Battle For Iraq! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:58 am

Rictus wrote:Question - are the city bonuses 'stackable'? If I control two cities and have captured both the Sunni and American neutral areas, do I get both bonuses? I really like the idea of allied cities, but I’m unsure how this is gonna work in a practical sense… Also, I assume these territories are one way? Because otherwise, my opponent takes the city, then I come piling out of the ‘neutral’ flag area to take the city back, which seems at odds with what these areas are meant to represent… or am I missing something? I really really like the idea of aligning the cities, which is why all the questions about the mechanism. Good luck with this one, I hope it goes somewere.

No they are not stackable, there will be a negative bonus for owning two oposing sides, but i still need to work out the logistics of this. and yes the territories are one way, except al-queda which connect out the other way to sunni cities, I guess thats also one way tho.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Rictus on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:00 am

mibi wrote:
Rictus wrote:Question - are the city bonuses 'stackable'? If I control two cities and have captured both the Sunni and American neutral areas, do I get both bonuses? I really like the idea of allied cities, but I’m unsure how this is gonna work in a practical sense… Also, I assume these territories are one way? Because otherwise, my opponent takes the city, then I come piling out of the ‘neutral’ flag area to take the city back, which seems at odds with what these areas are meant to represent… or am I missing something? I really really like the idea of aligning the cities, which is why all the questions about the mechanism. Good luck with this one, I hope it goes somewere.

No they are not stackable, there will be a negative bonus for owning two oposing sides, but i still need to work out the logistics of this. and yes the territories are one way, except al-queda which connect out the other way to sunni cities, I guess thats also one way tho.

Thanks. That Al Qaeda idea is very interesting - I think you're right and one way will have to be the way to go on those attacks. Still, whilst it fits with the 'reality' of the war (i.e. the idea that any Sunni city could have an al-qaeda attack/takeover) I'm not sure what it does for balance - after all, I'd be inclined to always chose Al- qaeda because of the additional attack options it gives me, as well as a bonus. Anyway, it's a really interesting wrinkle in game play, and I hope it makes it to the final forge in some form..
Corporal Rictus

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby t.e.c on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:15 am

i like the idea mibi, keep up the good work

Corporal t.e.c

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby s.xkitten on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:20 am

it looks good...but i won't play it for a long long time.

I like the graphics, and how semi-complicated it looks.
Sergeant s.xkitten

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby ps2civxr20 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Coleman wrote:
ps2civxr20 wrote:6. no you shouldn't make it playable at all, you should make it so everyone can do anything and it is confusing what you can do.
I found this statement more confusing then the map by far.

Explain please?
it was a joke
Private ps2civxr20

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:42 pm

ps2civxr20 wrote:
Coleman wrote:
ps2civxr20 wrote:6. no you shouldn't make it playable at all, you should make it so everyone can do anything and it is confusing what you can do.
I found this statement more confusing then the map by far.

Explain please?
it was a joke
Ah, no wonder I didn't get it.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Suzy1 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:01 pm

:D
Last edited by Suzy1 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class Suzy1

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)

Re: In response to DIM

Postby s.xkitten on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:23 pm

Suzy1 wrote:DIM,
I am an American and have not supported the war in Iraq. However I do support our military completely. They were commanded to do a job and have bravely done so. As in all walks of life, some people make the wrong choices and do dishonorable things. Whether your comments are facts or not remains to be seen. You are wrong in every way though, to talk disgracefully about our military as though all are bad. I have 2 nephews who served in Iraq and neither of them enjoyed being there. I would love for you to sit face to face with either of them and hear their side of the story. You might be surprised at the facts you would learn. Our soldiers were rationing food and water because supplies were limited and they not knowing when more would arrive. Many of Our soldiers did without and gave their shares of food and water, to the Iraqi soldiers that surrendered to them. Would you feed the mouth that bites you? DIM? Of course you wouldn't. We know who you are. You are the oppressor that rants from the back of the crowd and would be the first one to hide behind an American soldier should he be there protecting your country and your sorry ass!

Get out of the foundry, and take it the clubhouse. There is a thread there that you may rant on whenever you like.
Sergeant s.xkitten

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Re: In response to DIM

Postby oaktown on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 pm

s.xkitten wrote:Get out of the foundry, and take it the clubhouse. There is a thread there that you may rant on whenever you like.

While I'd rather we just talk shop in the foundry, I think the concerns were appropriate since DiM started it. In his over-generalization and vilification of all Americans DiM showed that he is capable of the same type of thought that drives people to commit war crimes against people they've depersonalized, so I'll give Suzy a break on this one.

The personal/political reactions to this map may never go away. Could be a constant uphill battle. :cry:
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 pm

I feel CC, and this map, are politically neutral.

I'm not worried about people getting offended, I'll leave that to the other moderators. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:57 pm

Oh, man.... There are hardly any al-Qaeda members in Iraq. The one camp that existed before the war, which the U.S. used in its propaganda, was in Kurd territory - the Kurds who were U.S. allies.

The group calling itself "al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia" has nothing to do with the real al-Qaeda. It didn't exist before the war and the majority of members are Iraqis. It got some kuddos by the real al-Qaeda in the beginning, but it has since been condemned by al-Qaeda because of its many attacks on civilians.

It is of course still used in the neocon propaganda, and in Bush speeches that say "We are fighting them there so they won't come over here". But including al-Qaeda in the Iraq map is inaccurate, no matter what the propaganda line says.
General Gustaf Wasa

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 am

Ok... I haven't read all of the posts as I don't have time BUT!!! The very 1st thing that I can see that I think should be changed is the fact that you have a continent called "Kurd". If you are planing to split up the continents based on religon like you have with "Sunni" and "Shia" then the "Kurd" continent should realy be "Alevi" as it is very diferent to the other forms of Islam, and almost EVERY Kurd I have EVER met has been Alevi.
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby mibi on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:27 am

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Oh, man.... There are hardly any al-Qaeda members in Iraq. The one camp that existed before the war, which the U.S. used in its propaganda, was in Kurd territory - the Kurds who were U.S. allies.

The group calling itself "al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia" has nothing to do with the real al-Qaeda. It didn't exist before the war and the majority of members are Iraqis. It got some kuddos by the real al-Qaeda in the beginning, but it has since been condemned by al-Qaeda because of its many attacks on civilians.

It is of course still used in the neocon propaganda, and in Bush speeches that say "We are fighting them there so they won't come over here". But including al-Qaeda in the Iraq map is inaccurate, no matter what the propaganda line says.

feel free to edit this neocon propaganda site then,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_in_Iraq
Captain mibi

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby mibi on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:30 am

yamahafazer wrote:Ok... I haven't read all of the posts as I don't have time BUT!!! The very 1st thing that I can see that I think should be changed is the fact that you have a continent called "Kurd". If you are planing to split up the continents based on religon like you have with "Sunni" and "Shia" then the "Kurd" continent should realy be "Alevi" as it is very diferent to the other forms of Islam, and almost EVERY Kurd I have EVER met has been Alevi.

I thought kurds were sunni, I can change kurd to sunni kurd.
Captain mibi

General Contribution (3)

Postby hulmey on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:53 am

Basarah is British run terroity!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas