as well. I quickly lose interest in the work of cartographers that churn out repeats of their previous work.

I think an alternative to the flagged dead territory is needed too, especially considering the poor quality of some of the flag images.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Id still rather see a version with a similar theme before i make a solid decision on the subject. The draft would take qwerts seconds to complete :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas