WWII: Battle of Gazala [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:03 pm

oaktown wrote:too much for my brain to sort out right now... lower case "d" on defenses please. The capital throws off the reading of the passage.

thanks oaktown...will do :)
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby unriggable on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Mortars are unclear.
Cook unriggable

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby asl80 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:47 pm

coming along ...

not exactly sure who's in Fortress Tobruk - are the three towns on the brown road included?

Is there any significance for the distinction between axis/allied attack lines (or is it more for setting the scene)

I'm thinking for Rommel's tanks, seen as there are so many of them and have a bonus only of three at the moment, what if they were set up similar to your planes on pearl harbour? (Poss. for Panzerarmee too.)
The mortars would be a good counter to this too - which, also, i'm not sure i understand them either. Is it a proximity thing, or attack line based? Or that they can't attack backwards to allied (i.e. graphically)territories? - or does enemy mean just the opposite player in the game, even if they are on gobi and you indian 7th?

Think the ship's red's too bright for the rest of the map.

Anyway, going good.

Can't wait to see the Desert Rats instalment with the aussies!
Captain asl80

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Poll Results (finished 3 Nov 07)

Interested in a Tobruk Trilogy - Battle of Gazala (Poll ends Nov 3)
Yes 62% [ 22 ]
No 37% [ 13 ]

Total Votes : 35

Thanks to those who voted in this poll. :)
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:04 pm

asl80 wrote:coming along ...

not exactly sure who's in Fortress Tobruk - are the three towns on the brown road included?

no...only one Tobruk is inluded in Fortress Tobruk.

Is there any significance for the distinction between axis/allied attack lines (or is it more for setting the scene)

there is a difference for Rommels tanks, as their advancement will start B,C,D,E terts i think it is as neutrals. Plus it also helps to define who was on whose side to some extent. i might change that however, if anyone has a really good suggestion.

I'm thinking for Rommel's tanks, seen as there are so many of them and have a bonus only of three at the moment, what if they were set up similar to your planes on pearl harbour? (Poss. for Panzerarmee too.)
The mortars would be a good counter to this too - which, also, i'm not sure i understand them either. Is it a proximity thing, or attack line based? Or that they can't attack backwards to allied (i.e. graphically)territories? - or does enemy mean just the opposite player in the game, even if they are on gobi and you indian 7th?

Rommel will have three regions sts...that can advance taking over neutral terts B,C,D,E.
I have yet to identify the attack possibilities for the mortars...range etc.
I might do it like PH with the AA Batteries...i am not sure yet. Suggestions welcome.

Think the ship's red's too bright for the rest of the map.

OK will dunk that a little.

Anyway, going good.

Can't wait to see the Desert Rats instalment with the aussies!

Yes i think i should have done that one first...but never mind.
Private cairnswk

Gazala V6 Update

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Version 6 Update

Changes:

1. Removal of terits for Tobruk, possibly may put them back depending on what people think.
2. Removal of the Harbor blockade - don't want to put this back as it was too much for the map.
3. Refresh some artwork, legend and attack lines
4. Spaced out the South Afrikans to given them "eye space" part. on the small map.
5. Changed the icons for the minefield lines
6. clarified some tank instructions in legend
7. coloured some tanks
8. added tuffs of desert grass

To do:
1. Change the icoms for the towns and certainly Tobruk
2. Other suggestions....

Small

Large

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Mmmmm no feedback?
Private cairnswk

Postby Aerial Attack on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Cairnswk,

It wouldn't be one of your maps if it wasn't incredibly busy, eh? *smile*

1) The tanks need a little something - not sure if it be wheels [inaccurate as tanks use belts] or raise the turrets [excellent btw] a pixel or two or ...

2) Panzeremee Afrika tank E - I assume the path to Ramsden's 50th is it's attack route? It's just that based on turret positioning it seems it could hit 22nd Art Brigate [same for tank D hitting 21st Panzers tank D]

3) 21st Panzers tank E - no clear attack route, need to add a path either to El Adem Airfield or Ritchie's 8th [if the latter, move tank E down a few pixels]. Again tank D seems like it can attack Norrie Adv Comm

4) Change the wording in the legend to "Tanks can only move/attack forward along their attack line" or something similar

I really like what you've done with the new mines. This should be an interesting and fun map to play.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby asl80 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 pm

Looking good cairns.

Seems like a big bonus for the s.african's, as well as the indians, who seem to have just 3 territories now.
(but i suppose all the bonuses are pretty high, inc. the airfields, 5 for 3 territories)

Personally, the mine field graphics are nice, except i think the purple's a little out of place. (for the cauldron)

Will wait to see what's placed in tobruk, interested to hear some thoughts on the bonuses, and are you set on the font for the title/bonus heading? (Just a personal aversion that's all)
Captain asl80

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:02 pm

Rememberance Day here in Australia....11th hour of the 11th month each year we pause for a minute to remember all those who have fallen in all wars.

Lest we forget.
Private cairnswk

Version 76 Udpate

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:31 pm

OK...here are Version 7 updates for Gazala.

Major change is that there is a new objective for this map.
Currently investigating with lackattack what is required xml wise to have the entire map as the objective, so that people cannot finish the game early or not take terits...hehehehe!!

asl80 wrote:not exactly sure who's in Fortress Tobruk

That should be much clearer now.

1. Most of aerial attack's suggestion noted and implemented.
2. Bonuses all re-worked, now that i have put Tobruk back. Not wanting to change the colour of the Cauldron minefields just yet....uncertain on this one.
3. Title font changed to stencil font.
4. Indian flag changed to the indian imperial flag.
5. Tobruk defined better...with garrisons rather than break up different continents who were garrisoned there at that time.
6. Tanks changed a bit and turrets raised.

Small

Large
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:05 am

sorry I haven't read all the thread but I have a couple of questions (maybe it gives you a perspective of someone having their first game on the map).

1. first of all, making the entire map as an objective seems very silly to me. if you eliminate your opponents, then your armies can conquer the entire map after the game is over! spending turns conquer neutral armies without an opponent is NOT what conquer club is about.

2. are you missing some attack lines in the south east? I dont see any connections to Bir el Gobi, or the airfield there.

there also appears to be some of this going on in Tobruk.

Maybe a few roads/paths just haven't been drawn yet?

3. I can't see the name of the front line of Panzers? Also, since the tank next to the one called Rommel doesn't have a name and it's connected to both lines, I don't know what group it would be in (in terms of names)

Maybe instead of repeating A B C for all of them you have different letters just for ease of viewing purposes. Might be smart considering how complicated people will find this map to be.

Edit: OK. I caught up reading the thread. I'd say attack lines are very important here, because well I had an easier time telling what was going on before with the older lines.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:39 am

edbeard wrote:sorry I haven't read all the thread but I have a couple of questions (maybe it gives you a perspective of someone having their first game on the map).

edbeard...sorry for that, but seems there is a prob with some of the layers in that i deleted some stuff and other stuff got re-sized.... i will post a fixed version shortly. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby hulmey on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:29 am

Like the idea....Afraid graphics are quite poor for your very high standards!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby unriggable on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:33 am

What the hell is "any surrounding position" for mortars? Specify in map.
Cook unriggable

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:10 pm

hulmey wrote:Like the idea....Afraid graphics are quite poor for your very high standards!

Care to expand on that Hulmey please?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:11 pm

unriggable wrote:What the hell is "any surrounding position" for mortars? Specify in map.

Unriggable.....what do you think it might mean?
Private cairnswk

tobruk

Postby WL_southerner on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:30 pm

cairn i dont know if this might help http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWtobruk.htm
might give a bit of in sight off the battle history
friends :- come and go _ i have loads of them
mates :- go and come back_only have a few
Leatsa, dh'fhàgainnsa...
Corporal WL_southerner

Re: tobruk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:35 pm

WL_southerner wrote:cairn i dont know if this might help http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWtobruk.htm
might give a bit of in sight off the battle history

Thanks for that WL_Southern...that is pertinent more so for the other maps each side of this one.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Any more comments on this one,,,before i go to work on it again?

Private cairnswk

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 pm

no offence cairswk, but i don't liek the map/idea of it, Pearl habor is all really confusing..
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Unit_2 wrote:no offence cairswk, but i don't liek the map/idea of it, Pearl habor is all really confusing..

thanks unit_2, yes it may seem confusing, but all you've got to do is study the map first and work out what can attack where...appreciate your feedback though. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Is anyone sstill interested in this map? At this rate....it might get forged by 2020
Private cairnswk

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 pm

I missed this map entirely...

Anyway, the attack routs are very cluttered ATM. you'll need to fix that though i'm not sure how.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Cairns - as ever you've created another marvel... however I'm more interested in your other maps - as I have interest in those - I know nothing about this battle...

However - stick with it... I like the idea of set routes for Tank movement...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas