[Official] Indochina REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:06 am

KEYOGI wrote:Rules revised to include no changes to gameplay and missing connections. 8)

you just took the fun out of this revamp :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:29 am

i was interisted in this, and i said that to you, but then i went on a 2 weeks holiday and decided that i don't want to do it anymore, so get me of the list ;)
good luck other map makers
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 pm

I have several questions regarding the contest. I was going to jsut PM Keyogi but I figured that others might want to know the answers as well.

1) Do we need to provide 100% complete maps?
2) Do we need to provide both large and small versions?
3) Do we need XML?
4) After the deadline, will the vote determine the winner or several maps for final work.
5) If the voting picks one winner, will the normal foundry process take place to better refine and finally quench the map or will the winning map be quenched like it is?

Lets make some good maps Only 11 days left!

Thanks
WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm

To answer WidowMakers questions:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by a 100% complete map, but the more complete your map looks the better your chances of getting votes.
2) No, one or the other will do.
3) No.
4) The vote will determine the winner.
5) The winning map will continue through development like any other map, I would think it unfair otherwise.

The participants of the competition will remain anonymous until voting has closed. This will ensure no preference is given to a particular cartographer, just the map on its own merits. If any signature's are visible on a map, I will blur these out myself before posting.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby hulmey on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 pm

we could also make a side market on who's map you think it is :D :D

I'll be the bookie 8)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:17 pm

LOL. $100 on... wait, hang on. I guess I can't enter huh?

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Competition is officially open. Voting will last for one week. Check the first post for map images and details. :)

Postby casper on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Map A for sure. Too bad no one is allowed to add add some rivers or mountains... *some* sort of barriers would be nice on this map.
Colonel casper

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (1)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Map A is definately the best, although D isn't too far behind.

Judging by the styles of the maps, if these two members created maps, I bet D was Keyogi's and A was Widowmakers (2 of the Best Map Makers we have!)

Well done to everyone, and thanks for participating!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:36 pm

I took no part in the competition. Conflict of interest. :wink:

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Well whoever created it gave it a very "Middle East" map feel. You have an admirer :lol:

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Choice D is too much like the middle east revamp...I chose A :D
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby hulmey on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Map A for me but really like the Font on map B coz it gives ita asain feel
Lieutenant hulmey

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby hulmey on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 pm

i think the voting is over b4 its even started!!!! Congrats Map A
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby jako on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am

map A and B were close for me, but A just looked more professional to me, and props for that dotted border line, just gives me a feeling of high quality visual appeal. B was a close contender but A all the way.

i think A is also widowmakers.

but i really think some needs to look at the XML for the borders of dien bein phu, and hua phan

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:50 am

i see the 4 way border was solved in the same way by all the cartographers. was it a special request or is it just a coincidence?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:46 pm

I do believe that, in order to have understandable and clear game play, each cartographer was advised to clear up the four way borders, as no maps should have them.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby MR. Nate on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Since the map is going to FF after the vote, I'll assume we'll find out who the winning cartographer will be, but will we find out the losers as well? I'm impressed by the effort put into all the maps, and I think everyone should be recognized for their effort.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:25 pm

DiM wrote:i see the 4 way border was solved in the same way by all the cartographers. was it a special request or is it just a coincidence?

I feel really stupid for asking, but which four way border are we talking about? I know it's off topic, but it's bugging me that I don't know where it was (and I looked on the current map and didn't see what you were talking about).

Postby RjBeals on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:45 pm

My vote is "A" - And It really looks like someone drew all those water edge dots by hand (err.. mouse?). That must have taken forever, but the outcome is fantastic. Well done.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
DiM wrote:i see the 4 way border was solved in the same way by all the cartographers. was it a special request or is it just a coincidence?

I feel really stupid for asking, but which four way border are we talking about? I know it's off topic, but it's bugging me that I don't know where it was (and I looked on the current map and didn't see what you were talking about).

right in the center salavan and hue zone
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:14 pm

MR. Nate wrote:Since the map is going to FF after the vote, I'll assume we'll find out who the winning cartographer will be, but will we find out the losers as well? I'm impressed by the effort put into all the maps, and I think everyone should be recognized for their effort.

i think we'll find out who they are.

i'm actually curious about the C map. the rest of the authors i know but C really has me wondering because i don't recognize a particular style. :?
Major DiM

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 pm

DiM wrote:right in the center salavan and hue zone

#-o Thank you. lol.

I think that Map C may be Unit_2 and pepperonibread. Since I have never seen their work, I don't know, but I know that they previously showed an interest in revampin Indochina (and even had a thread for a day). :lol:

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 am

The competition is closed with the following results:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Choose your preferred Indochina Revamp

A
67% [ 45 ]
B
7% [ 5 ]
C
7% [ 5 ]
D
17% [ 12 ]

Total Votes : 67

-----------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to our winner WidowMakers.

The map will now go through the usual foundry process. Map image is below, so let the feedback begin.

Postby Gilligan on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:31 am

Doesn't he need to give credit to the first cartographer?
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 202
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Next

Return to The Atlas