Midkemdil [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Coleman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:58 pm

1) It will be back when the copyright issues are resolved.
or
2) Never.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:40 am

Ok guys, It will be back.

I need to change all names so they don't involve copyright.
the names of the cities are easy to change, change some letters so they do sound the same but are diffrent.

Now the only thing is the title. it's midkemia but I can't make it that way. Feel free to give suggestions about all names :wink:
What about Mitkemia instead of Midkemia...sounds the same...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 am

Changed all names that were in copyright (not all names are changed because I already invented/changed some)

Small map:

Large map:

Xml:
http://h1.ripway.com/Gnomepy/midkemiav19.0.xml
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:19 am

i was gona say mikidemia, i keeep calling it that anyway...its a really good map i hope it gets back
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (3)

Postby unriggable on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:26 pm

Queb should become Quench.
Cook unriggable

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:36 pm

lord voldemort wrote:i was gona say mikidemia, i keeep calling it that anyway...its a really good map i hope it gets back

i agree
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I don't think that changing the name from MIDkemia to MITkemia will free you of copyright issues... you have already demonstrated that it is the same product.

Can I make a proposal:

Call it WIKIDEMIA, and ask each user of the Foundry who has been active in helping with this map to submit one territory name, however stupid or ridiculous, as long as it is under a certain number of characters. This would be the first foundry WIKI map, and might start a trend.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Incandenza on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 am

oaktown wrote:I don't think that changing the name from MIDkemia to MITkemia will free you of copyright issues... you have already demonstrated that it is the same product.

Can I make a proposal:

Call it WIKIDEMIA, and ask each user of the Foundry who has been active in helping with this map to submit one territory name, however stupid or ridiculous, as long as it is under a certain number of characters. This would be the first foundry WIKI map, and might start a trend.

A brilliant idea, this is.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby Gnome on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:22 pm

Ya it is a brilliant idea but it is impossible to do...it will take ages to get all names...I changed all the names, the map looks like midkemia but I made it like it really has nothing to do with it...
The world calls 'Elendil' (random name in elven name generator 8) )
And I changed almost all of the other names...
I hope it can back in the map list like this...sorry for all midkemia fans...the name is changed but you can still pretend like it is midkemia :wink:

let me know what you think of it...

edit*: -I changed the signature on the large map but not on the small one...(what's best?)

Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:29 pm

i can barely read the sig on the small ver and only because i know what it says so i would say the one on the big map is better
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Incandenza on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Dunno if you're aware of this (or give a shit), but Elendil was a rather important character in the Silmarillion. Specifically, he was the Numenorean king that fought alongside Gil-Galad against Sauron some fifteen hundred years or so before the Lord of the Rings story.... plus he was the father of Isildur, the guy who cut the ring off Sauron's finger.

Colonel Incandenza

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby The1exile on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Gnome wrote:The world calls 'Elendil' (random name in elven name generator 8) )

Too obviously LOTR imho. This coming form a guy who used the everlasting book of names to create his fake business names for an ICT project. Elendil is what Aragorn shouts, isn't it?

Gnome wrote:edit*: -I changed the signature on the large map but not on the small one...(what's best?)

I like the new one - less Worth1000.com feel about it.
Lieutenant The1exile

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby The1exile on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm

if you want an entirely new name but with the whole elvish thing, how about Tar-Minkaneut?
Lieutenant The1exile

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Coleman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Just so we are clear. I believe we can do as much LOTR stuff as we want. We received permission for Middle Earth anyway.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Incandenza on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm

Yeah, but in the wide scope of fantasy-sounding names, no need to use one that's so identifiably Tolkein. If it were some really obscure name from one of the innumerable Chris Tolkein crapfests, that's one thing, but Elendil is a bit too front-and-center. It's not quite as egregious as calling the map, say, Elrond, but it's close.

Colonel Incandenza

General Contribution (4)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:58 pm

As Incandenza mentioned, perhaps a name that is more obscure.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gnome on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 am

AndyDufresne wrote:As Incandenza mentioned, perhaps a name that is more obscure.

--Andy

ya ok lol...I didn't know about that name...that's what you get if you random some things out a generator...that's not a big deal to change that...
Tar-Minkaneut seems a bit to long to fit in the title space :?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:17 am

Midkemia + Elendil = Midkendil? :)
Elendil + Midkemia = Elenmia? :)

Maybe not the best names....hehe

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:18 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Midkemia + Elendil = Midkendil? :)
Elendil + Midkemia = Elenmia? :)

Maybe not the best names....hehe

--Andy

i like that
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (3)

Postby Gnome on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:42 am

ya Midkemdil sound fine to me...
I'll post an update so you can see how it looks on the map :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

Postby Gnome on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:55 am

here is the update:

large map:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:15 am

Niklendimem.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby spiesr on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:57 am

The spacing in the legend between South Coast and North Maran is off...
Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator

Medals: 24
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Elijah S on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:17 pm

Just a quick observation... the "k" in Middle Kingdom should be a capitol "K" to match the other Kingdom's in the legend.

Really great looking map btw...
Captain Elijah S

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:31 pm

it's just a shame that I don't have time to work on it...I'm still working on it...but it's just slow...and it doesn't need that lot of work...why can't I just stop time for some hours :)
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas