Conquer Club

Dungeon of Draknor - Halls of Testing [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Krueger on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:05 am

Testing was a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to playing on the map and not having the borders move on me in the middle of the game! (I was holding stealth and it was decided to make it so might could attack it.)
Kudos to Mr. Nate for "winning" that last game!
Shin high sharp edges are karma's debt collectors.
Sergeant Krueger

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:21 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I also like your little staircase "Down to Level 2", though it doesn't look like it is decending so much. Maybe a spiral down. ;) But that may just be too much work. I like it either way.
--Andy
I tried doing this but since the view is a top down and the stairway goes into the wall, there is not much a way to show depth. I tried to make the stairs in the middle of the room but it did not look good or make sense, so I just ended up keeping them where they are now.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Blitzaholic on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:01 pm

this looks awesome to play
General Blitzaholic

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:this looks awesome to play
I hope this will help feed some of the players desires for a more classic style/less gimmicky gameplay map. Even thought there are only 1-ways the map is easy to read and understand. It is just straight up kill or be killed.

Hope everyone likes it.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Krueger on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:21 pm

WidowMakers wrote: It is just straight up kill or be killed. WM

I think that a few more straight up maps, a lot of the recent ones have been a little "gimmicky". I'm not saying that I don't like all of them, but some of them have been overly complex as of late.
Sergeant Krueger

Postby MR. Nate on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:44 am

It looks like your using the old colors for the numbers. I don't think it's a problem, but could you use the newer, more feminine pink? I want to make sure it doesn't cower and run in the darkness.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:18 am

MR. Nate wrote:It looks like your using the old colors for the numbers. I don't think it's a problem, but could you use the newer, more feminine pink? I want to make sure it doesn't cower and run in the darkness.
Those new colors are being changed. I happen to be on the new army color committee and we will be changing them as soon as we can agree on a new color scheme. These army colors are currently the front runners.
Major WidowMakers

Postby lanyards on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm

For the territory "North Barracks", the figure on the eastern side of the territory, I'm guessing it is a sleeping mat or a bed, is being looked at from a wierd angle. The rest of the beds and weapons and all the other detailed figures are seen from a top view, where as this one is from a different view. Atleast that is what I think I see. The rest of the map looks perfect, I love the detail.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:28 pm

lanyards wrote:For the territory "North Barracks", the figure on the eastern side of the territory, I'm guessing it is a sleeping mat or a bed, is being looked at from a wierd angle. The rest of the beds and weapons and all the other detailed figures are seen from a top view, where as this one is from a different view. Atleast that is what I think I see. The rest of the map looks perfect, I love the detail.

--lanyards
It is a bed that has been tipped over and is upside down.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby lanyards on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm

WidowMakers wrote:It is a bed that has been tipped over and is upside down.

WM

Thanks for the clearification, but is it the correct angle?

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:42 pm

lanyards wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:It is a bed that has been tipped over and is upside down.

WM

Thanks for the clearification, but is it the correct angle?

--lanyards
Well I drew it by hand so.............yes.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:01 pm

XML:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... L1_v01.xml

Large:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3631/dodl114lut7.jpg
Small:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3448/dodl114slr3.jpg

==================================================
Map Information Page

Dungeon of Draknor - The Halls of Testing Concept by Jota / Design & XML by WidowMakers
Map Creation Thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29184
Number of Territories: 37
Number of Continents: 5
Gameplay Features: One Way Borders

Accompanying Story:
    Your sword has had quite a workout today, mowing down the undead minions summoned by the evil sorcerer Draknor to guard his fortress. According to Belegruin, your closest friend and an expert spellcaster, this is the last room before you reach Draknor's lair. While little Garrick -- hired against your better judgement for his quick reflexes and nimble fingers -- checks the final door for traps, you sit back to rest and let the party's healer tend to your wounds.

"Hold it!" shouts Garrick, "It's a trap!"

"Then disable it and pick the lock," you answer wearily. "That's what you're here for."

"No, it's not on the door. It's the whole room. Look at the floor!"

All of you look down. The floor tiles are covered with strange sigils. They mean nothing to you, but Belegruin clearly recognizes them.

"The munchkin is right," he says. "This is a teleportation circle with glyphs of warding around the edges... we're trapped here. This enchantment is too powerful for me to break."

Just then, a deep, maniacal laughter echoes through the chamber. "You thought you might defeat me, adventurers? I am Draknor, the greatest wizard who ever lived! Now you will go where all the others who sought to infiltrate my fortress were sent: into my dungeon maze, a labyrinth of 1-way doors from which there is no escape!

Can you prove yourself worthy by conquering the entire dungeon and making it safely to the next level alive?
Recommended Gameplay Settings:
    Any
Gameplay Feature Associations:
    1) One Way Borders-All territories are connected with one way doors.
Map Description:
    The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first level of three, for this map series. Due to the fact that every door is a one way border, the way a player defends and attacks neighboring bonus areas is much trickier than on a standard two way border map.

=========================================
Feel free to post suggestions for the Map info Page

The story portion was from the original thread started by Jota. It will stay like that for to most part (theme wise) but additions and tweaks can be made to the sentences.
Major WidowMakers

Postby lanyards on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:13 pm

XML error:

The territory "Sleeping Arcade" needs to be able to attack "Altar", as they both can attack each other, according to the doors.

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Major points for the information page.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 pm

lanyards wrote:XML error:

The territory "Sleeping Arcade" needs to be able to attack "Altar", as they both can attack each other, according to the doors.

--lanyards
Thank you very much.

Fixed XML:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... L1_v02.xml

Large:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3631/dodl114lut7.jpg
Small:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3448/dodl114slr3.jpg

Map Information Page

Dungeon of Draknor - The Halls of Testing Concept by Jota / Design & XML by WidowMakers

Accompanying Story:
    Your sword has had quite a workout today, mowing down the undead minions summoned by the evil sorcerer Draknor to guard his fortress. According to Belegruin, your closest friend and an expert spellcaster, this is the last room before you reach Draknor's lair. While little Garrick -- hired against your better judgement for his quick reflexes and nimble fingers -- checks the final door for traps, you sit back to rest and let the party's healer tend to your wounds.

"Then disable it and pick the lock," you answer wearily. "That's what you're here for."

All of you look down. The floor tiles are covered with strange sigils. They mean nothing to you, but Belegruin clearly recognizes them.

"The munchkin is right," he says. "This is a teleportation circle with glyphs of warding around the edges... we're trapped here. This enchantment is too powerful for me to break."

Just then, a deep, maniacal laughter echoes through the chamber. "You thought you might defeat me, adventurers? I am Draknor, the greatest wizard who ever lived! Now you will go where all the others who sought to infiltrate my fortress were sent: into my dungeon maze, a labyrinth of 1-way doors from which there is no escape!

Can you prove yourself worthy by conquering the entire dungeon and making it safely to the next level alive?
    Any
Map Description:
    The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first level of three, for this map series. Due to the fact that every door is a one way border, the way a player defends and attacks neighboring bonus areas is much trickier than on a standard two way border map.

Figuring out how best to move about in this environment will be key to your survival and may take some extra thought.

=========================================
Feel free to post suggestions for the Map info Page

The story portion was from the original thread started by Jota. It will stay like that for to most part (theme wise) but additions and tweaks can be made to the sentences.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:18 am

Anything else?

I don't particularly like the map description text.
Does anyone have a better way to describe this?

If not then QUENCH! (maybe)

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Elijah S on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:53 am

The map looks great but I agree, the text seems a little "wordy" and may have better impact if it was chopped down some...

Most people probably don't spend more than 30 seconds reading a description.

Keyword: Paraphrase!
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:03 am

No. Not the Background Story this part....

Map Description:

Figuring out how best to move about in this environment will be key to your survival and may take some extra thought.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Krueger on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:09 am

WidowMakers wrote: [/list]Map Description:

The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first of three levels for the Draknor map series.

Because every door is a one way border, there will be new and different strategies used on this map. You may be able to attack into a room and not be able to fort out of it.
Just because a room is on your border does not mean that it is a border that must be defended, some border rooms are exit only.
This is a tricky map so pay attention to the "ins" and "outs" of the rooms.

Figuring out the best way to move about in this environment will be key to your survival and may take some extra thought.

Is this better?
Edit or modify it as you see fit.
Sergeant Krueger

Postby mibi on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:51 pm

the graphics on this map are ridiculously professional. I hope the game play can do it justice. well done wM
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I found a "2 way border". Sleeping arcade can attack into altar and altar can attack into sleeping arcade. I will have updated pics and XML by tomorrow morning.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm

mibi wrote:the graphics on this map are ridiculously professional. I hope the game play can do it justice. well done wM
Thank. That is what 40+ hours of drawing tiny little artifacts and stuff will get you. I too hope it plays well.

After the play test games, I am sure it will.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby lanyards on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:21 pm

WidowMakers wrote:I found a "2 way border". Sleeping arcade can attack into altar and altar can attack into sleeping arcade. I will have updated pics and XML by tomorrow morning.

WM

Ya, that was the one I told you to put in. Sorry.

lanyards wrote:XML error:

--lanyards
Major lanyards

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:11 am

OK here is version 15 with the edit to eliminate the "2-way" border from Sleeping arcade and altar

The arrow from altar to sleeping arcade was eliminated and the arrow from sleeping arcade to temple was switched.

XML:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... L1_v03.xml
Small:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1271/dodl115sop8.jpg
Large:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5725/dodl115lzt6.jpg

Map Information Page

Accompanying Story:

Any
Map Description:
    The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first of three levels for the Draknor map series.

Because every door is a one way border, there will be new and different strategies used on this map. You may be able to attack into a room and not be able to fort out of it.

Just because a room is on your border does not mean that it is a border that must be defended, some border rooms are exit only.
    This is a tricky map so pay attention to the "ins" and "outs" of the rooms.

Figuring out the best way to move about in this environment will be key to your survival and may take some extra thought.

==========================
Map Complexity Rating
It only has one way borders so teh gameplay is not simple but there are no special techinquies or new XML features.

I say this is a moderate to High moderate map.

Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas