Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:38 am

i've done the terit borders. deleted some added others moved them around for space and this is what i got 134 terits. they are still subject to change if some various problems arise.
i've redone some resource buildings like the corn mill or the bakery or the timber mill. will try and redo others if necessary.

i've also added names for the resources.

my biggest problem right now is deciding on the terit names. normally i hate numbers but for this map i fear it's impossible to put real names. i really don't have the space to do that. especially in the small version :(

total number of terits 134. 6 playable from start 128 neutral.

V7
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 am

now that the terits are in place i'd like to direct the discussion towards the gameplay. (i still need advice about graphics but gameplay is more important at this point)

so here are the outlines.

134 terits. each player will start with 1 castle (2 in 3 player games and 3 in 2 player games) and the rest will be neutral. so LOTS of neutrals.

this will be a mission based map that can also be completed by the classical means of eliminating all opponents.

the mission will be to hold all castles and the temple. so just 7 terits.

bonuses.
+5 for each castle (autodeployed on the castle)
+1 for each village if you also hold the castle
+1 for each village and resource pair
+2 for each resource pair and castle.
+1 for the temple

bonus for terit number is +1 for every 6 terits with a minimum of 1. so you get 2 at 12 terits 3 at 18 and so on.

the bonuses can get pretty high. imagine having 2 castles 4 villages and 2 resource pairs (that means the top right island). you get +10 for the castles +8 for villages +8 for villages and resource pairs +8 for castles and resource pairs +5 for terits. total of 39.

i like it like this. it gives the feel of power of really being a king.
and in 3 player games it will lead to some pretty big battles.

so questions advices thoughts on gameplay. please put them here and we'll discuss.

particular concerns:
1. how many troops should there be in the neutral terits? i'm thinking 1 in each and 5 in the key spots (resources)
2. should the bonuses be lower?
3. should the 5 troops for the castle not be autodeployed?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Monde on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:01 am

Aren't the villages and resources a bit unfair?
Concerning their position towards the castles I mean.

The upper left castle seems to have a clear advantage, since it has a village directly next to it and a resource directly next to that.

Besides that, most castles have both resources of a pair close to it with only 1 territorie between them.
Only the two castles upper right, need to go through several territories before reaching their resource.
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a very bad disadvantage.
As it'll take them atleast a turn longer to have a resource pair.

The map looks cool though 8)
Sergeant 1st Class Monde

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:11 am

Monde wrote:Aren't the villages and resources a bit unfair?
Concerning their position towards the castles I mean.

The upper left castle seems to have a clear advantage, since it has a village directly next to it and a resource directly next to that.

Besides that, most castles have both resources of a pair close to it with only 1 territorie between them.
Only the two castles upper right, need to go through several territories before reaching their resource.
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a very bad disadvantage.
As it'll take them atleast a turn longer to have a resource pair.

The map looks cool though 8)

not such a big deal if you consider the fact that resource pairs and villages will start with 5 troops in them while the others with just 1. so it's not a big deal if you have to travel through 1 or 2 terits to get to a village.

however i will modify the terits to make sure each castle is at least 1 terit away from a village or resource.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:55 am

here's another update. i've made some border modifications to balance the gameplay.

i've also added some army circles.

Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:29 am

COME UP WITH A BETTER NAME THAN AGE OF MIGHT.

Maybe 'Superior Era' or something.

And wtf is a fishery?
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:30 am

unriggable wrote:COME UP WITH A BETTER NAME THAN AGE OF MIGHT.

Maybe 'Superior Era' or something.

And wtf is a fishery?

superior era does not follow the path of the story. in the three chapters there will be 3 ages of something each representing what the story is in that chapter.

in this particular one we have the battle for reign between 6 rival feuds. thus we have Age of Might.

as for the fishery i find it strange you don't know what it is. you are an american and thus a native speaker of english. so you should know what a fishery is.
read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheries
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:20 pm

need more feedback on this post:

DiM wrote:now that the terits are in place i'd like to direct the discussion towards the gameplay. (i still need advice about graphics but gameplay is more important at this point)

so here are the outlines.

134 terits. each player will start with 1 castle (2 in 3 player games and 3 in 2 player games) and the rest will be neutral. so LOTS of neutrals.

this will be a mission based map that can also be completed by the classical means of eliminating all opponents.

bonuses.
+1 for the temple

bonus for terit number is +1 for every 6 terits with a minimum of 1. so you get 2 at 12 terits 3 at 18 and so on.

the bonuses can get pretty high. imagine having 2 castles 4 villages and 2 resource pairs (that means the top right island). you get +10 for the castles +8 for villages +8 for villages and resource pairs +8 for castles and resource pairs +5 for terits. total of 39.

i like it like this. it gives the feel of power of really being a king.
and in 3 player games it will lead to some pretty big battles.

so questions advices thoughts on gameplay. please put them here and we'll discuss.

particular concerns:
1. how many troops should there be in the neutral terits? i'm thinking 1 in each and 5 in the key spots (resources)
3. should the 5 troops for the castle not be autodeployed?
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:51 pm

In boston we call it a fish market...

Fishery I guess also works.
Cook unriggable

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:53 pm

DiM wrote:this will be a mission based map that can also be completed by the classical means of eliminating all opponents.

I thought the temple was playing a role in the next chapter?

DiM wrote:bonuses.
+1 for the temple

Temple should be a +2 or maybe a +3. with it so out of the way there needs to be more incentive to attack it.

DiM wrote:bonus for terit number is +1 for every 6 terits with a minimum of 1. so you get 2 at 12 terits 3 at 18 and so on.

this im not really sure about. It could really slow down the start of the game.

DiM wrote:particular concerns:
3. should the 5 troops for the castle not be auto deployed?

1. 1 for empty terrs, 4 for the temple, 3 villages. Resource pairs should have different amounts depending on how far apart they are and how close each one is to a castle. For example. The fishery the market and a castle can be taken within 5 terrs. but the iron mine and blacksmith require movement through 8 terrs. They will need different values to ensure an equal start for everyone.

2. No :wink:

3. They most certainly stay auto deployed i think this bonus should maybe be increased just a little bit.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:08 am

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:this will be a mission based map that can also be completed by the classical means of eliminating all opponents.

I thought the temple was playing a role in the next chapter?

yes but i put it in the mission now to make the connection between the 2 chapters. you know you get it here along with the six castles and rule the kingdom but then because you had the temple things went wrong and chapter 2 begins.

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:bonuses.
+1 for the temple

Temple should be a +2 or maybe a +3. with it so out of the way there needs to be more incentive to attack it.

the best incentive to attack is is to complete the mission. :wink:
adding +1 is just a small reward for going to the trouble of taking it.

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:bonus for terit number is +1 for every 6 terits with a minimum of 1. so you get 2 at 12 terits 3 at 18 and so on.

this im not really sure about. It could really slow down the start of the game.

after careful thinking i gave up on this idea. it will be a normal bonus. since most of the terits start neutral i think lowering the bonus would lead to many places not being conquered so i'll leave the default bonus as an incentive to expand a lot.

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:particular concerns:
3. should the 5 troops for the castle not be auto deployed?

1. 1 for empty terrs, 4 for the temple, 3 villages. Resource pairs should have different amounts depending on how far apart they are and how close each one is to a castle. For example. The fishery the market and a castle can be taken within 5 terrs. but the iron mine and blacksmith require movement through 8 terrs. They will need different values to ensure an equal start for everyone.

2. No :wink:

3. They most certainly stay auto deployed i think this bonus should maybe be increased just a little bit.

1. i like that. i'll put variable amounts also in villages depending on the distance.
2. k
3. i also agree on autodeployment. not sure on increasing the amount though. need more feedback.
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:57 pm

The idea of a trilogy is interesting, but before getting head first into it all, I suggest getting at least one map done, and testing the waters with that. Working on more than one seems counter, in my eyes. So I'd focus your efforts on the other Feudal Wars map.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:28 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The idea of a trilogy is interesting, but before getting head first into it all, I suggest getting at least one map done, and testing the waters with that. Working on more than one seems counter, in my eyes. So I'd focus your efforts on the other Feudal Wars map.

--Andy

the trilogy has nothing to do with the feudal wars map. it's a separate project.
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:35 pm

Yes, the original is not part of the triology, but it's all one and the same. It's like The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby hulmey on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:28 am

LOL
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby gimil on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:16 am

KEYOGI wrote:Yes, the original is not part of the triology, but it's all one and the same. It's like The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. :wink:

exactly.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:44 pm

impressive just one thing you should make your castles look the same otherwise you can't tell if its a castle
you don't need to make them Identicle just similer
Colonel tim02

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 pm

tim02 wrote:impressive just one thing you should make your castles look the same otherwise you can't tell if its a castle

why can't you tell it's a castle?? it's a big building with walls and fortifications and stuff. i don't think confusion can take place. plus you start with only one terit - the castle. so you pretty much figure it out at that point.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 pm

tim02 wrote:impressive just one thing you should make your castles look the same otherwise you can't tell if its a castle

the castles are fine if you make them similar your implying they belong to the same kingdom.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:47 pm

mibi was equally frustrated in Seige! when people were wondering what the forest was, and which camp was which before he put the square labels. Apparently people don't have eyes, or they don't know how to use them sometimes. Hopefully you don't need to do something like that to tell people those are all castles.
Last edited by Coleman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Coleman wrote:mibi was equally frustrated when people were wondering what the forest camp was, and which camp was which before he put the square labels. Apparently people don't have eyes, or they don't know how to use them sometimes.

yeah some people frustrate me :?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:51 pm

then what the heck is the thing that looks like a trebuchet
Colonel tim02

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm

oops sorry I thought it was standing apright nevermind so sorry
Colonel tim02

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Coleman wrote:mibi was equally frustrated in Seige! when people were wondering what the forest was, and which camp was which before he put the square labels. Apparently people don't have eyes, or they don't know how to use them sometimes. Hopefully you don't need to do something like that to tell people those are all castles.

since i don't like numbering that much on this map there will be names. the most important things will be named. already added names for resources and i will add for the villages the castles and the temple. i'm still pondering what to do with the terits. i'd like to put some names but the space is small so i'll probably put numbers.

hopefully having names will clear any confusion regarding where each resource is or if a certain thing is a castle or a pumpkin. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:55 pm

tim02 wrote:then what the heck is the thing that looks like a trebuchet

what?? :shock: where?? :shock:
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas