Conquer Club

Battle of Waterloo [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:13 pm

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Also - Wellington and Napoleon should have +2 territory bonuses (or similar) as they are the most important characters...

C.

Thanks...some re-arrangement will occur there....i think i am going to have to put all this napoleon terts in as Imperial Guards if you want to have Napoleon and Wellington as +2 bonuses.

It's upto you my friend... I think it might promote people aiming for these guys and thus promote French vs Britain (plus allies) gameplay?!

The Imperial Guards were his crack troops after all...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Herakilla wrote:first some compliments!

i like the new layout, you lost that odd outline (i know it was a hat) that really just constricted your map visually and kept it from being what it could

the legend is much more clear now i like it a lot better and i think many will agree with me

its much easier to discern the general area of a commander due to each having their own shade of red or blue, definatly a plus

the flags are a huge improvement over the helmets for commanders

Thanks Herakilla....glad there are things that please you, of course. :)

now for more suggestions!

underline 2 in your name explanation, you underline the letter and type of unit but not the number

Done...for next version.

for the farms maybe you could color them brown with rows of green (remember how farms look on age of empires 1 and 2?)

the hedges on L17 and B11 seem a little wierd, parts of it seem brighter than any other hedge

good job cairn!

*yes i was thinking along those lines for the farms...
* hedges on LI7 were aroud the wrong way...fixed.
* yes....there are two shades of hedges being used in the map, that's why some look different and brighter.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 pm

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:It's upto you my friend... I think it might promote people aiming for these guys and thus promote French vs Britain (plus allies) gameplay?!

C.

Yes....they were supposed to be....working on changing that now....
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:It's upto you my friend... I think it might promote people aiming for these guys and thus promote French vs Britain (plus allies) gameplay?!

C.

Aren't you supposed to be in bed? It must be well early over there?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Aren't you supposed to be in bed? It must be well early over there?

C.

No...i was up until 2AM working on this last night, and got up again at 6:30Am...it is now 8:45AM.
I want to get the majority of this done this weekend if possible as I go back to real work next week.....oh hum!!! :wink:
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 pm

As it is I am going to have to duck out for a few hours to get some stuff...we have a cyclone (hurricane) hanging around that is heading very slowly for us....it's only a small one but that makes no difference...so i had better get prepared. :roll:
Private cairnswk

Postby Aerial Attack on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:53 pm

Wow. Incredible update !!!

I really like the new color scheme. Three comments:

1) Wellington currently has no actual armies - seems like you are fixing this by making him have a group for a + bonus

2) Chasse is the only one [other than Ney - who has a short enough name that it doesn't really matter] who doesn't use the first initial. It's hard enough to go what the heck is S? But considering that the Cavalry is in front of Wellington and the Infantry is way over on the left of the map ...

I don't know if you placed them like that for historical accuracy or what not, but I think that all of Chasse's armies should be stuck together due to the difference in naming scheme.

I also think that H (2nd) or E (last) would be a better choice than S for Chasse's designator.

3) HM is a farm house covering 3 terrs. Each of the other Farm houses consists of 1 terr. That makes holding the bonus considerably different. Also - basically 3 terrs for a +3 bonus, whilst the villages are 6 terrs (no options) for the same +3

OR does the any 3 farm houses actually mean any 3 farm house territories (in which case +3 is high for 3 potentially contiguous terrs).

- Aerial Attack
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby mibi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 pm

I admire your efforts cairns as the legends are much better and concise. but one thing this is missing now is that it no longer looks like a battle field with al the color every where. Currently it looks like a cross between a Lux map and some candy coated meditation on the strategic form.

you already have the blue an red in the little icons, please return the actually fields and such to greens and browns and yellows so it looks like a battlefield again.
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:06 am

Aerial Attack wrote:Wow. Incredible update !!!

I really like the new color scheme.

Thanks Aerial attack... :)
I'm working on this map while I'm half watching and listening to Gods and Generals DVD.

1) Wellington currently has no actual armies - seems like you are fixing this by making him have a group for a + bonus

In the next version (posting soon) Napoleon has his own +2 bonus also.
Now this was suggested to do by yeti_c...so this may change. This was a general bonus for having either of these two leaders....i think + 1 might be more appropriate by themsleves, or +2 for any either leader plus any other commander.

2) Chasse is the only one [other than Ney - who has a short enough name that it doesn't really matter] who doesn't use the first initial. It's hard enough to go what the heck is S? But considering that the Cavalry is in front of Wellington and the Infantry is way over on the left of the map ...

I don't know if you placed them like that for historical accuracy or what not, but I think that all of Chasse's armies should be stuck together due to the difference in naming scheme.

I also think that H (2nd) or E (last) would be a better choice than S for Chasse's designator.

OK...i will change to H for Chasse.

Also, the underline will be remived from Wellington and Napoleon, and the N given over to Ney.

The Imperial Guard will have to be named Imp. Guard and the m will be their designator.

The Dutch Chasse near Wellington were historical reference, however i have now split them and made one for Uxbridge, and the other for Clinton Artillery 4.

3) HM is a farm house covering 3 terrs. Each of the other Farm houses consists of 1 terr. That makes holding the bonus considerably different. Also - basically 3 terrs for a +3 bonus, whilst the villages are 6 terrs (no options) for the same +3

OR does the any 3 farm houses actually mean any 3 farm house territories (in which case +3 is high for 3 potentially contiguous terrs).

Yes i still have that one to sort out, but will note your suggestion.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:10 am

mibi wrote:I admire your efforts cairns as the legends are much better and concise. but one thing this is missing now is that it no longer looks like a battle field with al the color every where. Currently it looks like a cross between a Lux map and some candy coated meditation on the strategic form.

you already have the blue an red in the little icons, please return the actually fields and such to greens and browns and yellows so it looks like a battlefield again.

OK mibi....i understand where you are coming from.

Perhaps we need to do a poll on this one, to see what the foundry wants....i am kind of in two minds about the colour schemes. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:57 am

that is alot better cairswk.

*edit* i must have been drunk when i wrote this, lol
Last edited by Unit_2 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

POLL for TERRITORY COLOURS - Ends 21 Nov 07

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:48 am

POLL - Ends 21 Nov 07

To Decide Territory Coloring....

Option A - Battlefield colours of green, yellows and browns with appropriate legend colours and design

Option B - Continent/Territory colors as per the bonus bars & names

Private cairnswk

Postby asl80 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:38 am

great rework of the map cairns.

I reakon the greens and the field impression is essential. However the blue/red distinctions are also important for getting a sense of Wellington v's Napolean (as well as for the bonus, i.e commander, distinctions).

My suggestions would thus involve either;
- having different shades of greens/browns for the different bonus regions, or, most favourably;
- keeping the red/blue territory border glows/shades with the green(s) replacing what was essentially just the grey territory fill colour (with a slight reduction in the size/width of the red/blue shading.
{i.e. i want the best of both of these - amalgamation!}

- The other thing to consider is that while the red and blue shaded colour schemes of the legend's work well for the "city -concrete- like" design. With the green option, however, which i would like to see remain, the legend colours might need to be toned down a bit, or perhaps just "deepened" or darkened, within the existing red's/blue's. (Maybe instead of having the white light glow, make it more of a darker shadow to blend with the darker properties of greens and browns).

Also - might need to enhance or enlarge the fences, which are a little to small at the moment. (at least near D17)
Lieutenant asl80

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:43 am

asl80 wrote:- having different shades of greens/browns for the different bonus regions, ;

2nded
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:58 pm

asl80 wrote:{i.e. i want the best of both of these - amalgamation!}

asl80 and mibi...this is what your "blended" version might start to look like.

Now that is a candy box Lux Deluxe Supreme if ever I saw one :roll:

Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:
asl80 wrote:{i.e. i want the best of both of these - amalgamation!}

asl80 and mibi...this is what your "blended" version might start to look like.

Now that is a candy box Lux Deluxe Supreme if ever I saw one :roll:

I was thinking more like this..

I only did a few territories but you get the idea. You can still tell which is red and which is blue by the colors icons, so there is no need to get crazy with the colors... also, it actually looks like a battle field this way. ;)
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:58 pm

mibi wrote:I only did a few territories but you get the idea. You can still tell which is red and which is blue by the colors icons, so there is no need to get crazy with the colors... also, it actually looks like a battle field this way.

OK thanks mibi now i understand...that obviously is one path i hadn't gone down.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:45 pm

Unit_2 wrote:that is alot better cairswk.

*edit* i must have been drunk when i wrote this, lol

at your age :?: but yes it does seem familiar Hehehehehe :wink:
Private cairnswk

Version 12 Update

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Version 12 Update

I am much happier with the direction that this is proceeding in now that i have got some curves back into the design. Fir me, it give it more fluidy to flow....

Small

Large

Private cairnswk

Postby asl80 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm

bit busy now - but a massive imporvement - good direction.
Lieutenant asl80

Re: Version 12 Update

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:48 pm

cairnswk wrote:Version 12 Update

I am much happier with the direction that this is proceeding in now that i have got some curves back into the design. Fir me, it give it more fluidy to flow....

Small

Large

cairswk, can you change the color of the borders in "D" area? it is really hard to see where the lines are because of the colors are close to the same, also in the "R" area its hard to see though not as hard as the "D" area.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby gimil on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:51 pm

my god cairns what hte hell is this :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

its going to take me a while to get my head around this one but im liking the concept so far.

but one thing im finding difficult is identified the villages and farms any way to make this less of a problem?

EDIT: nevermind i ee how its worknig now lol
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby mibi on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:53 pm

that is much better.
Captain mibi

Postby Herakilla on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 pm

unit 2 is right, maybe a black border would work though. it might take away from the fieldness feel of the map (lol) and i like this a lot better than the others, it looks more like a field

farms and villas need to be one consistent color for each respectively

and i personally think that allowing the artilleries to bombard any target of the OPPOSITE army's troops on their side of the road will allow for interesting game play and more realism to the battle. (after all, why would an artillery bombard its own troops for one, but not be able to hit the enemy as well?) this also puts a lot of power in the artilleries and makes them a crucial part of any strategy, i believe that people said earlier that the artillery should play a bigger role in the map and this would do that!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:58 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Major improvement. Now I'll begin to follow this map. Excellent work cairns
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas