Conquer Club

Rail Europe [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:49 pm

DiM wrote:2. yes, perhaps a rewording would do the trick although i can't think of an alternate way to spell it.
5. you have BLX: Benelux Express but the last bonus just says Paris when it should be PAR: Paris.

Ahhh! Ich Verstehe jetzt. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

V11 Small

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Here is some small adjustments as required....

* White area on Paris station dulled.
* PAR: Pairs adjusted in the legend
* British Rail made cream coloured and moved in the legend.
* Notation re HSL to STK made in the legend
* Stations dissected by sevice lines changed to Stations dissected by rail lines cannot attack across the rail lines.

Private cairnswk

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:51 pm

to be honest i didnt like the idea of the first railroad map...and i dont think theres any point in making another its practically the same map.
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby Gnome on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:10 pm

Srry to come up with this...maybe it will again be a stupid thing :wink:

you write 'At PAR,LON,HAM all stations border each other'...
What about WaW, BUD, SPG and MOW? they looks the same as London and hamburg...I thought they just all bordered each other...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Gnome wrote:Srry to come up with this...maybe it will again be a stupid thing :wink:

What about WaW, BUD, SPG and MOW? they looks the same as London and hamburg...I thought they just all bordered each other...

see cairns i told you people will not understand :roll:

anyway, Gnome read the last sentence in the instructions the one about service lines. also read the big message at the top of the map.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 pm

ParadiceCity9 wrote:to be honest i didnt like the idea of the first railroad map...and i dont think theres any point in making another its practically the same map.
thanks ParadiseCity9 for your comments. I guess youy're one of the 25% above in the poll.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Gnome wrote:Srry to come up with this...maybe it will again be a stupid thing :wink:

hi gnome...any query is not stupid, but i do apalaude you for asking.

if you look at the layout, can you honestly say that WAW is the same as LON. WAW is split in two by rail lines is it not? And if you work that configuration with what the text says, all stations in PAR, LON, HAM can attack each other. If a station is dissected by rail lines like WAW, then the two top stations cannot attack the bottom blue UKR line.
Does that make sense?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:19 pm

DiM wrote:

anyway, Gnome read the last sentence in the instructions the one about service lines. also read the big message at the top of the map.

Yes DiM, you are right, but at least gnome asked the questions and indicated a "wanting to learn process".
Also remember that all players have to do is test an attack route in the xml by trying to attack across those lines, adn the xml will come up with "illegal move".
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

Yes DiM, you are right, but at least gnome asked the questions and indicated a "wanting to learn process".
Also remember that all players have to do is test an attack route in the xml by trying to attack across those lines, adn the xml will come up with "illegal move".

Ya well, now it make sense to me...it's a bit difficult that's all :)
I thought you made those splittings just because it would look nice...and ya I forgot to read that upper message...

But I think it will still be hard for some to get this...you imagine people who doesn't really know English...they will get frustrated when they can't read this and see 'illegal move', it'll screw their tactic...
Maybe it will all come clearer when real rail lines are made...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:43 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

yep exactly as gnome said in the post above this one. people will get frustrated when they see "illegal attack" because in some cases their whole strategy might go to waste.

2 days ago there was a bug report for AoM and a guy said the bug was that somebody was attacked in a dock from a port.

in the legend it's clearly said "ports attack other ports and docks" it's the very first sentence in the instructions written in plain and simple english and yet somehow it was missed.

you can imagine people will have much more problems with your service lines split stations.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Guys...thanks for the feedback...perhaps more instructions are needed....somehting like impassables, or a model of the split station with some text...i understand what you say and yes i agree, so i'll see what i can do about it.
I don't want to change the play, but it needs more explanation. and then if people can't read then that's their fault. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Well I can read and still I missed it :? (maybe that's because it's me :roll: )
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:00 pm

Gnome wrote:Well I can read and still I missed it :? (maybe that's because it's me :roll: )

gnome...unfortunately is a trait of humans....making mistakes LOL.
Private cairnswk

V12 Update

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:04 am

OK here are a few changes:

* complete colour background change, I wanted to obtain that stained veneer look for the legend
* the legend names have been changed to reflect the style of yesteryear
* the title is yet to be ambelished
* an important inclusion about the gameplay.

V12 Small

V12 Large

Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:45 am

I really like it this way...
I think the background is a lot better this way
The gameplay note in the left corner is great :D
some colours in the legend looks the same like VSX and RIB but I don't think this will give a lot of problems as the names are very clear...
I look forward to see what the new rail lines will look like :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby unriggable on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:29 am

Question, would the paris stops be PAR PAR or what, since PAR is also a rail as demonstrated by your legend.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:32 am

unriggable wrote:Question, would the paris stops be PAR PAR or what, since PAR is also a rail as demonstrated by your legend.
I agree it is confusing. Paris should not be PAR because the three letters are for Rail lines Paris is a special case in that the CITY gets a bonus. I think it should just say something similar rot the Chicago station.

All 8 Paris Stations....9
Major WidowMakers

Postby onbekende on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:32 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:2. yes, perhaps a rewording would do the trick although i can't think of an alternate way to spell it.
5. you have BLX: Benelux Express but the last bonus just says Paris when it should be PAR: Paris.

Ahhh! Ich Verstehe jetzt. :)
DiM is to blame for the PAR
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Selin on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:43 am

cairnswk wrote:
Selin wrote:good work cairnswk

just a small remark:
please use IST for Istanbul station instead of ISL.
IST is the correct abbreviation

Thanks Selin for your post.
Can i ask is that a train station code or an airport code.

I have an IATA/UFTTA Diploma in air fares and ticketing, and i know IST stand for Istanbul-Ataturk airport.

Therefore i used ISL for the train station. :)

Istanbul has two train stations, one on the European side (Sirkeci) and one on th Asian side (Haydarpasa). They don't have abbreviations like in airports.

The fact is that no one can understand that ISL is an abbreviation for Istanbul, because IST is used if an abbreviation is needed in general.

PS: I live in Istanbul.

Brigadier Selin

Postby jako on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 pm

the legend colours for the bonuses and on the map are very unclear to me, especially sinc eim not too familiar with europe lines over here on canada.

right now the briish line and benelux line are almost exactly the same. i can tell where the brit line is (im not that dumb or blind) but i cant seem to find the benelux line.

i know i might be sounding stupid, but theres so much going on the map with the stations and the overlap of lines, and as well as the background colour, that is really making it difficult for me to see what lines are what, apart from the distinctly different ones. the similar shaded lines are pretty hard to tell apart for me.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

V13 Small

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Here is V13 update.

V 13 Small

Changes:
* Double lines included (without sleepers and not WM's version) to show what the map might start to look like.
* Benelux coastline moved out to make space for the rail lines
* Benelux colours enhanced to hopefuilly make them clearer for some
* ISL changed to IST for Istanbul
* Paris legend text changed to WM's suggestion in line with Rail USA
* Map size made exactly 600px height x 621wide.
* drop shadow on station names reduced by 1 px

V13 Small

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:52 pm

unriggable wrote:Question, would the paris stops be PAR PAR or what, since PAR is also a rail as demonstrated by your legend.

no unriggable, the rail situation has changed as per V13.

Paris stations will be denoted...

PAR Paris BNX
PAR Paris NRX
PAR Paris ORX
etc etc.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
I agree it is confusing. Paris should not be PAR because the three letters are for Rail lines Paris is a special case in that the CITY gets a bonus. I think it should just say something similar rot the Chicago station.

All 8 Paris Stations....9

Done WM...thanks for the clarification :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:00 pm

jako wrote:the legend colours for the bonuses and on the map are very unclear to me, especially sinc eim not too familiar with europe lines over here on canada.

right now the briish line and benelux line are almost exactly the same. i can tell where the brit line is (im not that dumb or blind) but i cant seem to find the benelux line.

i know i might be sounding stupid, but theres so much going on the map with the stations and the overlap of lines, and as well as the background colour, that is really making it difficult for me to see what lines are what, apart from the distinctly different ones. the similar shaded lines are pretty hard to tell apart for me.

OK understand jako....i'll prbably change colours of the BNX line if it is still unclear in V13 above to you.

Don't forget, these stations will be denoted in the xml with their line code also eg

AMS Amsterdam BNX
PAR Paris BNX
HAM Hamburg BNX

Where a station shares lines such as KLN, the station will simply be notated as:

KLN

since it only has one army in the xml that can occupy that terrritory. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Well lucky me I never play on small maps...it looks nice but all those lines giving me a headache :?

I think it's good that you moved the Benelux coatsline:wink:
The road wasn't visible at all...you could just expect it was there...

Could you make the green beam from Paris a bit darker...it looks to 'Flashy' in there :-)

And maybe you wanted it that way but the sides of stations SOF isn't coloured in yellow, brown and red. Same goes for IST and KLN (I only say this because you did coloured FLN and VEN)

and at station FLN the grey square for the name is bigger as in rest of the stations...

It are all details...and it can be that there is an explanation for all of them but I don't find anything else to say :wink:

Keep up the good work, I realy like your maps
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas