Conquer Club

Duck & Cover [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:31 pm

I think because the continental color choice allowed Oaktown not to need army shadows.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Herakilla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:21 am

oaktown wrote::) Nice. I'm bracing myself for the flood of activity that Forge status may bring, if Puget and Civil War are any indication of how busy the Forge is these days.

By the way, the Final Forge announcement could stand some updating... "revived" suggests the map thread was dead, "discussion" can't make a conclusion but the participants in the discussion can, and I'm not sure what the hell "exmined" means but I bet it hurts. :wink:

it also needs a picture. final forge could have like a sword in the final stages of being forged

and quench needs a stamp to make it notarized lol

but now back to your map. i like it! a bit small for my tastes but that never stopped me from playing doodle. also i really dont think you had to bother with triple digits lol, this is another doodle basically and i doubt armies will reach 100 or more unless there is an agreed upon build game
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Incandenza on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 am

Congrats on the ff, oaktown. Somehow I doubt that you'll have the same problems as Tisha and Elijah. They made geographical maps that some consider to be graphically deficient. Your map is cartoony on purpose and graphically damn tight.

Though I must confess that I might never play it, since I'm down about 100 points on your maps (0-2 on berlin, 1-4 in checkers). :cry:
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby yamahafazer on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:16 am

It all looks good to me... congrats =D>
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:06 am

Oakey - vicious XML structure - not heard of white space or comments!!!

(Not that it really matters - it looks good to me!!)

Except...

Code: Select all
      <name>Midle East</name>

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:32 am

yeti_c wrote:Oakey - vicious XML structure - not heard of white space or comments!!!

Except...

<name>Midle East</name>

C.

Wow, good catch... territory name typos will get caught by the XML checker as inconsistencies, but continent name typos just float on through!

As for XML structure, other than my initial experience of imitating the code of other maps and later figuring out how the XML updates work, I really don't know the first thing about writing code. I could probably still put together a Lynx-compatible web site if I was pressed, but I don't suppose anybody is playing CC on a VT100 terminal. Anyway, the Midkemia map's XML was held up because gnome did something illegal in his comments, and we never figured out exactly what it was - we ended up deleted all of the comments and it worked fine. The experience left me a bit weary of anything that doesn't absolutely have to be there.
Captain oaktown

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:11 pm

oaktown wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Oakey - vicious XML structure - not heard of white space or comments!!!

Except...

<name>Midle East</name>

C.

Wow, good catch... territory name typos will get caught by the XML checker as inconsistencies, but continent name typos just float on through!

As for XML structure, other than my initial experience of imitating the code of other maps and later figuring out how the XML updates work, I really don't know the first thing about writing code. I could probably still put together a Lynx-compatible web site if I was pressed, but I don't suppose anybody is playing CC on a VT100 terminal. Anyway, the Midkemia map's XML was held up because gnome did something illegal in his comments, and we never figured out exactly what it was - we ended up deleted all of the comments and it worked fine. The experience left me a bit weary of anything that doesn't absolutely have to be there.

Fair enough...

FFR - comments look like this...

<!-- COMMENT -->

or
<!-- Comment
Over
More
than
one line-->

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Jesse710 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:47 pm

I like it! I also love the turtle! :D
Corporal Jesse710

Postby Chirondom on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Great map. One minor graphical thing, though-the stars look like snow-flakes. Maybe you ought to just put the US flag stars on it?
Corporal Chirondom

Postby oaktown on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Chirondom wrote:Great map. One minor graphical thing, though-the stars look like snow-flakes. Maybe you ought to just put the US flag stars on it?

#-o Dude, where were you 12 pages ago when I had proper stars and everybody told me to change them? In retrospect, I liked them better than the asterisks.

Old image alert!
Captain oaktown

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Good job Oak :wink:, sorry for nit-picking :oops: , but is there anyway you can put the army numbers below these territorys: Every USA territory, Greenland, Every Russian territory(but Kazahk and Siberia) , Western Europe , India and Persia .

If not please explain why.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby The Weird One on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:09 am

specify "below" please
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 am

i mean under the names, not on top or beside.

P.S. I also see that Japan, the UK and Turkey have the army numbers beside the names. I also see there is still a green line around the Black Sea, a little into the Medditerainien , the top of Turkey, around the Red sea and the top borders of Persia.

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:34 am

Unit_2 wrote:Good job Oak :wink:, sorry for nit-picking :oops: , but is there anyway you can put the army numbers below these territorys: Every USA territory, Greenland, Every Russian territory(but Kazahk and Siberia) , Western Europe , India and Persia .

...i mean under the names, not on top or beside.

P.S. I also see that Japan, the UK and Turkey have the army numbers beside the names. I also see there is still a green line around the Black Sea, a little into the Medditerainien , the top of Turkey, around the Red sea and the top borders of Persia.

While it would be great to have everything uniform, they are where they fit. I don't think there's a map on this site that has every count int he same exact place relative to the territory title... hell, in Classic some of the counts are actually sitting on the titles themselves. Japan and Korea are funny shapes so there's no way I can put the title and army count in the territory, let alone put the count below it. So unless there is any objection I would like to classify this as an unusual and unreasonable request.

As for the 'green lines,' I'll recheck all of the territories this weekend to make sure the borders and the background colors mesh.
Captain oaktown

Postby Night Strike on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:35 am

Unit_2 wrote:i mean under the names, not on top or beside.

Why??? They wouldn't fit that way with the territories the size that they are.
Major Night Strike

Postby unriggable on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:48 am

I know I'm being a hardass but in the poem replace 'threaten' with 'came by' or another two syllable synonym that goes like that since right now it sounds jagged and retardedly fucked up.
Cook unriggable

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:04 am

oaktown wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:Good job Oak :wink:, sorry for nit-picking :oops: , but is there anyway you can put the army numbers below these territorys: Every USA territory, Greenland, Every Russian territory(but Kazahk and Siberia) , Western Europe , India and Persia .

...i mean under the names, not on top or beside.

While it would be great to have everything uniform, they are where they fit. I don't think there's a map on this site that has every count int he same exact place relative to the territory title... hell, in Classic some of the counts are actually sitting on the titles themselves. Japan and Korea are funny shapes so there's no way I can put the title and army count in the territory, let alone put the count below it. So unless there is any objection I would like to classify this as an unusual and unreasonable request.

As for the 'green lines,' I'll recheck all of the territories this weekend to make sure the borders and the background colors mesh.

I concur on the numbers - they're fine where they are.

C>
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:46 am

unriggable wrote:I know I'm being a hardass but in the poem replace 'threaten' with 'came by' or another two syllable synonym that goes like that since right now it sounds jagged and retardedly fucked up.

You're looking at an old version of the map.
Captain oaktown

Postby Backglass on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:12 am

oaktown wrote:
unriggable wrote:I know I'm being a hardass but in the poem replace 'threaten' with 'came by' or another two syllable synonym that goes like that since right now it sounds jagged and retardedly fucked up.

You're looking at an old version of the map.

Hey, maybe an ice cap or something in the middle? :lol:
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 am

Pfffft late comers!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Unit_2 wrote:I also see there is still a green line around the Black Sea, a little into the Medditerainien , the top of Turkey, around the Red sea and the top borders of Persia.

I've never hid the fact that I am CC's premier color blind mapmaker :shock: so I need a bit of help... is everybody else seeing these green lines? Because all I'm seeing is the occasional blend from the border color to the regional background color.

Captain oaktown

Postby Backglass on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 pm

oaktown wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:I also see there is still a green line around the Black Sea, a little into the Medditerainien , the top of Turkey, around the Red sea and the top borders of Persia.

I've never hid the fact that I am CC's premier color blind mapmaker :shock: so I need a bit of help... is everybody else seeing these green lines? Because all I'm seeing is the occasional blend from the border color to the regional background color.

Green? :?

The only green line I see is in the lower right hand corner between the ocean and the white w/black spots area.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:23 pm

I think it's an optical illusion with the convergence of the 3 colours there... the red on one side - the blue on the other... and the "black" line in the middle - if you're eyesight's a bit off - then I suspect it will bleed the colours into one another and turn the black green...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Chirondom on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 pm

yeti_c wrote:Pfffft late comers!!!

C.
lol, I was the one who suggested adding Korea on the first few pages, but admitedly I stopped checking this thread frequently.
Corporal Chirondom

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:37 pm

nvm on the green lines, i see now that they are just color blends, but i moved the army numbers and here is what i got:

Oaktowns:

Mine:

doesn't it look much better where the army numbers are? i think so.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas