Conquer Club

The Soviet Union [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Soviet Union Map

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm

iancanton wrote:
unriggable wrote:Connect the islands, that way you don't have to go through purple to get from one end of the map to the other.

the islands are now connected, but the inter-island route still goes through purple.

to avoid this, why not make the arctic islands a white continent with a zero bonus, like world 2.1's antarctica? if this is done, then a zero bonus is appropriate because severnaya zemlya and novosibirskiye ostrova both have no permanent inhabitants and, during the soviet era, neither did novaya zemlya, which was a major nuclear test site.

ian. :)

I was thinking about adding that. The zero bonus is a nice twist, though. Thanks ian.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:40 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
iancanton wrote:
unriggable wrote:Connect the islands, that way you don't have to go through purple to get from one end of the map to the other.

the islands are now connected, but the inter-island route still goes through purple.

to avoid this, why not make the arctic islands a white continent with a zero bonus, like world 2.1's antarctica? if this is done, then a zero bonus is appropriate because severnaya zemlya and novosibirskiye ostrova both have no permanent inhabitants and, during the soviet era, neither did novaya zemlya, which was a major nuclear test site.

I was thinking about adding that. The zero bonus is a nice twist, though. Thanks ian.

instead of making them a continent with 0 bonus simply leave those terits not belonging to any continent.

this way you'll save a few lines of xml code :D
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:19 pm

DiM wrote:instead of making them a continent with 0 bonus simply leave those terits not belonging to any continent.

this way you'll save a few lines of xml code :D

I insist. Make them their own continent.
Cook unriggable

Postby jasnostj on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:16 am

the russian quote has serious spelling mistakes
and get rid of the lame use of cyrillic characters in latin text
Private jasnostj

Postby d.gishman on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 pm

The quote should be Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь! you made a mistake on the first and the last word. although the cryllic thing doesn't make sense for the territories, it's funny and looks "russian" so i guess im not against it
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby jasnostj on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:59 am

d.gishman wrote:The quote should be Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь! you made a mistake on the first and the last word. although the cryllic thing doesn't make sense for the territories, it's funny and looks "russian" so i guess im not against it

Very good, Gishman. Actually, the combination of this classic but pre-Stalinist communist quote ("Proletarians of all countries, unite!") and Stalin's photo doesn't make much sense historically, since Stalin propagated 'revolution in one country' (as opposed to Trotsky), because the world-wide revolution didn't seem to be happening. You are only playing in one country anyway here. You might as well put the (Stalinist) lyrics of the anthem:

Союз нерушимый республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
Дружбы, народов надежный оплот!
Знамя советское, знамя народное
Пусть от победы, к победе ведет!

The use of cyrillic characters in latin text may be 'funny', it is also extremely cliche. EVERY SINGLE TIME I see a poster or anything about Russia, communism, E. Europe etc. there are always wrongly used cyrillic characters involved. Yes we know now that there is a reversed R in Russian (actually the letter 'ya'), haha LMAO ROFL
Private jasnostj

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 am

Thanks guys. The reason I put a picture of Stalin there is because more people recognize him than anyone else. I can see what you're saying, and I can put a line of the anthem on there (the majority would never know, anyway). As for the faux cryillic text, it's not really supposed to be funny. People wanted more "Soviet flavor" even when I had the text, so why would I take it off?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 am

Jasnotj...it would be very sporting of you to "guide" pepperonibread in a co-operative manner to help him achieve his goals with the map, rather than be overly critical.
In the spirit of cooperation, can you provide better examples for pepperonibread to use for those "errors" you identified, thus you will both be happy with outcome. :)
I am sure pepperonibread meant no harm or insult.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ps2civxr20 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm

i think it is good except that Sevastopel is spelled Sevastopol.
otherwise i say get it into the main foundry
Private ps2civxr20

Postby jasnostj on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:26 am

cairnswk wrote:Jasnotj...it would be very sporting of you to "guide" pepperonibread in a co-operative manner to help him achieve his goals with the map, rather than be overly critical.
In the spirit of cooperation, can you provide better examples for pepperonibread to use for those "errors" you identified, thus you will both be happy with outcome. :)
I am sure pepperonibread meant no harm or insult.

I didn't mean to be overly critical or uncooperative. On the contrary, I like visiting this forum to help extending the already broad map base, which is what makes CC unique, I think. Besides I love maps. Keep up the good work! I just think the faux use (nice term) of cyrillic characters is childish and cheap, that's all, just seen it done a bit too often. If it's for the Soviet flavour, there is lots of real symbols that could be used.

I also spotted some mistakes in the names of terrs and continents, didn't get to it yet though.

P.S. 'jasnostj' is Russian for 'clarity' (in the Dutch phonetic spelling, in English it would be 'yasnost'')
Private jasnostj

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:45 am

pepperonibread wrote:The reason I put a picture of Stalin there is because more people recognize him than anyone else. People wanted more "Soviet flavor" even when I had the text, so why would I take it off?

stalin is certainly appropriate. his ghost pervaded the soviet union till the very end of the latter's existence. u can even put the soviet state emblem in the top right corner if u write "union" below "soviet" in the title (in a smaller font).

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/su.html

this map deserves an update that will move it out of map ideas and into the foundry proper.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 am

iancanton wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:The reason I put a picture of Stalin there is because more people recognize him than anyone else. People wanted more "Soviet flavor" even when I had the text, so why would I take it off?

stalin is certainly appropriate. his ghost pervaded the soviet union till the very end of the latter's existence. u can even put the soviet state emblem in the top right corner if u write "union" below "soviet" in the title (in a smaller font).

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/su.html

this map deserves an update that will move it out of map ideas and into the foundry proper.

Thanks, ian. Unfortunately, I'm swamped with work on my science project. It'll all be done after Thursday, but I've been fixing a few little things, so maybe I can get an update in before then.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Rictus on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:24 am

Looking very good - no criticisms. Looking forward to update 2 and seeing the map advance...
Corporal Rictus

Postby nagerous on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 am

Whys this still in map ideas?
Captain nagerous

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 am

nagerous wrote:Whys this still in map ideas?

There has to be at least two updates before it can enter the main foundry.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:49 am

pepperonibread....are we close to getting another update soon? you have lots of supporters for this map. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:pepperonibread....are we close to getting another update soon? you have lots of supporters for this map. :)

I'm thinking Saturday... I've still got a lot of schoolwork to do. Also, what's the "what's this?" in your sig?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:pepperonibread....are we close to getting another update soon? you have lots of supporters for this map. :)

I'm thinking Saturday... I've still got a lot of schoolwork to do. Also, what's the "what's this?" in your sig?

Thanks pepperonibread....

"What's this" - something to keep you all guessing...until somebody solves it.
Private cairnswk

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Knowing you, it would be something we'd all hate yet grow to love. Like a serial rapist, only without the second part.
Cook unriggable

Postby yamahafazer on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:07 am

unriggable wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Knowing you, it would be something we'd all hate yet grow to love. Like a serial rapist, only without the second part.

Unriggable that is in VERY bad tast.
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby unriggable on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 am

yamahafazer wrote:
unriggable wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Only without the second part.
Cook unriggable

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:27 pm

unriggable wrote:
yamahafazer wrote:
unriggable wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

And here is was thinking (and hoping) that everyone would be nice....unriggable - i'm appaulled you would stoop to such low levels.
It's actually Waterloo....solved by asl80. Good work asl80.

Now back to topic of RUSSIA please.
Private cairnswk

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:22 am

unriggable wrote:
yamahafazer wrote:
unriggable wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

Ye but still. There's never any need to go down such roads. For ones who have been raped it leaves a permenant mark they have to live with till they die. It's somthing that should be taken siriosly and not in jest.

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:25 am

Cairnswk. Back to Russia as you so requested. Just one Q... are you trying to make us feal 100% dislecsik with thouse fonts??? :(

Postby militant on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:01 am

pepperonibread wrote:

When is the new update? I cant wait to play this map :D
Sergeant 1st Class militant

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas