The Soviet Union [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby joebollman36 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 pm

great map.

cant wait to play it.
Corporal joebollman36

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:03 pm

New Update:

Large:

Small:

Large Test:

Small Test:

Large 3-Digit Test:

Small 3-Digit Test:

Changes:
-Made lake between Irkutsk and Buryatia lighter, to better match with river.
-Screwed up XML tester :D (now fixed)

To do:
-To ian's other comments:
1) I'm not sure if there's a definite rule on how continent bonuses work in nested continents. For now, I'm just gonna have the Moscow bonus be in addition to that of European Russia.
2) The Kuril islands are really small, and ended up looking like black dots when I added them.
-Comments?
Last edited by pepperonibread on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal pepperonibread

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:32 am

Alright, I seriously have no idea what's going on. Whenever I test the XML, either in the actual tester or the one that just checks for errors, it gives the same message, "cannot move file The Soviet Union.xml" :?
What's more, every once in a while, the error checker actually says the XML is valid with no warnings. This shouldn't happen, because the fact that the terit Moscow is in two continents should give a warning, as should the fact that the Arctic Islands aren't in a continent. This gave me hope, anyway, hope that was crushed once I try it in the coord. tester only to fail again :lol:
Here's the newest XML, after fixing the header (which didn't help anything): http://h1.ripway.com/pepperonibread/345 ... tUnion.xml
Thanks in advance to anybody who can help :D
Corporal pepperonibread

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I got this:

Code: Select all
line 2: <map>  - Did not expect text in element map content
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 203
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:08 pm

I had that problem a while ago, and then it was suddenly fixed!

Its probably just a CC problem.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby fireedud on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:43 pm

isn't the xml supposed to start with this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

if that's not it, try changing the file name to exclude spaces.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:55 pm

fireedud wrote:isn't the xml supposed to start with this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

if that's not it, try changing the file name to exclude spaces.

Odd... if you open the file on Firefox, there's no "<?xml version="1.0"?>", but if you open it on IE, there is.
It's probably just firefox's problem, but in the actual file the header is there.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm no XML guru (where are coleman and yeti when you need them!?!) but it looks alright. I got the same error - but only when testing the large map. I could test the small map and the coordinates show up.

What's more, the map and XML test fine against the old link tester, which uses only the large map, so I suspect the XML tester may need a tweak. Check it out...
http://www.multiblah.com/cc_tester/
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey guys, I edited my update post with the XML tests. It was just a problem with the network between my laptop and desktop comp.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby yeti_c on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:01 am

pepperonibread wrote:Alright, I seriously have no idea what's going on. Whenever I test the XML, either in the actual tester or the one that just checks for errors, it gives the same message, "cannot move file The Soviet Union.xml" :?
What's more, every once in a while, the error checker actually says the XML is valid with no warnings. This shouldn't happen, because the fact that the terit Moscow is in two continents should give a warning, as should the fact that the Arctic Islands aren't in a continent. This gave me hope, anyway, hope that was crushed once I try it in the coord. tester only to fail again :lol:
Here's the newest XML, after fixing the header (which didn't help anything): http://h1.ripway.com/pepperonibread/345 ... tUnion.xml
Thanks in advance to anybody who can help :D

BTW - I think Lack removed some of those superfluous warnings - as more and more XML's were coming back with the warnings - which aren't necessary anyways...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby yeti_c on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:04 am

Gilligan wrote:I got this:

You'll get that because you Copy and Pasted the file from the link to your PC I imagine...

And that will add silly dashes in the wrong places...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Gilligan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:57 am

yeti_c wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I got this:

You'll get that because you Copy and Pasted the file from the link to your PC I imagine...

And that will add silly dashes in the wrong places...

C.

Yeah, because it didn't work the other way. Doesn't seem right.
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 203
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby iancanton on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:47 pm

pepperonibread wrote:To do:
-To ian's other comments:
1) I'm not sure if there's a definite rule on how continent bonuses work in nested continents. For now, I'm just gonna have the Moscow bonus be in addition to that of European Russia.
2) The Kuril islands are really small, and ended up looking like black dots when I added them.
-Comments?

i've just played conquer man, where there's a +5 bonus for holding conquer man plus a same-colour diamond-alien pair. the +2 bonus for conquer man is included within the +5, while the +1 bonus for each coloured diamond is additional! this is an example of inconsistency even within the same map, which is why i asked if there was a general rule that most cartos followed.

if the kuril islands are too difficult to draw well, then we shan't lose much by leaving them out, especially if they confuse people by looking like an attack route to japan.

there still seems to be a sharp change of colour in the river just as it enters the lake, but this might be an optical illusion caused by the black line surrounding the lake, which stops abruptly at the river.

ur careful positioning of the army circles is paying off. even with three digits, there's no doubt as to what each one represents.

full steam ahead!

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Bonjour...

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 pm

New Update:

Large:

Small:

Large Test:

Small Test:

Large 3-Digit Test:

Small 3-Digit Test:

Current XML (<--clicky)

Changes:
iancanton wrote:there still seems to be a sharp change of colour in the river just as it enters the lake, but this might be an optical illusion caused by the black line surrounding the lake, which stops abruptly at the river.

-The thing you said about the optical illusion gave me an idea... I faded out the black line around the lake as it gets closer to the river: "feathering" in Photoshop terms. This helps a lot, I think, because you were right, in reality the lake and the river are really the same color.

To do:
-Comments?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Wisse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:45 pm

it looks really nice :D but i think its a bit to dark
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Wisse wrote:it looks really nice :D but i think its a bit to dark

I disagree, the strong bold colors are perfect for what the community want outside the foundry. :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:57 pm

gimil wrote:
Wisse wrote:it looks really nice :D but i think its a bit to dark

I disagree, the strong bold colors are perfect for what the community want outside the foundry. :)

Agreed. I like the dark :D
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 am

i already know whats wrong, i looked at the xml test wich seems darker then the normal one (not sure why)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Map Contribution (1)

Postby jasnostj on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 am

Excellent. You've got Comrade Stalin's aproval.
Private jasnostj

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 am

jasnostj wrote:Excellent. You've got Comrade Stalin's aproval.

Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 am

Wisse wrote:i already know whats wrong, i looked at the xml test wich seems darker then the normal one (not sure why)

Really? I went on Photoshop, and the army number colors are just the same as in a game. Some were a letter or two off (in Hex RGB code, like for the player colors here: http://www.conquerclub.com/mapmaker/), but this color difference is too small for the eye to detect.
So either you've got really good eyes, Wisse, or really bad eyes :P
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 pm

i can clearly see the difference between the colour of the map of the ones with xml and the ones without, (i think it is because i have a really good monitor ;) )
but it doesn't matter because the one without xml seems great :D
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Map Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Wisse wrote:i can clearly see the difference between the colour of the map of the ones with xml and the ones without, (i think it is because i have a really good monitor ;) )
but it doesn't matter because the one without xml seems great :D

Alright, sounds good to me :)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby 1st chair flute on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm

quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it!quench it! is that enough :lol:
Blue

who needs a good signature when you look like i do
Cook 1st chair flute

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Hopefully... :)
Corporal pepperonibread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas