Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Charleston, SC (Even Newer Colors Update, Pg-8) [I]

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 am

RjBeals wrote:The wave lines or the light brush strokes on the water ?

I say go with the brush strokes. The latest colors work just fine with me. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime
Retired Administrator

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:02 am

ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am

gimil wrote:ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.

That's just it.. I don't feel this map is flat at all? And is it the coastline, so in reality, it's extremely flat anyway. Why would I want roads cluttering up this map? I wanted a very simple, fun big (60 territs) map, with lots of bonuses. I don't want roads. They work on the LA map, but I don't want them here. I only put the grid roads in the yellow historic district because that's the main downtown area.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:24 am

gimil wrote:ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.

I'll have to disagree with you here, gimil. Adding a bunch of roads to this map isn't going to be consistent with the feel that is being created at the moment. Simple and straightforward is what we need. The last batch of 8 maps to get quenched had not a single classic gameplay style map included. I understand a lot of players like the fancy gameplay but there are a lot of us that wish there were more standard gameplay maps out there. Simple territories and continents with no gimmicks.
Cadet Optimus Prime
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 am

Im just saying I would like to see those little discret roads all over the map.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:01 pm

gimil wrote:Im just saying I would like to see those little discret roads all over the map.

Oooooohh....right.
Cadet Optimus Prime
Retired Administrator

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Rj, if you really want to be accurate on the historic district, I'd suggest pulling out a Google map of the downtown area and copying things from there. Right now you're missing one of the best downtown vistas: the Battery (it encircles the tip of the peninsula). As for roads everywhere, I concur on not doing that for the same reasons stated before.

New colors, word. Good job on getting a good compromise on things.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:45 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Right now you're missing one of the best downtown vistas: the Battery (it encircles the tip of the peninsula)
I don't want to be that accurate. This is not a road map, the grid was simply for visual appeal. Thanks for the comments though.
Private RjBeals

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:56 pm

The new colors are a great compromise, I think.
Also, I disagree with gimil about the roads. Like someone said before, they look a bit like a circuit board, but I think it looks okay on just that one continent. If they're all over the map, though, I think it'd be too much.
Corporal pepperonibread

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Click image to enlarge.

So these colors are looking okay then? Howabout the legend?
Private RjBeals

Re: Charleston, SC (Newest Update, Pg-9) [I]

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:53 pm

I don't like the yellow army circles on the sea or the lines around the sea.

However everything else is wonderful =D>

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:04 pm

gimil wrote:I don't like the yellow army circles on the sea or the lines around the sea.

However everything else is wonderful =D>

Hmm.. Fort Sumter & Folly Island? I don't know how to remedy that. Those islands are small, in fact I've enlarged them a bit just to be able to see well on this map. Any suggestions? And I really like the waves (lines) around the outer land. I think it gives the map a unique look. But if others are unhappy with this, it's a simple delete.

Click image to enlarge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 8&t=h&z=14

Also, I'm concerned about the gray armies on the dark colors, on certain monitors - so please comment if you can't see the gray armies. I think all other colors will be fine.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 pm

I think I need to work the legend into the map somehow. Now it's kinda just sitting there and looks out of place. Like a card.
Private RjBeals

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:33 pm

the map looks good. Maybe for the islands overlap the army circles onto the land partially? I don't like when there isn't a physical connection.

And my comment before on the ocean. I basically think it looks too fake. I thought maybe lessening the opacity would help. It isn't the kind of thing that bothers me much. The nice colors on the map and what not will make it playable.

EDITED TO ADD. the grays look fine on my laptop monitor which is a good sign. Sitting back too. As for the legend, I recommend removing the text and using the colored map in there and working it in like, I think it is the madagascar map? Or am I just thinking about that map because of incessant signature ads? :lol:
Captain seamusk

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 pm

seamusk wrote: As for the legend, I recommend removing the text and using the colored map in there and working it in like, I think it is the madagascar map?

Not sure I follow that. So you think I should scrap the text bonus lines (bars) under the mini-map? I think people prefer to be able to call a bonus region by a name, not a color. There's no way I could work it into the regions background, like I did on Dustbowl, or like New World. I thought about removing the mini-map, but I think it's needed here. There's just too many bonus regions and colors to not have a visual representation.

Thanks for the feedback - I understand what you're saying about the waves. I can tone them a down a bit so they aren't so bold.
Private RjBeals

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:45 pm

RjBeals wrote:Not sure I follow that. So you think I should scrap the text bonus lines (bars) under the mini-map? I think people prefer to be able to call a bonus region by a name, not a color. There's no way I could work it into the regions background, like I did on Dustbowl, or like New World. I thought about removing the mini-map, but I think it's needed here. There's just too many bonus regions and colors to not have a visual representation.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. And I agree with you about the names thing. I don't think it looks that bad though either. Sorry can't think of any other suggestions right now. But I think you are right to want to keep the text.
Captain seamusk

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:22 am

Hey Rj, as you already know Ruben Cassar will be in charge of the gameplay stamp on this map... I'm still available if you have any specific concerns or questions, but he'll be following the discussion more closely than I.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 am

Yep. I'm aware of that, but don't abandoned the thread on me. ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:17 am

RjBeals wrote:
seamusk wrote: As for the legend, I recommend removing the text and using the colored map in there and working it in like, I think it is the madagascar map?

Not sure I follow that. So you think I should scrap the text bonus lines (bars) under the mini-map? I think people prefer to be able to call a bonus region by a name, not a color.

I'm with RJ on this. The minimap helps show where the bonusses are, and the labels help interpret the game log. On the Madagascar map, I dislike how the region names are on the opposite side of the map to the legend... I think it is good to keep the two things togeher wherever possible, as it aids understanding.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:27 am

My wifey looked at the map (finally) last night and said the water looks too gray - like a storm's rolling in. She said to make the water more blue. Anyone agree? If needed, I could post a visual (but only if a real CC member requests it)

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:13 am

I think your wife is right... you should listen to her more often (at least, that's what mine says ;-))
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:18 am

MrBenn wrote:I think your wife is right... you should listen to her more often (at least, that's what mine says ;-))

Your's wasn't standing right behind you when you typed that was she Mr.Benn? Ha... I dunno though, I'll try a more blue water, but the grey is kinda gloomy and cool.
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:20 am

RjBeals wrote:I ran my map trough as well. I can tell the regions apart, except for the yellow/green colorblind version at the bottom (Tritanope). But it sure doesn't look pretty. I guress there's no way to check the validity of the conversion though - as nobody can turn colorblindness on and off when they want :?

I can tell the difference on all those images, so perhaps you've just discovered that you're colourblind! :shock:

I think there's a disclaimer on the site about the validity of the conversion... It depends on monitor settings as well as the whole psychological debate about whether my green is the same as your green... :roll:

I anything, I'd make the grey region very slightly lighter, and I think you shold be allright colourblindwise (after you're visit to the optician! :lol:)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:15 am

The 2nd and 3rd images look identical to me. You see a difference in them?
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:33 am

No - they're virtually identical... Isle of plams looks slightly bluer in the 2nd version, and East Cooper slightly lighter on the 3rd, but other than that, they're the same.

On another note, I think East Cooper and Mt Pleasant could be swapped around in the legend (by that I mean the text for each region). It would help the top-bottom balance (that sounds like me inventing some pseudo-waffle!)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas